Solar

Many people choose to purchase Power Conditioners etc to use with "noisy" power supplies. I  understand that for most of Australia our power is good enough not to need these. However I have solar panels, 5kw. Do solar panels have any detrimental affect to the power being supplied to the house in regard to HiFi systems?

• 2 weeks later...

For a start that would probably depend on your inverter. Is it a true sine wave inverter? What standards does it meet? What power is your system drawing from it on startup or when operating, etc. Check the manual speak to the supplier. I am just about to switch on a 5.4Kw system myself, (no battery backup) so will be investigating these issues myself in the following days.

Edited by PicoWattson

Some discussion in old thread..

Did not notice a difference to the HiFi when the solar panels went in. Also, did a comparison with inverter off and on. HiFi has filtered AC power supply and critical components have low noise PSUs.

For reference, using a Fronius Symo 3 phase inverter in a new house.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Did not notice a difference to the HiFi when the solar panels went in. Also, did a comparison with inverter off and on. HiFi has filtered AC power supply and critical components have low noise PSUs.

Thanks, That was interesting if somewhat inconclusive.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, :) al said:

Like snoopy, I have been running solar a while. No difference to audio quality here

My "problem" , if I am looking to find one, is that I had my solar panels before I had my new system. Long time between drinks.. FWIW I am more than happy with everything but COULD IT BE BETTER!!!!!!!!!:emot-bang:;):party

I have a 4Kw solar system with micro inverters for each panel.  I never noticed an issue.  However not because of the solar I subsequently purchased a GigaWatt PC-3 SE EVO conditioner which I thought did provide a noticeable sound improvement. 

Interestingly at approximately 9.30/10 pm every night I consider that something happens with the power and life soundwise is slightly  better.

John

20 hours ago, crisis said:

My "problem" , if I am looking to find one, is that I had my solar panels before I had my new system. Long time between drinks.. FWIW I am more than happy with everything but COULD IT BE BETTER!!!!!!!!!:emot-bang:;):party

Rather than chasing down the solar rabbit hole, I think you are better off looking at other sources of improvement eg. room treatment, power conditioner (especially when you have an old house and old wiring), cables, components etc. Besides, inverters are not cheap and there is little info to say which ones are better for audio.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:12 AM, Snoopy8 said:

On 1/16/2018 at 11:14 AM, :) al said:

Like snoopy, I have been running solar a while. No difference to audio quality here

Like the boys, no difference.:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Rather than chasing down the solar rabbit hole,  

I was really interested in any advice from trades people or people with electronics backgrounds as to if there could be an issue. My "could be better" comment was partially in jest. It can always be. That's our affliction. :thumb:

I think you are better off looking at other sources of improvement eg. room treatment,  

I wish but that may upset the Complaints Department...

power conditioner (especially when you have an old house and old wiring

Mine is new-ish and I wouldn't waste my money on a power supply to supply my equipment that came with a power supply. I am going to have a separate power run from the fuse box to the outlet for my system but thats because I have a mate that can do it for $100. :thumb:

, cables,   

Again I intend to add some RG213/U as speaker cable at some stage and I have done the RCA interconnects.

components etc 

All newbies. Will be looking at a new cart though.

. Besides, inverters are not cheap and there is little info to say which ones are better for audio.

Yeah I never intended to replace the one I have and as you say, I have never heard, yet, of an audiophile inverter. I suspect there are probably plenty though.

Hi

OP, no solar panels do nothing to hurt system SQ

CHeap CHina Inverters that punch the ac output to the grid do

Best thing is, these inverters are failing quite a lot at the moment and won't be long will have them all replaced

10 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

IMHO...yes there is...only minor but definitely there...

Waiting on @125dBmonster...who does solar for a living...

And now has a completely of the grid battery setup for his music...

Correct.

Now with the Twins.

Best thing since sliced bread

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Hi

OP, no solar panels do nothing to hurt system SQ

CHeap CHina Inverters that punch the ac output to the grid do

Best thing is, these inverters are failing quite a lot at the moment and won't be long will have them all replaced

We've had ours for around 4 or 5 years with no problem. Is that good?

Can you name names? :)

edit. FWIW I think my system sounds fine and cant hear any noticeable "noise"  BUT CAN IT BE BETTER!!!!!? :P

Edited by crisis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crisis said:

"noise"  BUT CAN IT BE BETTER!!!!!?

Great, good work

No, not really but a great length is gone to making correctly orientated tailored power supply specifically for the fussy domestic Audiophile, if that's worth anything.

Has actually come through a few decades now, so building another one to run a professional rig.

Running this type of supply can have effects like

"gee that battery powered (insert whatever battery powered TT ,amp, filter, whatever) is black quiet,sounds dynamic, has spacious, engaging attributes. Sounds the same, year in, year out reliable solid supply.

Can be verified by other Members, specifics.

Has been a lot of fun and I actually figure I've saved in money using solar electricity about the actual cost of building the power supply from scratch over 12 years, that's about right actually as I purchased the 22Kwh battery for the second system 3 years ago, (my system power supply is 18 years old)  last year the inverter 4.2Kva Magnasine, 24v, gutsy beasty for running amps.

Edited by Guest