Mike13

Amp recommendations for Hulgich Astors

On 18/01/2018 at 7:02 PM, andyr said:

Hi Michael,

The pre you heard at my place on Sunday will be up for sale in a couple of months, if my current plans prove a success.

See this recent post on the AKSA Forum on DIYAudio describing what I am in the process of:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/284573-maya200-10.html#post5307940

I'm in the final assembly stage of the 8-channel volume control+4-channel tube buffer.

Andy

Hi Andy. Looks pretty technical! I couldn’t tell how good the pre was in your system, just that the whole system was very clear. Hopefully you get a chance to put those massive subs to the test. Atm they are just audible (I know that’s how it’s supposed to be though). 

Update: I bought a temporary pre/pro upgrade (I think) to replace the Marantz: 

It’s build is so much better. I haven’t had a chance to fully test it and use the Audessy.

I got it for the hopefully better pre and so I can use the HDMI out to my TV again (Marantz got fried from me not switching power off). Unfortunately, there is still a loud buzz from the mains when the HDMI out to TV is connected.

It also means nothing to power the centre so it’s off to storage, unless there is an amp for it that is not expensive and would fit in the cabinet.

6 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Hi Andy. Looks pretty technical! I couldn’t tell how good the pre was in your system, just that the whole system was very clear.

If the pre wasn't 'clear' - then you wouldn't have heard the sound like you did.  :)

Hopefully you get a chance to put those massive subs to the test. Atm they are just audible (I know that’s how it’s supposed to be though). 

I'm not going to be turning the subs up, Mike - they're set just right. (The whole point of subs, IMO, is that they shouldn't draw attention to themselves - they're just there, filling in the bottom end.  :) )

Interestingly enough, the room sweeps I've done show the sub frequencies are at least 5dB above the bass & mid range.

Andy

Edited by andyr

8 minutes ago, andyr said:

I'm not going to be turning the subs up, Mike - they're set just right. (The whole point of subs, IMO, is that they shouldn't draw attention to themselves - they're just there, filling in the bottom end.  :) )

Interestingly enough, the room sweeps I've done show the sub frequencies are at least 5dB above the bass & mid range.

Andy

Andy,

dont take this the wrong way..... but, but but......

you set them up just right FOR YOU!   YOURSELF!    :P

Deaf mutes like me need to feel it SHAKE! 

18 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Andy,

dont take this the wrong way..... but, but but......

you set them up just right FOR YOU!   YOURSELF!    :P

Deaf mutes like me need to feel it SHAKE!

Haha - yes, Peter ... very true!  :thumb:  It's easier enough to increase the subs with the miniDSP; I might have to invite Mike round and do this with him - so I can see what his preference is.  :lol:

Re. my preference ... I can certainly hear bass, with the subs, that I can't hear when the subs are muted!  :)

Andy

Its an interesting point. We are all accustomed to excess bass that we think its unusual when its not there.

56 minutes ago, andyr said:

If the pre wasn't 'clear' - then you wouldn't have heard the sound like you did.  :)

Well that’s a good way of judging it!

5 hours ago, Mike13 said:

It also means nothing to power the centre so it’s off to storage, unless there is an amp for it that is not expensive and would fit in the cabinet.

Another Nord poweramp?