Are all XLR to RCA cables wired the same?

I have a reel to reel tape deck with balanced connections and an amp with unbalanced connections. I assume that an XLR to RCA cable will be unbalanced. 

The reason I ask the question is because of the diagram below. 

If I get a standard XLR to RCA cable will it be wired in the unbalanced way as shown below? 

20180107_181354.thumb.jpg.8d7391c8110da9ffe30fd5f807f92267.jpg

The above diagram is from an Otari MX 5050 manual. 

Thanks, 

Any advice is welcome. 

Definitely not. Early '80s (I believe 1983 from memory), was when they standardised the XLR pin configuration so that Pin 2 was hot. Prior to this, there was no standard and so Pin 2 and 3 were used for hot depending on the country of manufacture. 

If you buy a new cable they'll be Pin 2 hot unless specified, and may or may not be bridged for cold to ground. You may be able to ask for one made as per your diagram depending on who's making it up for you. I can offer this if you're interested. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Krispy Audio said:

Definitely not. Early '80s (I believe 1983 from memory), was when they standardised the XLR pin configuration so that Pin 2 was hot. Prior to this, there was no standard and so Pin 2 and 3 were used for hot depending on the country of manufacture. 

If you buy a new cable they'll be Pin 2 hot unless specified, and may or may not be bridged for cold to ground. You may be able to ask for one made as per your diagram depending on who's making it up for you. I can offer this if you're interested. 

That's for sure............you nearly always had to test every cable before plugging it in!

Especially in hire gear.

• Like 2