One hit wonders that you rarely hear again!

Kate Miller Heidke's set design/props on Eurovision reminded me of this video

Veruca Salt - Shutterbug (however don't think this was ever a hit unjustly, timing perhaps as it was released just weeks before the death of priness Di and had some unfortunate references + the title. I remember being dumbfounded by the video back in 97, which today I see as more than a tad over produced and pretentious/self conscious work, however still groundbreaking and arresting)

They did have a hit with Seether (undergroundish, punkish hit, but hit nonetheless). Part of the zeitgeist vith Elastica, Breeders, etc.. in early/mid 90s.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, zippi said:

Kate Miller Heidke's set design/props on Eurovision reminded me of this video

Veruca Salt - Shutterbug (however don't think this was ever a hit unjustly, timing perhaps as it was released just weeks before the death of priness Di and had some unfortunate references + the title. I remember being dumbfounded by the video back in 97, which today I see as more than a tad over produced and pretentious/self conscious work, however still groundbreaking and arresting)

They did have a hit with Seether (undergroundish, punkish hit, but hit nonetheless). Part of the zeitgeist vith Elastica, Breeders, etc.. in early/mid 90s.

Ha ha! Funny that! I was thinking about them today after reading Terry Pratchet's Hogfather and a mention of the Verruca Gnome! And then you went and listed all the one hit wonders of the mid 90's in one go. Well, you did miss the one about the girl screaming to her mom that "everything's fiiiiiiiineeeeeeeee" and how much she misses and loves her.

Can't recall the name of the band or track. Better so I guess....

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, betocool said:

Ha ha! Funny that! I was thinking about them today after reading Terry Pratchet's Hogfather and a mention of the Verruca Gnome! And then you went and listed all the one hit wonders of the mid 90's in one go. Well, you did miss the one about the girl screaming to her mom that "everything's fiiiiiiiineeeeeeeee" and how much she misses and loves her.

Can't recall the name of the band or track. Better so I guess....

Cheers,

Alberto

Yes, how could I have missed it: Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother.

Definitely another one of the same 90's ilk.

• Like 1

That's the one! Listening to that song you really felt sorry for her (and for yourself!). That was a massive whinge! Sorry, I could not make it through all of them! I guess Cannonball would have to be my choice of them all.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zippi said:

Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

ohhh..contentious.

You've picked one of my favourite bands of recent years there.

The song above comes from the 'Carnavas' album, which is quite brilliant.

They followed up with the album 'Swoon', which is equally fantastic and had two great hits on Alt radio in the States, 'Panic Switch' and 'Substitution'. No, those didn't make Triple JJJ's Hottest 100 that year, but honestly, that's no real measure.

Then they did 'Neck of the Woods', which showed even more progression, and again garnered Alt fans in the States (and me) with two singles 'Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)', and 'The Pit'.

The fourth album was a black hole I can't listen to: 'Better Nature'.

They've regrouped, and have a new album due next month which I hope returns them to the top of the heap.   :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zippi said:

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

I got scolded by a guy in a pub in Heidelberg (1994) because he thought I'd put 2 D-Mark into the video jukebox to play that song. I made it clear that it hadn't been me! I barely had 2 DM to pay for the beer!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, candyflip said:

ohhh..contentious.

You've picked one of my favourite bands of recent years there.

The song above comes from the 'Carnavas' album, which is quite brilliant.

They followed up with the album 'Swoon', which is equally fantastic and had two great hits on Alt radio in the States, 'Panic Switch' and 'Substitution'. No, those didn't make Triple JJJ's Hottest 100 that year, but honestly, that's no real measure.

Then they did 'Neck of the Woods', which showed even more progression, and again garnered Alt fans in the States (and me) with two singles 'Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)', and 'The Pit'.

The fourth album was a black hole I can't listen to: 'Better Nature'.

They've regrouped, and have a new album due next month which I hope returns them to the top of the heap.   :) 

It is definitely contentious. I do have Swoon on vinyl and am aware of the Silversun Pickups output since, however there's many ways of interpreting a "one hit wonder" qualifier. I do think they've made some better music after the debut album, however the Lazy Eye would be their only song with reverberation in popular culture IMHO YMMV. Hence I've included it here, but as anything it's open to interpretation. 

• Like 2