Record cleaning - what do you rate?

46 minutes ago, crisis said:

Any idea where I could source this in Aus? I found small batches on Ebay bit the freight from the UK is a bit excessive.

I bought some 6 months ago from a camera shop in Sydney. I cant remember which one though.   I think it was about $50 for a litre

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crisis said:

Any idea where I could source this in Aus? I found small batches on Ebay bit the freight from the UK is a bit excessive.

I bought Ilfotrol in Oz, via Google.  Not expensive at all.

EDIT: yes, re. Ugly's post ... it was from a camera shop.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Guest PhilEStein
44 minutes ago, crisis said:

I bought my Ilfotol from DigiDirect. Other on-line photo supply stores also sell it. You might be able to get it from your local camera store.

1 hour ago, crisis said:

Try Total Photographic(?) in Kent Town, they stock a fair amount of Ilford consumables.

• Like 1

You can purchase it in the camera shop in Adelaide Central Market. 

Ive got a bottle I can share some if you want. I can’t see where you are- if interstate I’d have to charge you for a bottle and postage at cost. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have read where people put a drop of detergent in as a surfactant. I got hold of some plant based no additives no color gear which I think I might try. I am going to give a record a go this weekend. So about 1/2 and 1/2 demineralised water/iso alcohol and a couple of drops of this gear I'm thinking?

• Like 1

Hi @crisis - the traditional recommendation mix is keep the iso alcohol down to around 20% max.

(Risk of increased removal of plasticisers on the vinyl.)

With a drop or 2 of the detergent/surfactant as a surface wetting agent.

However, ideally use just pure non-ionic (pH neutral), detergent/surfactant (no additives, colourings, bleach, perfumes, etc) - if you have such concentrate, then 0.1-0.5% dilution is all you'll need - certainly adequate if you are ultrasonic cleaning.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• Like 1