2018 Melbourne International Hi-Fi Show - Reports & Feedback

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Dunno about your CDs but there was something wrong with that room… very disappointing indeed :( 

Muddy sound was how I'd describe it. I had forgotten how disappointed I was in that room.

I do find it interesting that people do critical listening at a hifi show.

No harm in saying what you heard at the show, but I figure Hifi shows give you a "flavour" (so to speak) of different equipment, if you are keen on something you would go to demo what you like at the dealer/retailer for critical listening.

but then I could be totally wrong.. :unsure:

Edited by Caelian
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I think I was there when he was telling you this about the beveller. To be honest, it sounded like snake oil peddling to me as an outside observer...

He must have been telling everyone.This sounds like his youtube clip..

I was impressed with 

- dean martin

- sgr’s

- the little Krix horn

- the Osborn’s - I guessed wrong which speakers were playing

- the Selby  acoustics $5000 home theatre system including 5.1, receiver, projector and screen. Value for $

- the Sonus Fabre demo with/without a REL subwoofer pair fed from the speaker crossover (I think).

- the isoacoustics demo

i was disappointed in the Martin Logan room - it didn’t sound right.

the krix theatre was outstanding. I appreciated that the 25 minutes was a lot of explanation( I now understand what object means in atmos V’s pre mixed 5.1 channels).

yes I’d love a longer listening session there but the presentation was excellent.

i am encouraged to go home and tweak my sub setting to get that right. And get my tv calibrated (rec709 coming next week).

thanks all including those I didn’t mention (incl VAF - the new products look interesting) and to Martin Logan - I’ll look out next time because I’m sure it will sound better.

benje

1 hour ago, Benje said:

Blybo

i was impressed by the isoacoustics demo as well.

i don’t have a need for that product in my setup, but the improvement was impressive. Not cheap but effective.

yep it was ... its not like hey I think there is a difference... but more like... blow me down... is this for real ??? what the heck !! :D 

• Like 1

I thought ‘Is this the k-tel magic vegetable slicer or the sham-wee wash cloth.’

no this seems to be the real deal.

i think. Good demo isoacoustics 

Edited by Benje

14 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Biggest disappointment for me was the Krix demo (there I said it). Too much talking and not enough demoing but the icing on the cake was after having to secure your spot weeks in advance we were told they were reducing the volume by 10db as there were a few kids in the room (OH&S apparently) and as such also only played kid friendly clips so with all that potential in the room I never got to experience it ?

Hi @Tubularbells, perfectly fine to say that - and I would have to be in agreeance. Being honest, we just weren't prepared enough for the kids to be coming through early on - while I did have a 15+ age warning on the ticket booking page there were a few families on Saturday that hadn't seen the booking page to know. I tried my best to have a chat to each of the parents but couldn't get to everyone. In hindsight, we probably would have created a 'kid friendly' session... on that same note though, many people weren't prepared to wait even 15 mins to the next session, let alone one at a specific time of day.

There were almost no children on Friday, minimal on Saturday and tons on Sunday! There were a lot more walk-ins on Sunday, and we were better prepared with ear-plugs and content - however it doesn't change the fact you were shortchanged for your demo, and I completely agree that the kid friendly demos were quite lacking in comparison to the others . My apologies and I wish I had have known, as I would have tried to get you back after the last session (or another session) for a movie pick of your choice. All going well in Sydney next year, if we can replicate the scale of the room, please let me know if you are attending and I'll get you in for the calibration and 'full' test of the system.

For your info, when I showed Scott your Simpsons video on the other thread (weeks before the show) he couldn't stop laughing. So I know he would have wanted you to get the whole experience.

Moving on, thanks for everyone's comments and it's great to hear that so many enjoyed our demo, our crew got just as much a kick out of it as you. We managed to find some tricky and very unique problems that come with a world-first demo of this scale, which meant that most of us were lucky to get to bed before midnight for the three nights before the show. We were even re-plugging cables and adjusting the equipment 7 minutes before the first demo! We got there in the end, and while we ran a reliable and solid setup for the demos, we think that the large majority of attendees took a lot away from it, whether it be a little more learnt about what immersive audio is, or just the huge grins we could see on the faces of viewers.

We have learnt a lot and if doing similar next year we will perhaps host some more advanced sessions for forum members/tech-heads that go a little longer and are more technical, or a 'BYO movie' session to test out your favourite scenes. Just some ideas... if anyone has any, we would love to hear them.

From our whole team, it was an absolute pleasure to meet so many friendly and passionate people at the show - forum members and newcomers alike. I think the vast range of attendees speaks a lot for the organisation of the show and the audience it was able to reach. We thoroughly enjoyed it, so thank you to all who attended.

Cheers,
Michael

To answer your question @superaaaa, we should have some photos on our facebook/blog soon or as @Pete54mentioned, Selby have some up on their facebook page already. As for acoustic treatment, we had around 60 Sonitus panels (as used by many rooms around the show) and around 35 Martini Absorb 100mm panels as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info @Krix Loudspeakers Michael. I personally would love to see a member specific session for future demos of this nature - make it into a gtg.

I'd happily fly from Perth just to be involved in something like that.

Would also love to see the calibration and testing process - where do I sign up :)   

As always, a fantastic event that showcased sensational individual components as well as combinations that were jaw-dropping. Many of which were home grown, very pleasing to see.

Record Fair was also a winning addition - picked myself up some great new (old) jazz vinyl.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Krix Loudspeakers/Mike. Whilst my experience was disappointing I do appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing the system "off the leash" at some point in the future. I reckon playing the Simpsons THX trailer through that system would be epic.

Only have a couple of pics of the room but here they are anyway.

20181013_105341.thumb.jpg.7bffde9286ae2a42f24450e803ccb699.jpg

20181013_110209.thumb.jpg.9a5acc356420e94e2edd9abc287731ac.jpg

20181013_110219.thumb.jpg.6345e1d298b718208b0703c407bbab66.jpg

20181013_110227.thumb.jpg.4e87b8ab342565a6630f239ba59a2a3f.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Thanks 1

@Tubularbells what a pity you ended up in the kid friendly version. I wish I had known, would have messaged you as there was actually an empty spot next to me at the 3pm showing i was in and that was full tilt ! 

@Krix Loudspeakers I didnt get a chance to talk, but I so wanted to ask if you were going to pack this system up to take other places for others to experience. great to hear taking to sydney next year. was there any plans to take to CES in 2019 ?  this has got to be taken to the world ! ... it was THAT good !  great to hear you are using some other aussie products too in the system, like the Elektra amps customised for yourselves for power :)

I've found my self being critical of sound in a few rooms which I must apologise to exhibitors and @Marc for.

I think at these pretty high end events I'm holding demo's to unrealistic expectations and sure I'd be more than delighted with all but 1 or 2 of the systems demo'ed in my own home. I guess I'm really just pointing out what were the minor weaknesses in a couple of otherwise highly commendable systems that could be sorted over time to my own preferences if I happened to own them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, :) al said:

I didnt get a chance to talk, but I so wanted to ask if you were going to pack this system up to take other places for others to experience. great to hear taking to sydney next year. was there any plans to take to CES in 2019 ?  this has got to be taken to the world ! ... it was THAT good !  great to hear you are using some other aussie products too in the system, like the Elektra amps customised for yourselves for power

Hi Al, you never know! We really needed to go through the process once to see if it was something we could replicate in a different state or country. As you may have guessed, it was quite an undertaking, but achievable. As most of us have only just arrived home, we haven't gone too much into next years show, but it was part of discussions over coffee when we'd finished... I think we need to recover from this one first! CES wouldn't be in the equation - that's only 12 weeks away.

Glad to hear you loved it, with such a great response it will be hard not to back it up in some way next year.

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Had a great day, met a few people and got chatting and learnt a few things - which is always great!! 

Personally enjoyed the Yamaha room, the Vincent room, SGR, Krix/Selby plus a few others.  

Whilst it was great to sit in and listen in rooms that i'll never be able to afford I found most of my enjoyment in somewhat more attainable rooms.

My only gripe (a small one) as mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread is that I too got a little bored with every single room playing female vocal or jazz.  Sure this may poetenitally showcase the spacial abilities of a set up but not EVERYONE listens to this type of music and therefore it became a little repetitive IMO.  I know you cannot please everyone at these sort of events but geesh, lets get something rocking and moving with a little bit of obnoxious loud and antisocial music. 

I heard some Eagles and Floyd which was a very refreshing change to the norm but how bout something guitar oriented or dare I say some thing with over driven guitars and some double kick drumming  and in your face vocals?? :fear:

It might have cleared a room out but it would have also shown a different side of capability to any set up.

That said, very very happy I got along and a great effort on everyone involved part to get this running and showcased.  Job very well done and thank you.

They need to use "Get Ya Ya Ya's out" for a demo record. That would easily separate the men from the boys. It can sound very good or crap.

I'd like to offer some considered reflections about the show.

Loved Bill's room with his warm & friendly atmosphere and his innovative Dutch & Dutch speakers.

Yes, was a regular visitor to this room.

The Holton/Hulgich room sounded good with Anthony being helpful and friendly with his new & updated products. Really loved it!

Another room that I visited a lot!

The M8 Audio was another good one.

Really good sounding speakers with a great mid range and an attractive price.

Ian and the crew were outstandingly friendly & helpful.

Spent a lot of time there.

Like Bill's room these folk went out of their way to put on music that they knew that I liked.

Thanks guys!

The DEQX/legend room was another room offering great value, a friendly environment & just a nice place to be. Can't believe that those Legend speakers sounded so good - and what a bargain!

Enjoyed the Osborn room and a big thanks for making a special time for me to bring along my own music to play.

These were speakers that are always going to sound good, no matter the music type, good value to!

Thanks guys!

Mid range was great with the Martin Logans, and the guy running the room was always happy to play my music.

Purchased some great headphones from the VAF room, the presentation from Peter Ledermann was really good, a loverly welcoming room and always happy to play my CDs. Great.

Thanks guys.

Yes, there were some rooms where I felt they were not welcoming, or did not want to play people's CDs, at least one felt to me, to be a little on the arrogant side!

Four rooms promised on the Friday to bring along a CD player the next day - and guess how many delivered???

ZERO!

But, no names, I only want to say nice specific things or no specific (named) things!

Great show!

Marc told me that Saturday set an attendance record.

So many wives, girlfriends, young women, older women, younger guys, early middle aged guys, not mention kids.

So good! Seems HiFi is not just for old codgers!!

Great atmosphere.

Great environment.

Great show.

Big thanks to Marc.

Big thanks also to Clive for all the work he did regarding the dinner.

Would just like to end on the note that there was something for everyone.

The Selby home theatre rooms nicely rounded things out - and their staff were also so really friendly.

Just so good.

Bruce

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, BruceS said:

The Selby home theatre rooms nicely rounded things out - and their staff were also so really friendly.

Just so good.

Bruce

That's another aspect of the show I should have mentioned in my earlier assessment when I said the Krix set up was amazing but even if I could afford it, I'd never pay $500,000 for it.....ever! The clincher for me to make this statement was that we went straight to the Selby room with the 'under $5000' Atmos HT set up and watched the same 'Unbroken' clip that we had just witnessed in the Krix room. Conclusion? Why would you bother spending 100 times as much when the 'under $5000' (admittedly a 'show' offer, actual price $7600) system sounded so damn good and is way more suitable for the average home? Hugely impessive HT sound for the money.....and just one little sub.?

PS: I'm buying the blu-ray of 'Unbroken' to check the same scene on my HT set up. Should be interesting.....

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

Thanks to everyone in charge of putting on the exhibition. It's hard work, takes lots of coordination and always challenges around the environment and various imposing factors that come into it.
Well done.

Due to work changes I didn't get to use my 3 day pass and flew in just for 5hrs Sunday, but having said that I felt able to get across everything that took my interest from boutique 2 channel vinyl listening, headphones, modern and vintage styled speakers and amps through to headphones, acoustics and ofcourse the Krix cinema.

Based on that I wonder if there's opportunity for break out sessions that may run on the hour each day that enable us all with a little education and learning. I saw that because what he experience and hear activates the emotion of a want or potential purchase but often logic to back it up helps turn that into a comfortable transaction and hopefully positive dealings for seller and buyer.

For example, some people may feel their current setup is too harsh, toppy or perhaps lacking in something... What if there were some classes Selby did to educate us how to identify room problems and which products of absorbsion, diffusion or scattering would best fit and why?
Like a 101 of acoustics. As this plays a huge part of our sound, much like diet is to our bodies, it's not just fixed by exercise.

I think of ideas like what the Trinnov gentleman mentioned how he explained object based audio and why it's better - this is very practical and helps people buy in and perhaps a breakout room is better poised for questions....

Other ideas like, here's a real demo we will show you how to tune to reference level and explain it....
How to set up proper gain structure and not just boost or gut everything...
Bass management and how to use it properly, etc...

Even some consultancy areas where one can take those demo's off line to skilled people to discuss your needs at a high level... This all helps the commitment process for anyone who wants to further

We'll done though team, especially loved the Krix cinema and it's given me a couple thoughts [emoji6]

• Like 2

It was certainly an error on my part to not bring a CD source. My rationale was that my key demographic are mostly streaming so that would be most important to demonstrate, but no reason not to have all the basics covered! Lessons learned for next year. @BruceS hope my room was not one you left disappointed in, but happy to amend that any time if you'd like to pop over to Northcote!

-Rick (Lucie Audio)