Sign in to follow this  
BuffySlayer

Sony X9400E hdcp question

Hi peeps, 

Looking for some advice. 

Am about to take possession of 75" Sony X9400E, and am worried about hdcp issues. 

Current setup is as follows:

Foxtel iq3, Beyonwiz T4, Apple TV & Yamaha bluray - - - > all into Yamaha RX A3000 via hdmi - - - > into Pioneer  Kuro via hdmi. Gives simplicity of only one cable running to the TV. 

I always run sound through amp and speakers, never through TV, and will continue to do so. 

So my question is, will I still be able to run all devices into new tv via hdmi pass through in amp, or will hdcp stuff it up?

I'm currently only intending to use inbuilt Netflix for 4k content, all external content will be 1080p max

Is it only 4k content that is effected by hdcp? Should I run a second hdmi for possible future 4k player? Optical cable as well? 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, BuffySlayer said:

So my question is, will I still be able to run all devices into new tv via hdmi pass through in amp, or will hdcp stuff it up?

I'm currently only intending to use inbuilt Netflix for 4k content, all external content will be 1080p max

Is it only 4k content that is effected by hdcp? Should I run a second hdmi for possible future 4k player? Optical cable as well? 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

Unfortunately the A3000 is only hdmi1.4 Buffyslayer with an earlier iteration of hdcp so you need hdcp2.2 for Netflix UHD  stuff. If its just the one uhd source a hd fury avr key will suffice :thumb:https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

A player with dual hdmi outs like most these days will also bypass your avr in the same way if you want to keep your avr for awhile :)

Thanks Colin, 

I think I should be able to get 4k Netflix as I will have ethernet direct to TV, which has Netflix already on board. 

I'm hoping that 1080p content will go through ok (this is my main worry) 

P. S. Have hd fury in ht room setup. I guess if in future I want to add 4k player I can use integral, and maybe upgrade to vertex (or a new projector ?) in the home theatre. 

1 hour ago, BuffySlayer said:

Thanks Colin, 

I think I should be able to get 4k Netflix as I will have ethernet direct to TV, which has Netflix already on board. 

I'm hoping that 1080p content will go through ok (this is my main worry) 

If netflix is complying with hdmi.org requirements you would think 1080p should be ok.  hdmi 1.4 uses hdcp 1.4 and that more than covers 1080p bandwidth . One things for sure that hd fury is good insurance :) Theres a few hdcp strippers that cant handle 600mghz bandwidth only 300 so a hd fury is worth the extra I reckon :ahappy:

Nice to have the option to upgrade the jvc 7000 with such a small outlay with a vertex ; wait ... did I say extra cost ? :blush:

I guess what I am trying to ensure is that I'll get picture and sound from my external components. 

My options appear to be:

1. plugging them all in direct to the TV, then using optical out to amp to bypass hdcp requirements

2. Moving hd fury integral into chain to allow all components to remain plugged into amp, with one hdmi into TV. 

Number 1 would be significantly cheaper, only having to purchase a 2mtr optical cable, just wanting to confirm will get picture when connecting components directly to the TV. 

Anyone with a late model Sony able to comment? 

Well I have solved my problem. 

Bought a new AVR ?

Might move the old yammy into the cinema room to power the fronts ?

So I have another question. 

Anyone with same/similar TV notice vertical lines when camera/shot is panning? I'm not sure whether it is a fault or just a limitation of the tv. 

One thing I did notice when the unit was being installed (free as part of purchase), was that the guys were twisting the unit as they struggled with the weight of the unit. I offered to help, but they refused. 

Could twisting have caused  these vertical lines? 

I will try to get a pic. 

It’s a bit like vsync tearing on computer games?

Turn on Motionflow to minimize that.

A part of it has to do with 24p.

Motionflow has a few settings. Try the one that is least intrusive to you.

Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back. 

So, I tried every different motion flow setting, to no avail. 

I guess the best way I can describe it is that it looks like the screen is dirty (it's not) with vertical lines/shadows that are about 2 inches thick. They don't move so are not noticeable on a fixed shot, but as stated above they are obvious when camera's panning. 

I have tried different inputs, no change. 

I honestly don't know if I am being paranoid/overly fussy, or if it is faulty. 

One option is to organise calibration (it won't take me long to get the hours up), as I've got a projector to be done too, & let the professional have a look. 

Ok, the more I view the tv, the more I think there's a fault. I've done a screen grab, and can I say the picture is not great, but it shows the bars that run vertically. I'm pretty sure they are there all the time, but they just stand out during motion. 

What do y'all think? 

Screenshot 2018-01-07 20.30.41.jpg

I have the Sony KD75X9400C that I have owned for 2 years.

I have never seen any vertical lines like that. The tv picture has been perfect, so Sony can and make perfect fald  screens-

the installers might have screwed something up with poor handling? 

Call Sony to trouble shoot, then get the retailer to replace it.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I have the Sony KD75X9400C that I have owned for 2 years.

I have never seen any vertical lines like that. The tv picture has been perfect, so Sony can and make perfect fald  screens-

the installers might have screwed something up with poor handling? 

Call Sony to trouble shoot, then get the retailer to replace it.

Cheers

Thanks for that, will call Sony tomorrow. 

After the installers left, I noted that the instructions advised not to lay the tv flat, and they did lay it flat to attach mounting brackets. The tv flexed and twisted when they picked it up. I was squirming, but didn't say anything. 

Will see what happens tomorrow, thanks again. 

Sent this photo (lines to right of doorway) to retailer, followed up today, and they advise Sony is going to replace the TV. What a PITA, having to move heavy av cabinet again, to get this off the wall. ?

20180107_222637.jpg

New TV installed, no lines............. so far?

That is good news. I have been watching this thread as thinking of getting the same model.