Benje

The 2018 Hi-Fi Show (Melbourne)

Posted (edited)

I hope to get to one of these soon - perhaps 2018.

Just a word of warning for any of those planning on visiting the show on the Sunday and intending to drive from the south-east of Melbourne.  Plan your trip carefully.  The Melbourne Marathon is on all Sunday morning 14 October 2018 (which involves dedicated use of St Kilda Road and also roads across to Albert Park/ St Kilda just south of the Junction Oval).

I suspect that you can get to Queensway via the tunnel near the Junction Oval, but that could be a very popular route from the Princes/Nepean Highway area despite being a Sunday morning.

Perhaps some SNA'ers will visit the show on Friday or Saturday, and then do one of the runs on Sunday morning (10 km, 21.1 km and 42.2 km options  :) )

Benje

Edited by Benje

Admin

It seems you can't run any event in Melbourne any weekend of the year without clashing with some sort of sporting or political event!

This one took me by surprise.

I'm working with the organisers/Vicroads to get a clearer understanding of the road closures, but at worst, they will only affect St.Kilda Road Junction until 12PM on the Sunday. It appears Queens Road will remain open at all times. The Free Parking around the lake however will be affected Sunday morning.

As we get more accurate information I will update the HiFi Show website with more information.

I wonder if the trams will be affected?

If not, grab one of them

Just booked into the hotel.

Now isn't that eager?

Before the show tickets are even available!

Looking forward to the show already!!

Bruce

Admin
26 minutes ago, BruceS said:

Just booked into the hotel.

Now isn't that eager?

Before the show tickets are even available!

Looking forward to the show already!!

Bruce

Thanks for your support Bruce!

And yes, tickets are now open!

http://www.hifishow.com.au/tickets

AND ...

Just booked my ticket for the show (the three day 'special' one).

AND ...

Would you believe I am the first to get my ticket!!!

Wow!

I am finally first in something!!

I have possibly started an avalanche!

Now who can be number two??!!

Looking forward to the show even more now.

AND ...

I got a special call from Marc

Yep, I am flying high today.

Bruce

Are we actually going to have hifi shows in Melbourne on concurrent weekends?

This one at the Pullman Oct 12 to 14.

And another being advertised for Oct 19 to 21 at the Como, just down the road.

I had to check it is not the same one with different details.

What's going on?  Hifi Show wars?  

Guest Sime

I’m torn with this one. Hmmm. 

4 hours ago, generichs said:

Yes.

I'd say Marc's coming up against the established HIFi Show circuit and their placement as close as possible to his show would indicate that I think.

I missed last years show but will try to make it to Bleak City for this one. I think we're in Tahiti just before this so the Handbrake should be able to be persuaded to let me see our daughter and I promise to do that before Thu or after Sun... 

As Marc is the only one to run a hifi show in Melbourne 2017 I'd say the other mob have decided to schedule the clash.

Not that it affects me personally, I've decided to go to both!  Yet another reason to love Melbs...three days for Marcs, only one for the others, of course ;)

I think the other mob is doing predatory scheduling.  I'll be going to both, but would have preferred the other one to stay at it's usual date in winter.  

6 minutes ago, generichs said:

I think the other mob is doing predatory scheduling.  I'll be going to both, but would have preferred the other one to stay at it's usual date in winter.  

The other mob always had their shows in October so I don’t know where you got your information from. The stereo net show we exhibited at was in winter as I remember minus5’ at Canberra on the way down and how long it took for the transformers to warm up in the amps.

30 minutes ago, guru said:

The other mob always had their shows in October so I don’t know where you got your information from. The stereo net show we exhibited at was in winter as I remember minus5’ at Canberra on the way down and how long it took for the transformers to warm up in the amps.

Last year's Aust Hifi show was in July in Sydney.  SNA filled the vacant Oct spot last year. 

You are correct, in 2016 it was in Oct.  It was the coldest Oct weekend I can remember in Melbourne, and the Sunday was the coldest day of the year.  That's probably why I thought it was in winter.  I hadn't been that cold since they played footy at Waverley Park.  :oops:

Admin
On 3/20/2018 at 11:42 AM, guru said:

Also not quite correct.

StereoNET (Melbourne) July

Chester (Melbourne) October

StereoNET (Melbourne) July (as per 2016)

Chester THEN announced Sydney in July.

StereoNET Rescheduled to November (Melbourne) to avoid conflict.

StereoNET (Melbourne) October - based on Chester 2017 plans.

Chester Announces October (Melbourne) also.

You see, despite our best efforts to co-exist, and even to WORK TOGETHER, Chester UK and their Australian representative make it increasingly difficult and have zero interest in working with us (and believe me, many within the industry have tried to suggest it).

But, this is StereoNET, and the other show can do its own marketing.

I went to Sydney at my own expense, photographed and covered their event and published here on StereoNET in good faith.

They DID NOT cover our event. That says it all as far as I am concerned.

Let's move along and leave the Hi-Fi Show wars and politics off StereoNET. It does nothing for anyone.

Hope it is OK to make my comment.

I am making my statements about Marc's Show (speaking, no, better shouting):

* with my feet & my body; and

* with my money.

I have a three day pass already purchased and a two day Pullman hotel room already booked!!!!!

I may, just may, go to the other one for a day BUT there is no way in the world that I am staying in their hotel!!!

I think I am making it clear where my support lies!!

Would be good if maybe some more people followed my 'action' example and got things going quickly !!!

In case you need me to actually verbalise it Marc -

You have my (proven) support!!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Bruce

5 minutes ago, BruceS said:

Hope it is OK to make my comment.

I am making my statements about Marc's Show (speaking, no, better shouting):

* with my feet & my body; and

* with my money.

I have a three day pass already purchased and a two day Pullman hotel room already booked!!!!!

I may, just may, go to the other one for a day BUT there is no way in the world that I am staying in their hotel!!!

I think I am making it clear where my support lies!!

Would be good if maybe some more people followed my 'action' example and got things going quickly !!!

In case you need me to actually verbalise it Marc -

You have my (proven) support!!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Bruce

Hope you did not buy the ticket before the limited offer half price tickets.  Limited offer expires 30 March 2018.

You booked a hotel room for 2 days!  I assume you are in Essendon, Vic.  You must really hate travelling to the other side of town.  Deal breaker for me is if I have to drive.  I can go public transport to both shows.  :winky:

Admin

@BruceS, I sincerely appreciate your loyalty as a StereoNET member, and as an attendee and supporter of the show. :thumb:

Admin
10 minutes ago, generichs said:

Hope you did not buy the ticket before the limited offer half price tickets.  Limited offer expires 30 March 2018.

You neglect to mention that I also stated that if any member had already purchased a ticket, that I would reimburse them. :)

Yeah, I paid the full price.

Won't say no to any refunds that are going though!

Yeah, I live in Essendon but thought I would stay in the Pullman and soak all the vibes.

Like getting in early & hanging around to chat afterward, go to the dinner, and maybe do a deal or two regarding my HiFi upgrades (not to mention meeting the odd member or two).

Yeah, am really looking forward to the Show.

Don't need to do any count downs because the time count down is already there for all to see!!

Bruce

Posted (edited)

Just checked the other site.  They aren't giving a special offer, yet.  They should also give a special offer, this way us desperates can go to  both shows for the price of one.  :party

Edited by generichs

Will add just a little extra explanation.

The Show happens to be close to my birthday and my wife & daughter, knowing my interests, told me that they would like to give me the weekend at the Pullman as a birthday present.

Was I going to say no?

No way!!

Bruce

On 3/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, generichs said:

Gonna love reading the reviews and the statements re which show was better etc.Good fun.

I’m toying, just toying with the idea of going to both!

Well driving over from Adelaide for the first weekend...
As long as there’s something to fill the time in Melbourne for the week!
Do others think there is??
Just saying!!