puunda

Help with ATMOS setup

Hi everyone,

Back in Sep 20017 I had posted asking for a crash course in HT setup, as I had not kept up with things since the mid 2000

Thanks to everyones help, I was able to take away 4 things from this.

1. @:) al has a really nice setup
  2. ATMOS / DTS:X is well worth getting
  3. In ceiling speakers are better than the speakers which point to the ceiling.
  4. The automatic room calibration / setup is very good compared to the 2000s

I have since started my setup as follows:

• AVR - Integra DRX5
  • Main Speakers - Definitive Technology Mythos STS super towers (with built in active subs)
  • Center and Surround Speakers - Definitive Technology Mythos 8
  • Sub - not using it at the moment as mains have built in subs .. but have 2 x Jamo SUB 650 if needed

I'm quite happy with the setup for both movies and music. I've yet to experience Atmos though, as the madam won't let me cut into the ceiling to put in speakers.

So what are my options?

Use those speakers which sits on top of my speakers then point to the ceiling and hope they bounce off properly? Or get some small bookshelf speakers and screw them into the ceiling?

The madam is ok with me screwing speakers to the wall and ceiling, just not cutting big holes in them for speakers.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

hi punda, good to see some progress and enjoying thing. atmos really is worth doing. has madam seen pictures of how clean in ceiling speakers can look ? many people even go with in ceilings because of the "speakers are hidden" aspect hanging speakers from the ceiling is likely to look quite ugly by alternative like the proverbial....

i dont know id def tech make them but often there are little satellite speakers you can get, ie ones with mounts that can use to screw to the ceiling. 

though to be honest I would show madam as many pictures of in ceiling speakers as can. because if can get away with, its would be a more desirable cleaner look overall. but yes an option if not wanting to make holes in the ceiling. though will still need to run cables within an such so dont save a lot of work in my opinion. its the cable run that is the most difficult part. rather than making the hole. 

I have upfiring atmos speakers. While they do add to the experience and do work, there is no substitute for in ceiling speakers.

@:) al

The problem is not so much the look of the speakers. The problem is

1. The madam doesn't think I can cut out a hole in the wall/ceiling without removing half the house
  2. She think I change speakers every month, so after I put in the ceiling speakers, I'll want to change it, and hence no cutting into anything. Whereas screw holes can be patched much more easily.

As with cables, at the moment they are running along the floor and walls through some white trunking / capping, and the madam is ok with that. The same will have to be done for the atmos speakers

26 minutes ago, puunda said:

@:) al

The problem is not so much the look of the speakers. The problem is

1. The madam doesn't think I can cut out a hole in the wall/ceiling without removing half the house
  2. She think I change speakers every month, so after I put in the ceiling speakers, I'll want to change it, and hence no cutting into anything. Whereas screw holes can be patched much more easily.

As with cables, at the moment they are running along the floor and walls through some white trunking / capping, and the madam is ok with that. The same will have to be done for the atmos speakers

id suggest theres more to point, i think you have some convincing to to :D something between yourself and madam that I doubt we can help with ! :P

ps re patching... there is no need. you can always replace speakers in the same holes if you do feel the need...and got a bad case of insta replace and upgrade. some convincing i think that once holes go in you wont be trying to refill them with something different every month :D 

Punda ; another "compromise" option depending on the object audio nature of the new codecs is an auro3d placement . This has the plus of wall mounting rather than ceiling . If dolby atmos is the aim though as has been said ceiling speakers is No1 ; and grills come in many colours.. 

Image result for auro 3d speaker layout DTS-X is more flexible than dolby atmos and doesn't mind an auro placement ; this below is from Adelaide speakers ; and see if she likes any of these veneers  :angel:http://adelaidespeakers.com/fusion-flat-panel-speakers.html

DTS:X use

If you are setting up a DTS:X system with speakers above you have the choice of either ceiling mounted speakers or high wall mounted speakers (such as from the Firesprite or Fusion flat panel ranges. Placement and number of speakers with DTS:X is much more flexible but a good place to place high wall speakers is above the front speakers and in-line with where ceiling speakers are placed in the Atmos systems.

Do what I did, get everything ready secretly and install ceiling speakers when Madam goes to shopping (  before she leaves mentioning that it is OK to buy that expensive shoe/bag/dress/whatever helps) There might be an argument when she is back,amplitude of the argument depends on if she bought the thing or not. But in any case she would settle down. Also having her to watch her favorite movies in Dolby Atmos helps. Even if the movie is not Dolby Atmos, runing it in Dolby Atmos or DTX Neural X makes huge difference and she would realize how good it is to have speakers on the ceiling. Obviously if you get here to watch a very good recorded Native Dolby Atmos movie that she might like, it is a big winner.