Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
andyr

A different DAC now gives me sound from my digital flat-creen TV?

Recommended Posts

Hoping to get advice from the AV experts around these parts.  :)

 

Perhaps you can explain to me why this works:

  • 6 months ago, we bought a Samsung digital flat-screen TV - to replace the old analogue flat-screen TV.
  • I have been using an optical cable out from the TV ... into a noname DAC purchased from Jaycar and then an analogue interconnect into my preamp.
  • So we were able to listen to TV through the speakers (& sub).
  • However, this didn't work for HD programs!  :(  We had to use the TV's sound.
  • I've just replaced the noname DAC with a FiiO D07 - and, lo and behold ... HD program sound now comes through the hifi!  Yay!!  :thumb:
  • Is it as simple as ... the FiiO D07 (which runs at 96kHz) is compatible with HD, whereas the other one was running at 48kHz - so wasn't?

 

Thanks,

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is either the sample rate or file format. I know my LH DAC wouldn't work from the TV on HD channels if it said Dolby Audio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I believe it is either the sample rate or file format. I know my LH DAC wouldn't work from the TV on HD channels if it said Dolby Audio.

 

Aah, OK - thanks, Bunno.

 

Let's see if suddenly I get no sound on HD ... and I'l look to see if it's Dolby!  Netflix is the next test!  :)

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SD channels using MPEG2 will send MPEG 1 layer 2 audio.

 

The SD channels using MPEG4 will send HE-AAC audio.

 

The HD channels using MPEG4 will send AC3 Dolby Digital (previously MPEG2 with AC3).

 

Any receiving device must be able to decode the AC3.

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, JSmith said:

The SD channels using MPEG2 will send MPEG 1 layer 2 audio.

 

The SD channels using MPEG4 will send HE-AAC audio.

 

The HD channels using MPEG4 will send AC3 Dolby Digital (previously MPEG2 with AC3).

 

Any receiving device must be able to decode the AC3.

 

JSmith :ninja:

So this is what the Fiio D07 supports.

 

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

  • Supports Dolby Digital/DTS/AC-3/MPEG-2
  • S/PDIF Sample Rates up to 96kHz
  • Coaxial and Optical Inputs
  • Dual RCA Phono and 3.5mm Stereo Mini Out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP didn't specify which no name dac he bought from Jaycar.  Jaycar do sell DACs supporting all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@andyr I had the same issue. I went into the TV audio settings and changed digital output from Dolby digital to PCM- works on my DAC now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should still be able to adjust the audio output settings on the TV to output as PCM though, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, misternavi said:

@andyr I had the same issue. I went into the TV audio settings and changed digital output from Dolby digital to PCM- works on my DAC now.

 

40 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

You should still be able to adjust the audio output settings on the TV to output as PCM though, surely?

Yes you can, and I have the basic cheap LED 55" Samsung....:D:hyper:

 

 

IMG_1656.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much, guys!  :thumb:

 

So it looks like the FiiO D07 accepts Dolby - which I'm pretty sure I remember the first one didn't.

 

Hence I now get sound on HD channels.

 

@Addicted to music ... why would I have a reason to change the audio output on the TV away from Dolby to PCM?

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, andyr said:

Thanks very much, guys!  :thumb:

 

So it looks like the FiiO D07 accepts Dolby - which I'm pretty sure I remember the first one didn't.

 

Hence I now get sound on HD channels.

 

@Addicted to music ... why would I have a reason to change the audio output on the TV away from Dolby to PCM?

 

Andy

So you're no name dac from Jaycar may work!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks very much, guys!  :thumb:

 

So it looks like the FiiO D07 accepts Dolby - which I'm pretty sure I remember the first one didn't.

 

Hence I now get sound on HD channels.

 

@Addicted to music ... why would I have a reason to change the audio output on the TV away from Dolby to PCM?

 

Andy

Stereo DACs typically can’t decode a Dolby Digital bitstream, so often you need to allow for the TV to do the decoding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

So you're no name dac from Jaycar may work!  :)

 

Yeah, sure, Peter - but since I've got the FiiO ... I may as well keep on using it!  :)

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...