Netflix, Chromecast & 5.1 dialog levels

Hi guys,

I'm curious if anyone else has issues with Netflix 5.1 dialog levels? Basically in order to actually hear the dialog I have to crank it so loud that every bang, clang or crash leaves us bleeding from the ears. I know this is a fairly common problem in itself but for us its only Netflix that I have this problem with as all other sources including other streaming services are perfect. We stream our stuff via a newer Chromecast and system wise I'm running a 7.1 setup via a Marantz SR6006. Speakers are a combination of Paradigm Monitor 11's (including center) up front and little B&W 601 S3's for surrounds. It's all a few years old but it can certainly handle Dobly Digital Plus which is what Netflix content is supposed to stream in (the amp does support and recognise it as DD+)

I've tried this on my back room setup too and I have the same problem.  I also tried it on a spare Onkyo amp and again the same problem. I also tried another generation of the Chromecast and again the same problem. The Audyssey Dynamic Volume settings on the Onkyo and Marantz seem to be the only thing to reign it all in it but that is just compressing the dynamic range which I really shouldn't have to do. Pushing the center channel throws it out of whack for all other sources so thats not really an option.

It's been driving me nuts for nearly 12 months as most of our casual/daily viewing is Netflix. My Mrs is happy with the dynamic audio setting on high and I find it tolerable enough for casual viewing BUT it's not right if you know what I mean. I can find a few other reports of similar issues via a google search but not many and it's mostly people trying to down-mix 5.1 to their soundbars etc.

Is it just me???

Does the Chomecast actually allow for 5.1 to be played in STRAIGHT mode on your AVR? (Netflix doesn’t do 7.1, only 5.1). If all channels are playing sound (7.1), then it might be a case of the sound being ‘enhanced’ rather than playing naturally via the discrete channels. Therefore voice is coming through multiple speakers rather than just your centre channel.

In a nut shell, change AVR setting to ‘Straight’ or ‘Direct’.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with Apple TV (Netflix) recently where the voice sounded muddy, and when turning up the volume to hear it a little more clearly, it would be overrun by the crash and bang audio of the scene - turn the volume up, turn the volume down (it was a pain).  I thought i had everything set up correctly, however someone (wife) must have pressed on one of the AVR buttons changing the settings. 

Anyway, by changing back to STRAIGHT on the AVR (i'm currently running 3.0), it immediately made all the difference. Voice is now completely clear, and no need to keep adjusting the volume. 

• Like 1

Do other video streaming services such as Stan for example have the same problem through the Chromecast?

If there is an overall volume for the Chromecast, set it to maximum.

If there is an overall volume for Nexflix via the Chromecast, set it to maximum.

16 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Do other video streaming services such as Stan for example have the same problem through the Chromecast?

If there is an overall volume for the Chromecast, set it to maximum.

If there is an overall volume for Nexflix via the Chromecast, set it to maximum.

No other services have this issue its just Netflix. I have had a look at the apps for volume settings but I haven't found any.

23 minutes ago, Tim001 said:

No other services have this issue its just Netflix. I have had a look at the apps for volume settings but I haven't found any.

Then it doesn't seem possible that your AVR is an issue.

I use the DD+ 5.1 stream and down mix it to stereo and have not noticed any perceivable volume differences compared to Blu-ray discs.

34 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Then it doesn't seem possible that your AVR is an issue.

I use the DD+ 5.1 stream and down mix it to stereo and have not noticed any perceivable volume differences compared to Blu-ray discs.

That is what I thought too. I've been blaming a dud mix from Netflix (however unlikely) for months but you'd think if that was the case there would be more than just me having issues with it. Dynamic Volume does a good job of sorting it out but I only see that as a workaround. I turn Dyn Audio off for all other sources as they work perfectly. It's just one of those niggling little annoyances

I have to play with the center volume every now and then on Netflix for movies, but TV shows especially the Netflix branded shows sound really good on my Chromecast ultra (Godless and Dirk Gently for example). I did found The Punisher had really low dialogue and super loud actions sounds, but the Onkyo's quick menu allowed me to boost the center on the input which is reset after turning the amp off. Nothing like that on your AVR?

11 minutes ago, PauliD said:

I have to play with the center volume every now and then on Netflix for movies, but TV shows especially the Netflix branded shows sound really good on my Chromecast ultra (Godless and Dirk Gently for example). I did found The Punisher had really low dialogue and super loud actions sounds, but the Onkyo's quick menu allowed me to boost the center on the input which is reset after turning the amp off. Nothing like that on your AVR?

Yeah I can boost the channel pretty quickly via a quick menu but I'm not sure if it resets. Dynamic Audio has its own button on the remote so it's even easier. For me it's almost all Netflix content though which can be really frustrating but you're right in that movies are the worst offender. I haven't watched Dirk or Godless but I might give them a go and see what the dialog is like.

• Like 1

The first thing I'd do is check all calibration settings.  Run the auto cal mic first and then check that with an SPL meter.  Be sure you are actually running a reference level (00dB) of +75dB/CH.  If you don't have an SPL meter, you can download a free phone app from Keuwlsoft.  Once installed, the phone app needs to be calibrated and this can be done but playing and measuring the left front channel at 00dB and then entering +75dB into the cal input on the app.  Once that is set, measure and adjust each channel in turn.    

If your system offers more than one profile, you could set up a "special' profile for NETFLIX to compensate for overly loud soundtracks.  I am generally against simply upping the centre and or surrounds of a system because the soundtracks are balanced.  If they don't sound right on your system, then it is your system (including the room), not the soundtracks.