One hit wonders that you rarely hear again!

Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady

This received a lot of radio airplay when it came out in 1970, but mostly it was the single version, which was butchered down to around 2.5 minutes. Just occasionally they would play the full length album version, ~7 minutes long. For a long time I only had a copy of the cut down version, on an old jukebox 45rpm single, until I eventually tracked down a CD with the full album on it.

To be honest, the rest of the CD is a bit so-so, but Green Eyed Lady is something of a gem. I loved it then, and still do, but cutting it down to 2.5 from 7 minutes was a crime.

I'm not aware if Sugarloaf released any other singles in Australia, can't recall any.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2

Fields - Three Minstrels

If memory serves me right (and it doesn't always) this was released as a single in Australia in 1972. I'm not sure if this was a hit or not, but I like it. I love the heavy organ sound with the swirling leslie speakers (not something you hear so much these days). Fields were a trio that formed out of Rare Bird, but they only released one album, and this single, before they called it quits. They were treated very poorly by their record company after a change of management, and became disillusioned with the record industry.

Its a great album too, re-released on CD by Esoteric a few years ago. I have a couple of Rare Bird albums, which have a similar organ sound, but it all came together on the Fields album. Its a real pity they didn't continue.

• Like 1

What ........... there are people out there who don't listen to The Ferrets - Dreams of a Love album on a regular basis ........ shame on you .............. :ohmy::ohmy: .......... or watch The Promise's video hoping that this time the long awaited major wardrobe malfunction would finally occur .................. :):)     

I have been waiting for it since 1978 ............ :):) ........          

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ancientflatulence said:

or watch The Promise's video hoping that this time the long awaited major wardrobe malfunction would finally occur

But it already has AF...

The tie is still there but the shirt has gone...

Just got the the people wearing shirt wrong...

Edited by Rob181
  • Like 1

Speaking of great Aussie bands, there was Sid Rumpo. I believe they released two singles from their First Offense album, although I don't know if either of them were hits.

I saw them as the support act for B.B. King in 1973 at the Apollo Stadium (now long demolished), and they rocked! I went with a schoolmate, and we smuggled in a portable Sony cassette recorder. I recorded the whole performance from start to finish, both Sid Rumpo and B.B. King with the cassette recorder hidden under a heavy corduroy coat (security in those days was, well.... what security?). Unfortunately the batteries in the cassette player ran down fairly quickly, and the tape speed was all over the place. I was kicking myself, and still am after all these years, because we were sitting at the very back of the stadium with a power outlet right behind us, and I hadn't bothered to bring along the AC adapter cable for the recorder, grrrr! The only part of the tape that was salvageable was the introduction and the first two songs by Sid Rumpo, which I have recently digitised for posterity. The rest of the tape had long since been recorded over. Recording quality is fairly ordinary of course, but its good enough to get a feel of what they were like live.

This is from their album (not my bootleg).

• Like 1
  • Love 1