Bunno's system

Having a bit of a moment and missing my system that has been in storage since I moved overseas in August '16. It is currently all in a shipping container roughly 20 metres from where I am typing this right now....

I have even bought a few things since '16 that I haven't used yet including a Microrendu, Nordost Sort Kones, Isoacoustics Gaia 2, assorted cables and a UMIK-1 that is in the process from the classifieds page here. Very much looking forward to using that with REW/Acourate and implementing filters into Roon.

When I do finally get myself sorted now that I am back in Aus and have my own space I intend to get a second SVS sub and am looking at a new DAC that will either be multichannel and I will dabble into an active system (leaving passive crossover network in place) or a higher end DAC/Streamer. On the list for this is the Cary Audio DMS500, PS Audio DSD with Bridge 2, Linn Akurate DSM, T&A DAC 8, Exasound E38 but there is no rush for this really. I think there is still too much movement to come like more DSD512 support which I would like to try upsampling to this and MQA etc.

I was pretty impressed with the Cary at the show in Melbourne and if they had a black one on display I would have taken it home with the deal they were willing to do. Speaking of the show there were quite a few things that I was impressed with including from the same room the IsoAcoustics Gaia which I did buy at the show. 

The furniture here I had custom made in Sydney from Tassie Oak so it actually fits Hifi gear. For reference that is a 60 inch tv in all the photos below. I know it's not ideal to have such big furniture but without a large dedicated room it has to be livable.

Anyways here is a few pics of my setup from '16 in Sydney

IMG_20151103_194703.thumb.jpg.5ef7fd249f2c3815f8881f0ebf58cd74.jpg

IMG_20151027_103803.thumb.jpg.bc8b24fac14ba4c495d1c1f824f83c6e.jpg

IMG_20151103_160823.thumb.jpg.5c1fb3ec31a827e51eec5c4322b743a5.jpg

IMG_20160713_123317.thumb.jpg.9c156ebf843ca49346b1a258bad82b6c.jpg

Luckily at the moment living at the family home is the system I have built for my Mum which includes her JVC L-A21 TT from the 70s which I added a 2m Red to. It is a very capable system for music and she is very happy with it for all purposes. It is a Cambridge Audio 551R and Epos Epic 5. Also has an Ifi SPDIF Ipurifier which helps a lot with music from an Apple TV

26540062_193122457936476_529041448_o.thumb.jpg.3015ddf853651ed4fc0d79814a6684f3.jpg

I have a few more pics that show a little of my learning curve with this system that was greatly helped by a fantastic store in Sydney that loaned me equipment to play with. I can share later if anyone is interested. I'll try to keep this thread going and show the progress, in time I plan to make my own acoustic treatment which should be pretty fun.

• Like 4

Thanks mate.

Yep I can't wait to have it running again.

Last time I had it set up I was using my laptop into my DAC and mostly did streaming from Google Play or Tidal but I do have a large music collection on HDD too.

I did a trial with Hqplayer a long time ago and I think another trial of something to do some DSD up sampling which was OK. Also had a few tracks in DSD. Though not all DSD is amazing I think I good recording in DSD is better than a good recording in 44.1.

When it's back up and running I plan to use the UMIK with REW/Acourate to make filters etc and will load them into Roon with its DSD upsampling. Hqplayer was on the list but I think the gap with Roon is closing so maybe not entirely necessary.

I'll be using the Microrendu as the renderer which will help things a lot.

Yeah, I have Roon and hqplayer. The gap is narrowing, but Roon is so much simpler to use. 

I also have Acourate and REW, more recently have been outsourcing filter generation.

Dsd versus other formats is really dependent on the dac and what sample rate it best performs at. If your going to upsample and use Roon filters you want a dsd dac that does as little processing as possible.

That's good to know. I'll no doubt be looking for help and pointers with REW etc. There's only so much reading you can do but putting it into practise is another thing.

Can I ask who/what you're using now? I did see on Computeraudiophile.com that there is a guy doing some stuff and can even make filters that seem to be able to change soundstage etc. I forget who it is but would be able to find it.

Yeah I was hoping to use Hqplayer in Roon. Not sure how to do it but I believe you can somehow. Maybe with further updates to Roon the gap will close further and can save the outlay?

Not sure on which rate my DAC likes best but it goes up to DSD256. The 3 DSD rates it can do all sound very good.

Yeah, thats the service I have been trying - home audio fidelity. Better than any filters I could generate in rew or acourate, and also has cross talk reduction.

I use Roon feeding HQPlayer. All the benefits of the roon interface and tidal integration with hqp doing the heavy lifting. It can be a pain to set up though and requires some serious processing grunt.

What dac are you using?

• 2 months later...

@AudioGeek Sorry mate that I never replied. I read it and forgot sorry. Yep that makes sense and I will look into that route too. 

I have a decent i7-4710MQ pc so I am hoping it will do the trick. My DAC is a LH labs Geek Pulse as in my signature. It is capable of DSD256.

Anyways as a bit of an update I am finally moving into somewhere with a friend where I will be able to set up my system. The room is a living space with a lot of nooks and hard surfaces but after almost of 2 years in storage I really don't care. It will be temporary living here and hopefully the next will be a bit better. 

Hopefully my stuff will be in Wednesday of next week and I will keep this updated and maybe show some progress shots too. I have so many goodies that I haven't even tried yet. Getting excited.

albany.thumb.jpg.ce9be4911eb3448273741bdc2e70bf40.jpg

Guest yamaha_man

I have not listened to mine for nearly 2 years, the pain is real.

Edited by yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man
11 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Almost unbearable. This little thing really has been a saviour. e78b0a91f1801abc633182e3d8f9bf21.jpg

Bose!!!!  :ohmy:

I’m happy to abstain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Trying out my Marantz amp today. Very glad I brought it back with me from Thailand. It is a little weak in the bass compared to my McIntosh but it has preouts so connected up the sub and it sounds great.

I have been playing around a little bit in Roon with upsampling to DSD256 and using their filters. With a short amount of time spent on it I am prefering just the native files rate/no upsampling or filters. I will keep playing with this but at the moment just happy to be using it again.

29994830_221001645148557_1991776545_o.jpg

You're welcome anytime Daz.
I'll be in Brisbane for a long time now so anytime you're up flick me a message. Likewise with yours but I'm usually in a rush when passing through the home of the bendy bridge.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I think the next thing really will be room correction unless another good DAC comes along. 
Speakers won't be happening for a long time but these are in the top 5....

I will own these one day but unless I buy new I may not get this exact colour which is exactly what I want. They even go well with the Macs haha

SAM_2477.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So things have changed a little...

I am in a new place and at first the sound was crap. Played around with REW a little but I haven't made time to use it properly. Placement and the addition of some sound absorption at the side reflection points has helped a lot. The Placement isn't where I wanted them but it is working well enough for now. Not perfect though.

I have also changed my setup a bit as I wasn't listening to music enough. Mainly due to my DAC needing to be switched on with 2 annoying rear switches and I was swapping cables over on the back of my speakers to change between my AVR and McIntosh. The AVR was doing ok for music but now everything is better.

I have added some little Panasonic Satelittes from an all in one system as my L+R from my AVR and they are sitting on the edge of my TV unit. For TV and movies I don't miss my mains at all.

I have also hooked my Sonos Connect both to my DAC via SPDIF and to the Mcintosh directly (using Sonos as a DAC). Luckily I have a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote so everything is easy to select and even has pictures of my own for what I want to do. I am finding that Tidal through Roon just doesn't have all the music I like so the Sonos is helping by having Google Play Music. It is nice having the Sonos direct to the Mac so that I can get everything happening remotely.

Reasonably happy now though a second sub is on my list and I have started another thread for a new DAC/streamer that I hope will bring it all into this century and be controlled remotely. My old Mac really is good for that. 

40288003_238475356815484_32773168858923008_n.jpg

• Love 1