Anyone tried the $1700, 75 inch 4K TV from Aldi?

Hate to disappoint and I'd possible be crucified on this thread for say this but I have a thing with Aldi.  There groceries, dairy products are OK, by them everyday but when it comes to electronics, tools batteries etc  I'd stay well away.  These are one off special or special buys, there's a reason for that!   

• Like 1

do buy a bit of food from there given their no artificial flavours colorings policy. in electronics, their weigh scales was ok...till went on the blink, though was cheap and we got a couple of years out of it. though am not sure id be keen to spend $1700 on anything from aldi :) 

1 hour ago, :) al said:

do buy a bit of food from there given their no artificial flavours colorings policy. in electronics, their weigh scales was ok...till went on the blink, though was cheap and we got a couple of years out of it. though am not sure id be keen to spend $1700 on anything from aldi :) 

Landfill! 

Like I said it's not cheap and one off specials for nothing.  It's usually manufacturers that have products left over that can't sell, will just last to get over the warranty line, cheap enough for you not to bother retuning and easier to end up in landfill.   That's why they can't supply enough on the floor for that Weds morning queue that lines up for hours and goes out the door around the shopping centre, only to show the worst in human nature.   Don't buy there rechargeable batteries or any of there batteries either,  I had to throw them all away because they failed and started to leak!  For rechargeable stick to enaloops!  The tools are just as bad, either used once because theyre rejected on the production floor and then you realised it's all a flop and can't rely on them!   Go to Bunnings and stick to the real known brands for tools!   75" for $1700...pass! 

• Like 1

... same as Kogan, Soniq, Palsonic, Akai etc., cheap re-brands available en masse on Alibaba with custom badging and software logo's.

Unfortunately much e-waste get's shipped back to China and other countries where poor people live and work in junkyards around nasty chemicals to make a living stripping copper etc. Ross Kemp did a very disturbing and in depth episode on this.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, frankn said:

China is cutting back on imports of waste

China waste

perhaps this means additional employment opportunities for Australian youth?  

Nope,

its all crushed here as we have to abide by ISO14000.  All the products that gets returned are send to Sims metals.   They are crushed  then they separate the metal, plastics, glass etc.   There's a market for used metals and plastics, but no markets for crush glass,  Victoria has a huge issue with crushed glass and now there is talks with the Andrews Government to just dump it as hard waste (landfill).  Plastic bottles for toner and waste toner is returned to make furniture right here  in Victoria. 

All the used and discarded parts that I replaced; either send the units back for rebuild at Eastern Creek or drop it of at a depot with the option to send it to Sims direct.  

42 minutes ago, JSmith said:

... same as Kogan, Soniq, Palsonic, Akai etc., cheap re-brands available en masse on Alibaba with custom badging and software logo's.

Unfortunately much e-waste get's shipped back to China and other countries where poor people live and work in junkyards around nasty chemicals to make a living stripping copper etc. Ross Kemp did a very disturbing and in depth episode on this.

It's sad,

theres no OHS in China as industries don't give a ****..   people get cancer and die of all sorts of preventable diseases early in life thats associated to there working environment.  I get reports everyday from a relative in Shanghai who is a journalist.  Miners are suffering all sorts of miners diseases that was happening to us in the early 1900.  There is little precaution.  I can't  imagine what they are exposing themselves to  recycling e-waste.   I remember when I 1st started work,  we were told to polish a photoconductor drum that was made of selenium that was doped in arsenic with brasso rags and bare hands!  These days we are not allowed WD40 or anything with compressed air and not allowed to take inflammibles and that includes isopropyl alcohol.

4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Nope,

its all crushed here as we have to abide by ISO14000.  All the products that gets returned are send to Sims metals.  

It seems that Australia does export some waste products to China and other countries. Not a lot overall but the comments on the ABC, CH9 news stories and the ABS support that is what is happening. In future The practice/business may / may not grow depending on decisions by China and other countries. 

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, during 2011-12, Australia exported 4.4 million tonnes of waste valued at more than $2 billion. That accounted for 0.8 per cent of total exports.

China, including Hong Kong, was Australia’s main trading partner for plastic waste receiving around 155,000 tonnes of plastic to be recycled.

2 hours ago, frankn said:

It seems that Australia does export some waste products to China and other countries. Not a lot overall but the comments on the ABC, CH9 news stories and the ABS support that is what is happening. In future The practice/business may / may not grow depending on decisions by China and other countries. 

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, during 2011-12, Australia exported 4.4 million tonnes of waste valued at more than $2 billion. That accounted for 0.8 per cent of total exports.

China, including Hong Kong, was Australia’s main trading partner for plastic waste receiving around 155,000 tonnes of plastic to be recycled.

That's 2011-1012. 

Lets see the statics for the present.  But as a holistic issue, to your expectation for more imployment is just willful thinking,  I wish I was wrong in Australia for the recycling industry.  You can thank that to way too high wages to support high taxes and rising cost of resources/utilities  such as water, gas and electricity.  Look at the satisitics, we have had a successful paper/cardboard recycling for many years, now we just box it up in containers and send it to China!   No one want to pay for anything, ever one is looking at the lowest bottom line. 

And what does any of this have to do with the OPs question?

Has anyone TRIED the TV in question? Or is all of this an excersise in expectation (negative) bias?

For what it's worth, I had a Palsonic for fifteen years without trouble. My mother had it on for 12+ hours every day. During this time I watched my friends name brand TVs come and go.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, t_mike said:

And what does any of this have to do with the OPs question?

Has anyone TRIED the TV in question? Or is all of this an excersise in expectation (negative) bias?

For what it's worth, I had a Palsonic for fifteen years without trouble. My mother had it on for 12+ hours every day. During this time I watched my friends name brand TVs come and go.

guilty as charge for neg bias from me.  

Great to see a Palsonic to last for 15yrs and going.

But the stuff from Aldi that's one off sales are just that and I have detailed that in previous posts.  Be my guest if you wanna get the 75" for $1700 and no will never try the Product in question.   

20 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Has anyone TRIED the TV in question?

There have been some positive, some negative reports on their previous models, mainly for use as a monitor due to the on-board functions being quite average. Unfortunately the previous models have been missing controls to be able to attempt to calibrate properly.

23 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Palsonic

There are always good and bad stories with most brands (some more than others), but Palsonic is a big "in the bin" for me... went through 3 of their HD CRT's over 4 years, never again.

Anyway, all I know is Aldi is the only place in Oz that I can get good horse;

tesco-findus-aldi.jpg

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm fairly sure aldi has a good returns policy. If you're not happy with it, take it back for a full refund.

I tried one of their TVs years ago. It had poor colour adjustment and contrast. Had it 10 minutes. Wasn't happy. Took it back. Full refund. All good. Lesson learnt

• Like 2

In truth I don’t want one. I prefer quality over quantity in general and if I needed a new tv would pay the $ required for an LG C7.

I was just surprised to see a 75 for under $2k and wondered if it was any good?  Guess we still don’t know at this point.  Must be someone lurking here that’s had a crack at one.  Let us know if you have.

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Owning a 75 inch tv, you need the best quality, not the worst. 

Nowhere to hide with a screen that big if it doesn't look good.

The physical hassle of returning a tv that big would be a royal pita.

Absolutely all great points but the last one Is reality hitting home.

i struggled to get 55" in a Falcon station wagon,  I got 2  55" this way and one had to be slided diagonal due to the size of the box.    My original 52" was a breeze and I was able to get that into Falcon wagon by myself.     I have to say with 75" I would have to pay for delivery, there's no way it's gonna slide safely in a back of a Mondeo Wagon!   There's no way to do this with plasma even on 52" as they must be delivered in the standing upright position.  

Also if you are getting 75" and over, make sure you read the instructions on the box before unboxing and pulling the unit out.  Incorrect handling can cause severe damage.

• Like 1

I've have had a Hisense 50" and 47" for years and had no problems. The 47" gets lots and lots and lots of use and has been a great performer. 

My mother has a Kogan and went it failed we had a lot of trouble getting it serviced. I'd stay away. Lots of complaints about Kogan service. 

The Aldi TV is temping but I'm quite happy with the two screens I have so no purchase anytime soon.

I can't see the original question ever being answered but worth asking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 10:29 PM, Addicted to music said:

Hate to disappoint and I'd possible be crucified on this thread for say this but I have a thing with Aldi.  There groceries, dairy products are OK, by them everyday but when it comes to electronics, tools batteries etc  I'd stay well away.  These are one off special or special buys, there's a reason for that!   

Alway buy food, never bought a TV or 3D printer from them, but their version of the Dremel is absolutely amazing for the price.   The first one lasted over 3 years.  The motor was OK, but the chuck had packed it in.  The new one is about 2 years on now and still going strong.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Looks like this 75inch special isn't moving as fast as usual.

Visited a local store yesterday and still had one in stock

Seems like people prefer quality over quantity which is a good thing.