Record cleaning - what do you rate?

Hi all, 

ive just shipped over from the UK all my old records and they are a lot dustier and grimier than I remembered.

I’m hoping to get some advice on what’s the best way to clean them up? 

I do do have a carbon brush but they are a bit beyond that... 

i did see the project mk2 record cleaner and some cheaper ones on eBay.. any good? 

Can I use a home made solution or do I need to buy off the shelf? 

Cheers 

Dusty and grimey.....My vote is for Revirginizer but maybe run them under tap first, without getting the label wet, and then dry carefully and lightly with a tissue (with the grooves, not across them) before applying it. This product will get your LP's back to a pristine groove deep clean but it does take awhile, as it has to 'dry/set' before peeling off. If you want to do quick cleaning for quicker playing, an RCM (record cleaning machine), if you can afford a decent one, will suffice. Good luck and enjoy the results!:thumb: If you don't want to spend anything for now, just go 'rinse and tissue', the SQ results will tell you if they need a more thorough job.:)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

There has been lots of discussion on record cleaning on this site over time. In fact some one started one today, just before yours.

How many you intend to clean may be a factor in what way you chose.

In my opinion you cannot go past Ultrasonic cleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chubbsr1 said:

Hi all, 

ive just shipped over from the UK all my old records and they are a lot dustier and grimier than I remembered.

I’m hoping to get some advice on what’s the best way to clean them up? 

How many LPs do you have?

The answer for 1000 is different (IMO) to 100 ... to 10.

I do do have a carbon brush but they are a bit beyond that... 

The CF brush just cleans any dust on the surface that might've fallen there - it's not a "deep clean" solution!  :winky:

i did see the project mk2 record cleaner and some cheaper ones on eBay.. any good? 

There are lots of wet/vac cleaners around, these days.  I paid USD500 for my manual Nitty Gritty about 20 years ago.  I thoroughly recommend it - but I believe they've just shut their doors ... so you need to find some other one.  Project might be good - so are VPI etc.

Can I use a home made solution or do I need to buy off the shelf? 

Cheers 

Some people swear by various commercial (pre-made) solutions.  I've always used a mixture of:

1. IPA (isopropyl alcohol)
  2. distilled water (not just produced by pumping through a membrane - sorry, forget the name of this process :( )
  3. a few drops of a surfactant (like Ilford Ilfotrol).

The ratio of #1 and #2 has varied from 1:1 to 1:2.

Andy

• Like 3

Some people swear by various commercial (pre-made) solutions.  I've always used a mixture of:
  1. IPA (isopropyl alcohol)
  2. distilled water (not just produced by pumping through a membrane - sorry, forget the name of this process [emoji20] )
  3. a few drops of a surfactant (like Ilford Ilfotrol).
The ratio of #1 and #2 has varied from 1:1 to 1:2.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I’ve got a few hundred but I’m sure the collection will grow over time..

I’m looking at the ultrasonic bath link above and think that would probably be a good starting point then once I’ve got the hang of that if it’s any benefit to look at a record vacuum then I can do at a later stage..

The spin clean products you can buy at jb hifi I think will just end up in the bin soon after purchase so want to make sure I go around it the right way, but not spend $1k initially...

The US bath will set you back about $500 to set it up depending on which motor setup you go for if you’re handy you might be able to rig something up for a lot less.

Hi @chubbsr1 - in AU the cleaner tanks (6 Litre, ebay) cost under $200 from what I've seen.

Of course, I would have to agree with @EV Cali - our 'kit' will cost you just an additional $175 (+ postage).

I used the traditional 20% IPA mix for years, but the pure detergent wash (eg Triton X-100) works better & sounds better (IMHO).

(Additionally, US Library of Congress avoid alcohols in their record cleaning.)

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

I have recently bought a "Squeaky Clean" 3d printed vacuum record cleaner (from an SNA'er).   https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/

I haven't used it yet (have just sourced a wet vac. cleaner and some Triton X-100), but am very impressed with the build quality.  It gets favourable reviews online, and there are "how to" videos showing the use.  It requires a cleaning solution like the ones described above.

It appears to rival the results of very expensive vacuum record cleaners (that have the vacuum cleaner built under the turntable).  It's a lot cheaper than an ultrasonic, and you don't have to worry about drying the disks as much. 

The results from these vacuum cleaners and ultrasonics appear to similarly good, but you will note that individuals on the internet are passionate about their preferences. 

2 hours ago, chubbsr1 said:

Thanks Owen, is this the right size of ultrasonic cleaner?

Seems a good price....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262670463413

looks identical to mine but I paid $180 a year or so ago. They appear to have progressively come down in price since then. 

I am tempted to buy a second one :)

Edited by EV Cali

3 hours ago, chubbsr1 said:

Thanks Owen, is this the right size of ultrasonic cleaner?

Seems a good price....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262670463413

Hi @chubbsr1 -  that certainly appears to be identical to mine, a PS-30A model, 220-240vac (rear label), 6 Litre.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• 4 months later...

Did you buy the 'Early bird' ... or the 'Late bird'?  One seems more powerful than the other in that it's specced to 10l of fluid instead of 4l.

Irrespective, I suspect you have not spent your money wisely.  It appears to be only rated at 50w power ... and the frequency it operates at is not specified.  So - for LPs at least - it is not the "ultimate ultrasonic cleaning tool".  ☹️

Andy

On 17/05/2018 at 6:52 PM, Citroen said:

Andy, I think its 1 sonic soak does 4l, 2 does 10l, 3 does 15, 4 does 25l

Sure - but IMO he would've done better to have bought Owen's kit.

Andy

55 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

The person responsible must have had a huge record collection to wash.  Hope he had a vacuum-drying system, otherwise drying that many disks would have been difficult. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Out of curiosity, should you clean your new vinyl if it's factory sealed?  Or is there no need?

I used to clean new records with my Nitty Gritty and they sounded better. Groove noise was lower.

• Like 1

Hey @Kaynin - IMO you do not need to clean a new record, but there is definite sonic benefit in cleaning new pressings.

It cleans off manufacturing residue/s possibly & there is audible improvement. More dynamics, more resolution.

With either brush/chemical cleaning & esp ultrasonic cleaning, IME.

I try to do it to all my new vinyl (eventually, when I get around to it ;) )

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 1