Sign in to follow this  
Steam

KEF LS50 price drop?

Have you always been able to get the KEF LS 50 for under $2k new? Seems a few on special at the moment.   Is there an updated version on the way?  Or ?

At $2500 I wasn’t interested but at $1500 I am quite tempted.

https://melbournehifi.com.au/products/kef-ls50

https://www.lifestylestore.com.au/kef-ls50-mini-monitor-speakers.html

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speakers

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/kef-ls50-premium-concentric-bookshelf-speakers-pair.html

$1500 was the entry price at least 4 or 5 years ago and they've been offered at various margins ever since. From $1200 to $1450.

I think they've gone for anything from $1100  upwards here although the memory says they might of gone for a bit cheaper than that but can't confirm.

I'd not pay $1500 for them.But that is just my thoughts.

Took me awhile to find it Seb but look here at an early GTG with pics  where @adamg,   @DAMO 1147 @Telecine @Rob181 @Willco @Cafad and quite a few other members were at. The LS50's were from Geoff @Toma Audio and Adam ended up owning/ed them so that's 6 years ago and they were around the price you mention then.

So I'd expect the things to be a bit cheaper now surely.

Edit: Might help if I actually put the link in...

GTG LS50's ect

Edited by Luc

I believe the rrp was originally $2000, but has crept up over the years maybe due to dropping Aussie dollar. I think Luc must be referring to second hand prices.

They wouldn’t sell many at the higher prices with the active/Wireless LS50 available. 

An actual price is hard to remember as the usual "street" price was anywhere from a couple to several hundred less than the RRP.  At one point I investigated buying a pair, the RRP was about $1800 at that point but they could be found for about $1400.  I didn't end up getting a pair then.

When I bought my special edition pair (black with the blue drivers) the RRP was $2300, not sure what it was on the standard colour version at the time.

Quite a lot of "Australia Tax" on KEFs. They sell for £800 in England. That's about AU$1400....

They come up here second hand every five minutes. ;) 

$1500 new is the cheapest I've seen.  

I'm always hopeful they would go out of fashion.....................so they'd get cheaper.

Got rid of my frosted black pair for about $1100-1200 I dimly recall.

4 to 5 years ago....   does seem like time could be to flog off the old stock before a new version.  Just speculation.  Although some other KEF specials around as well.  Just wondering 

And yes KEF in Oz has had criticism for high local pricing relative to the rest of the world.

How handsome is that thick fellow in the Brown shirt at that old GTG!!

post-117697-0-26372100-1375582096_thumb.jpg

You mean this bloke? @DAMO 1147

That's him - nice fellow!  Has not been around the Stereonet parts much lately but still cooking with Zu's.

I have been impressed with Adam's new speakers - they could force a change to Zu cubes in a 2nd system and new mains.

how do you add those @members to these posts?

That's him - nice fellow!  Has not been around the Stereonet parts much lately but still cooking with Zu's.

I have been impressed with Adam's new speakers - they could force a change to Zu cubes in a 2nd system and new mains.

how do you add those @members to these posts?
Just type the @ symbol followed by the member. You will see a bit pop up with members choices after a few characters.

Picked mine up a few days ago from Addicted to Audio for $1600.00 inc. shipping from Melb to Adelaide. Not a bad deal. Amazing speakers.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, thestefster said:

Picked mine up a few days ago from Addicted to Audio for $1600.00 inc. shipping from Melb to Adelaide. Not a bad deal. Amazing speakers.

Good price!!

they have gone up again $1,859.00. I must say is there a reason why these speakers fluctuate all time or is it because I'm looking at them all the time!!