Jump to content

Mike13

Amp recommendations for Hulgich Astors

Recommended Posts

Sponsor

those amps have way more powerful than what you require for the Astor's on any room.

Nice photos

 

Cheers.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HA_Nick said:

those amps have way more powerful than what you require for the Astor's on any room.

Nice photos

 

Cheers.

Nick

HULGICHAUDIO

Cheers Nick. I don’t think I have it as loud as it will go.

 

There is another thread here on chest thump. This combination certainly does that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheers Nick. I don’t think I have it as loud as it will go.
 
There is another thread here on chest thump. This combination certainly does that.
 

Hi Mike.
Wow your room is looking really good. I was a bit worried when I saw the pics a few posts ago. Omg. What a mess! You've obviously been working overtime and it's paying off.
You've got a great system there. For both HT and 2ch. Those Astors with the Nords will fill that space with ease. The key will be the pre amp.
If you haven't already set the Node 2 to fixed volume output and let the Marantz do the volume for the time being. Send the signal from the Node via analog to the Marantz. That way the Node will decode MQA files. The Bluesound volume control is not the best. When listening to 2ch set the Marantz to "Direct" or similar to bypass HT processing and room correction. See if this makes things easier.
While you're enjoying the tunes start looking for pre with a HT bypass.
They're quite common now. With one of these you'll have all you need.
Your only other issue as i see it is the wall of glass on your right. I know you're aware of this but as others have said perfection in home audio is like catching unicorns.
Glad you're keeping that centre. It's a beast.
Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

The key will be the pre amp.

Hi Mpr. Spot on. My thoughts have turned to this and I’ll post my thoughts below.

33 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

If you haven't already set the Node 2 to fixed volume output and let the Marantz do the volume for the time being. Send the signal from the Node via analog to the Marantz. That way the Node will decode MQA files.

Perfect re MQA. I wonder, if you have a non MQA capable DAC that is far superior to the Bluesound, which would sound better. 

33 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

The Bluesound volume control is not the best. When listening to 2ch set the Marantz to "Direct" or similar to bypass HT processing and room correction.

For some reason, I usually like the sound of the Marantz processing better than Direct. 

 

33 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

Your only other issue as i see it is the wall of glass on your right.

I know. I want to put a big vase there with sticks in it, placing it with the mirror technique. Saw this at an SNA’ers place recently and it looked good.

33 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

Glad you're keeping that centre. It's a beast.

It’s a silent beast ATM. Al is right about the grill making it less obvious.

 

You guys won’t like this, but my favourite brown recliner armchair got re-inserted into the room. So now I watch TV from there, listening to the left speaker. Maybe I should put it in mono!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it is compatible with your power amps but if it is then this may be a good short term fix.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-amps and DACs. What I’ve learnt from SNA:

 

Pre-amps:

- pre-amps are as important as the power amp

- separates are usually better

- some say a good DAC with good volume control is as good

- pre-amp matching with power amp is important

- therefore a safe bet is to stick with the same brand, though other combos can work

- pre’s with valves can sound good and work with solid state powers

 

DACs:

- good DACs are quite similar. I read @Sime say if his 2Cute was 100%, the Bluesound Node 2 is about 97%

- chord electronics aren’t the only good DAC brand

- the line out, if I use something like a mojo, has to have the right something out 3V? (i just remember I’ll need to check that note)

- mojo probably isn’t good for this purpose anyway (I still want to try the AK240 I got as a replacement for the mojo as a in system DAC - it has two in it)

 

My thoughts:

- it might be better to buy a fairly good pre without a DAC and keep it long term because DAC tech moves quicker than pre tech.

- buy 2nd hand or buy Nord

- buy from Melb and ask to try it at mine (do sellers do that?)

- buy a pre before a DAC

- possibly buy room treatment before a pre

- buy a pre before looking at DSP

- re-read DSP limitations on ability to use DAC

 

Audio options are infinite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the pros: is it possible to turn on two amps with the remote trigger? There is one on each amp but only one input on the Marantz AVR (would a splitter work)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
7 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Question for the pros: is it possible to turn on two amps with the remote trigger? There is one on each amp but only one input on the Marantz AVR (would a splitter work)?

Yes it should work.

But some amps have a Trigger in and a Trigger out for daisy chaining. I assume yours does not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, joz said:

Yes it should work.

But some amps have a Trigger in and a Trigger out for daisy chaining. I assume yours does not?

Ahhh. They do have an in and an out. I was wondering what the ‘in’ was for. And each amp came with a trigger cord. I feel like this was an easy puzzle I failed!

 

Thanks Jon, easier for the wife with one button to turn everything on (she works in finance IT systems, but for some reason has no idea about electronics!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
Just now, Mike13 said:

Ahhh. They do have an in and an out. I was wondering what the ‘in’ was for. And each amp came with a trigger cord. I feel like this was an easy puzzle I failed!

 

Thanks Jon, easier for the wife with one button to turn everything on (she works in finance IT systems, but for some reason has no idea about electronics!) 

No probs :thumb:

 

But it's joz not Jon :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 11:49 PM, Mike13 said:

Pre-amps and DACs. What I’ve learnt from SNA:

 

Pre-amps:

- pre-amps are as important as the power amp

- separates are usually better

- some say a good DAC with good volume control is as good

- pre-amp matching with power amp is important

- therefore a safe bet is to stick with the same brand, though other combos can work

- pre’s with valves can sound good and work with solid state powers

 

DACs:

- good DACs are quite similar. I read @Sime say if his 2Cute was 100%, the Bluesound Node 2 is about 97%

- chord electronics aren’t the only good DAC brand

- the line out, if I use something like a mojo, has to have the right something out 3V? (i just remember I’ll need to check that note)

- mojo probably isn’t good for this purpose anyway (I still want to try the AK240 I got as a replacement for the mojo as a in system DAC - it has two in it)

 

My thoughts:

- it might be better to buy a fairly good pre without a DAC and keep it long term because DAC tech moves quicker than pre tech.

- buy 2nd hand or buy Nord

- buy from Melb and ask to try it at mine (do sellers do that?)

- buy a pre before a DAC

- possibly buy room treatment before a pre

- buy a pre before looking at DSP

- re-read DSP limitations on ability to use DAC

 

Audio options are infinite.

So has OP settled on his future amp(s) yet? Or still deciding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sirmorebeer said:

So has OP settled on his future amp(s) yet? Or still deciding?

Hi Sirmorebeer. It’s buried in the thread somewhere. I got Nord monoblocks for power. They give the speakers more ‘umph’ in the bottom end.

 

The pre I am undecided on and may see if I can borrow one from a meme we. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

 

The pre I am undecided on and may see if I can borrow one from a meme we. 

 

 

Hi Michael,

 

The pre you heard at my place on Sunday will be up for sale in a couple of months, if my current plans prove a success.

 

See this recent post on the AKSA Forum on DIYAudio describing what I am in the process of:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/284573-maya200-10.html#post5307940

 

I'm in the final assembly stage of the 8-channel volume control+4-channel tube buffer.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, Mike13 said:

Pre-amps and DACs. What I’ve learnt from SNA:

 

Pre-amps:

- pre-amps are as important as the power amp

- separates are usually better

- some say a good DAC with good volume control is as good

- pre-amp matching with power amp is important

- therefore a safe bet is to stick with the same brand, though other combos can work

- pre’s with valves can sound good and work with solid state powers

 

DACs:

- good DACs are quite similar. I read @Sime say if his 2Cute was 100%, the Bluesound Node 2 is about 97%

- chord electronics aren’t the only good DAC brand

- the line out, if I use something like a mojo, has to have the right something out 3V? (i just remember I’ll need to check that note)

- mojo probably isn’t good for this purpose anyway (I still want to try the AK240 I got as a replacement for the mojo as a in system DAC - it has two in it)

 

My thoughts:

- it might be better to buy a fairly good pre without a DAC and keep it long term because DAC tech moves quicker than pre tech.

- buy 2nd hand or buy Nord

- buy from Melb and ask to try it at mine (do sellers do that?)

- buy a pre before a DAC

- possibly buy room treatment before a pre

- buy a pre before looking at DSP

- re-read DSP limitations on ability to use DAC

 

Audio options are infinite.

Perhaps an Oppo HPA-1 preamp/DAC/Headphone amp would be worth considering as a preamp?

I borrowed one off a friend and am quite shocked by how good it sounds -both as a preamp and a DAC. It sounds like a $3000  plus preamp plus a $3000 plus DAC to me and  only costs $1600!Plus you have a really good headphone amp.One reviewer  said the DAC compared well to his $10,000 Meitner  and from what I am hearing that would not surprise me.Unlike most preamp/DACs it uses a fully discrete Class A preamp section-not just a digital preamp or volume control .

It has made a huge improvement in the sound of my NAKSA 80 power amp compared to using a DAC with just a volume control or a passive preamp.

Edited by THOMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy. Thanks again for the listen. I liked the system and that was a first listen to a proper record player set up. I don’t think I’ve recently listened to a full record recently.

 

Spotify and Tidal have me jumping all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THOMO said:

Perhaps an Oppo HPA-1.

I borrowed one off a friend and am quite shocked by how good it sounds -both as a preamp and a DAC. It sounds like a $3000  plus preamp plus a $3000 plus DAC to me and  only costs $1600!

Sounds like great value!

 

1 minute ago, THOMO said:

Plus you have a really good headphone amp.

Bonus for me as I heard the Sennheiser HD800S at DJs and it was phenomenal. On my list down the track. 

1 minute ago, THOMO said:

it uses a fully discrete Class A preamp section-not just a digital preamp or volume control .

Is this something I should look for generally in a pre-amp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fascinating read on a Sunday morning.

 

Thanks for the advice, ideas and information!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×