Benje

The 2018 Hi-Fi Show (Melbourne)

3 hours ago, blybo said:

Very impressed with the Isoacoustics demo and bought some monitor desk stands for my office setup which will get installed this arvo.

:blink:... let's see how this goes then...

:frantics:

Yup these things work! I've gone from having my Audioengine A5+ office speakers installed on my desk with concrete pavers and their own brand of tilting rubberised stand to just these isoACOUSTICS and bloody hell, my speakers just got a hell of a lot clearer, more... :rolleyes: air around the instruments, more bass and less glare. 

Now wondering what they could do with my home speakers.

image.thumb.png.037ec2fb37c4fdf38151316732c77a8c.png

I think I was there when he was telling you this about the beveller. To be honest, it sounded like snake oil peddling to me as an outside observer...

Ha ha, I was in disbelief too. I held back from saying that maybe the problem could have been the design of the CD player?

Think they were relieved to go back to Dino on the turntable.

I had chosen the CDs carefully and had listened to them the night before! I knew the musical elements that drew me to the performance . Hence my disappointment in the reproduction in both musical and Hifi elements.

And when I listened to them when I returned home I knew the CD didn’t need bevelling 🤣!!

2 hours ago, vivianbl said:

Got a chance to use one of my CDs in another room with Martin Logan’s. Not wanting to be embarrassed again I used another CD. ....
Something must be wrong with my CDs☹️.

Dunno about your CDs but there was something wrong with that room… very disappointing indeed :( 

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Dunno about your CDs but there was something wrong with that room… very disappointing indeed :( 

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I kept going in there expecting some Martin Logan magic but got only midfi disappointment...

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Muddy sound was how I'd describe it. I had forgotten how disappointed I was in that room.

Just now, blybo said:

Muddy sound was how I'd describe it. I had forgotten how disappointed I was in that room.

Muddy bass and thin, scratchy top end

17 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Muddy bass and thin, scratchy top end

I do believe it was Emotiva amplification and source? I don't think they were up to the task...

I do find it interesting that people do critical listening at a hifi show.

No harm in saying what you heard at the show, but I figure Hifi shows give you a "flavour" (so to speak) of different equipment, if you are keen on something you would go to demo what you like at the dealer/retailer for critical listening.

but then I could be totally wrong.. :unsure:

Edited by Yngvi

Blybo

i was impressed by the isoacoustics demo as well.

i don’t have a need for that product in my setup, but the improvement was impressive. Not cheap but effective.

4 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I think I was there when he was telling you this about the beveller. To be honest, it sounded like snake oil peddling to me as an outside observer...

He must have been telling everyone.This sounds like his youtube clip..

I was impressed with 

- dean martin

- sgr’s

- the little Krix horn

- the Osborn’s - I guessed wrong which speakers were playing

- the Selby  acoustics $5000 home theatre system including 5.1, receiver, projector and screen. Value for $

- the Sonus Fabre demo with/without a REL subwoofer pair fed from the speaker crossover (I think).

- the isoacoustics demo

i was disappointed in the Martin Logan room - it didn’t sound right.

the krix theatre was outstanding. I appreciated that the 25 minutes was a lot of explanation( I now understand what object means in atmos V’s pre mixed 5.1 channels).

yes I’d love a longer listening session there but the presentation was excellent.

i am encouraged to go home and tweak my sub setting to get that right. And get my tv calibrated (rec709 coming next week).

thanks all including those I didn’t mention (incl VAF - the new products look interesting) and to Martin Logan - I’ll look out next time because I’m sure it will sound better.

benje

1 hour ago, Benje said:

Blybo

i was impressed by the isoacoustics demo as well.

i don’t have a need for that product in my setup, but the improvement was impressive. Not cheap but effective.

yep it was ... its not like hey I think there is a difference... but more like... blow me down... is this for real ??? what the heck !! :D 

I thought ‘Is this the k-tel magic vegetable slicer or the sham-wee wash cloth.’

no this seems to be the real deal.

i think. Good demo isoacoustics 

Edited by Benje

We have them doing service under the wife’s Neumann monitors.17D50C50-EDC8-480D-9C06-C2D6779AC8A7.thumb.jpeg.79fdf7b0f0e19ccd242d5958dedcece8.jpeg20768D1C-9FDF-49BD-B152-3B770E54784C.thumb.jpeg.c6f4c9481301683bfb4d069188704e33.jpeg

Great reports guys, appreciated.

Was anyone displaying (or playing) the Dan Agostino range of amplifiers?

Or dare I say it, any Krell amps as no one has mentioned this brand either.

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I do believe it was Emotiva amplification and source? I don't think they were up to the task...

+1

Sponsor
14 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Biggest disappointment for me was the Krix demo (there I said it). Too much talking and not enough demoing but the icing on the cake was after having to secure your spot weeks in advance we were told they were reducing the volume by 10db as there were a few kids in the room (OH&S apparently) and as such also only played kid friendly clips so with all that potential in the room I never got to experience it 😭

Hi @Tubularbells, perfectly fine to say that - and I would have to be in agreeance. Being honest, we just weren't prepared enough for the kids to be coming through early on - while I did have a 15+ age warning on the ticket booking page there were a few families on Saturday that hadn't seen the booking page to know. I tried my best to have a chat to each of the parents but couldn't get to everyone. In hindsight, we probably would have created a 'kid friendly' session... on that same note though, many people weren't prepared to wait even 15 mins to the next session, let alone one at a specific time of day.

There were almost no children on Friday, minimal on Saturday and tons on Sunday! There were a lot more walk-ins on Sunday, and we were better prepared with ear-plugs and content - however it doesn't change the fact you were shortchanged for your demo, and I completely agree that the kid friendly demos were quite lacking in comparison to the others . My apologies and I wish I had have known, as I would have tried to get you back after the last session (or another session) for a movie pick of your choice. All going well in Sydney next year, if we can replicate the scale of the room, please let me know if you are attending and I'll get you in for the calibration and 'full' test of the system.

For your info, when I showed Scott your Simpsons video on the other thread (weeks before the show) he couldn't stop laughing. So I know he would have wanted you to get the whole experience.

Moving on, thanks for everyone's comments and it's great to hear that so many enjoyed our demo, our crew got just as much a kick out of it as you. We managed to find some tricky and very unique problems that come with a world-first demo of this scale, which meant that most of us were lucky to get to bed before midnight for the three nights before the show. We were even re-plugging cables and adjusting the equipment 7 minutes before the first demo! We got there in the end, and while we ran a reliable and solid setup for the demos, we think that the large majority of attendees took a lot away from it, whether it be a little more learnt about what immersive audio is, or just the huge grins we could see on the faces of viewers.

We have learnt a lot and if doing similar next year we will perhaps host some more advanced sessions for forum members/tech-heads that go a little longer and are more technical, or a 'BYO movie' session to test out your favourite scenes. Just some ideas... if anyone has any, we would love to hear them.

From our whole team, it was an absolute pleasure to meet so many friendly and passionate people at the show - forum members and newcomers alike. I think the vast range of attendees speaks a lot for the organisation of the show and the audience it was able to reach. We thoroughly enjoyed it, so thank you to all who attended.

Cheers,
Michael

To answer your question @superaaaa, we should have some photos on our facebook/blog soon or as @Pete54mentioned, Selby have some up on their facebook page already. As for acoustic treatment, we had around 60 Sonitus panels (as used by many rooms around the show) and around 35 Martini Absorb 100mm panels as well.

Thanks for the info @Krix Loudspeakers Michael. I personally would love to see a member specific session for future demos of this nature - make it into a gtg.

I'd happily fly from Perth just to be involved in something like that.

Would also love to see the calibration and testing process - where do I sign up :)   

As always, a fantastic event that showcased sensational individual components as well as combinations that were jaw-dropping. Many of which were home grown, very pleasing to see.

Record Fair was also a winning addition - picked myself up some great new (old) jazz vinyl.

Thanks @Krix Loudspeakers/Mike. Whilst my experience was disappointing I do appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing the system "off the leash" at some point in the future. I reckon playing the Simpsons THX trailer through that system would be epic.

Only have a couple of pics of the room but here they are anyway.

20181013_105341.thumb.jpg.7bffde9286ae2a42f24450e803ccb699.jpg

20181013_110209.thumb.jpg.9a5acc356420e94e2edd9abc287731ac.jpg

20181013_110219.thumb.jpg.6345e1d298b718208b0703c407bbab66.jpg

20181013_110227.thumb.jpg.4e87b8ab342565a6630f239ba59a2a3f.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells

@Tubularbells what a pity you ended up in the kid friendly version. I wish I had known, would have messaged you as there was actually an empty spot next to me at the 3pm showing i was in and that was full tilt ! 

@Krix Loudspeakers I didnt get a chance to talk, but I so wanted to ask if you were going to pack this system up to take other places for others to experience. great to hear taking to sydney next year. was there any plans to take to CES in 2019 ?  this has got to be taken to the world ! ... it was THAT good !  great to hear you are using some other aussie products too in the system, like the Elektra amps customised for yourselves for power :)

I've found my self being critical of sound in a few rooms which I must apologise to exhibitors and @Marc for.

I think at these pretty high end events I'm holding demo's to unrealistic expectations and sure I'd be more than delighted with all but 1 or 2 of the systems demo'ed in my own home. I guess I'm really just pointing out what were the minor weaknesses in a couple of otherwise highly commendable systems that could be sorted over time to my own preferences if I happened to own them.