One hit wonders that you rarely hear again!

G'day all, this made me smile this morning.  One of our local AM sports radio stations has a habit of playing a few seconds of pop songs as links in between program segments.  Today they played a few seconds of James....'Laid'.  Frankly I was shocked by the lyrics (the original version of the song), and I realised that it was years (literally) since I'd last heard the song.  Talk about forgotten 'one hit wonders'!  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman
Spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cruelty of the "One Hit Wonder" tag ............. around 40 albums later she is still gigging .......... and hugely respected by those who know her music ...............      

G'day all, another great song from way back when.  Regards, Felix.   

What you do when you're not The Who.    

Eccentric and occasionally sublime Manchester rock band from about 1984 to present day. Has a similar regional and international following as what the Verve achieved.

Even though they are very good, it is still a silly name for a band. "Laid" "Millionaires" and "Pleased to Meet You" are the go-to albums.  Their various Greatest Hits collections are always a hodge-podge, which is entirely reasonable for this band.

As for one-hit wonders, that's how The Church is viewed by the industry as they only ever got one song onto the Billboard Top 100.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I could have some fun here. Gotta a lot of one hit wonders in the memory banks. :)

The Casuals - Jesamine

One of my all time favourite songs and also one that is very close to my heart, even to this day.

I have heard a few other songs by The Casuals and while they are OK, this is really special

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes

Geez...I used to sing this back in the day...

Was a crowd favourite...for a VERY SHORT time...

• Like 1

Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady

This received a lot of radio airplay when it came out in 1970, but mostly it was the single version, which was butchered down to around 2.5 minutes. Just occasionally they would play the full length album version, ~7 minutes long. For a long time I only had a copy of the cut down version, on an old jukebox 45rpm single, until I eventually tracked down a CD with the full album on it.

To be honest, the rest of the CD is a bit so-so, but Green Eyed Lady is something of a gem. I loved it then, and still do, but cutting it down to 2.5 from 7 minutes was a crime.

I'm not aware if Sugarloaf released any other singles in Australia, can't recall any.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Fields - Three Minstrels

If memory serves me right (and it doesn't always) this was released as a single in Australia in 1972. I'm not sure if this was a hit or not, but I like it. I love the heavy organ sound with the swirling leslie speakers (not something you hear so much these days). Fields were a trio that formed out of Rare Bird, but they only released one album, and this single, before they called it quits. They were treated very poorly by their record company after a change of management, and became disillusioned with the record industry.

Its a great album too, re-released on CD by Esoteric a few years ago. I have a couple of Rare Bird albums, which have a similar organ sound, but it all came together on the Fields album. Its a real pity they didn't continue.

• Like 1

What ........... there are people out there who don't listen to The Ferrets - Dreams of a Love album on a regular basis ........ shame on you .............. :ohmy::ohmy: .......... or watch The Promise's video hoping that this time the long awaited major wardrobe malfunction would finally occur .................. :):)     

I have been waiting for it since 1978 ............ :):) ........          

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 3
Cracking good version of Fortune Teller by Sydney band The Throb (1966)

Imo this version is better than the Rolling Stones version.
  • Like 2