VAF DC X63 Speakers

That type of baffle arrangement tends to give a narrow sweet spot and positioning is critical.My Sonique Encores were like that.Nothing wrong with it just a different sort of presentation.Imaging depth and height is probably really good which you will hear on some recordings more than others.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I love mine, and I have had most of the previous DC-X models before the X-63,  The X-63 were the best of that product line and were still reasonably priced. Price vs Performance was exceptional.   Pretty sure the new revised DC-7mk3  are great but wont fill the gap left by the X series. 

Shame it is a discontinued line and they were only out for a few years before production stopped.  My understanding was production cost vs sales margin were not financially viable anymore with all the drivers and cabinetry work required. (I may be wrong)

I wonder what the new i25, i35 and i45 are like,  but they are getting up there in price as well.   Seems like a huge jump in pricing jump across all the VAF lines recently.  

Edited by Syrot
  • Like 1

^^ that's good to kno

unfortunately I don't think my setup is doing them full justice, particularly the multi-use living room of the townhouse we live in now.  we'll be starting a new  build next year. I'm looking forward to the new room (4.8x6.3m) that should give them a wee bit more breathing room. will also look to get a better amp to drive them - I'm liking the RGi120ENR by Redgum for an all Aussie affair. hope one pops up again in the classifieds, I missed out on the last one by a matter of hours...  

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, wasabijim said:

^^ that's good to kno

unfortunately I don't think my setup is doing them full justice, particularly the multi-use living room of the townhouse we live in now.  we'll be starting a new  build next year. I'm looking forward to the new room (4.8x6.3m) that should give them a wee bit more breathing room. will also look to get a better amp to drive them - I'm liking the RGi120ENR by Redgum for an all Aussie affair. hope one pops up again in the classifieds, I missed out on the last one by a matter of hours...  

Haha, I was a bit like you. 

In my previous home I had the VAFs in the main lounge / media room which was quite large.  Since we moved house, the new media room is only 3.3 m wide and 5.5 m long and can be totally closed off.   I found the DCX63 overpowered the room and bass sounded a bit muddied and the low mids sounded  messed up.  Moved them out of the media room into the large open spaced living room and totally different sound and reset them to what I knew they could do.    I also run a REDGUM’s RGH900 (old version with active cooling not the huge wave heat sink versions they have now) bi-amped to the VAFs and it is a great match sound and power wise.  

Edited by Syrot

• 2 years later...

doing a bit a threat reviving.... 

i'm after any thoughts, tips for young players, etc. regarding placement of these bad boys.

I've these now set up in a dedicated listening room 4.8 x 6.3m and gone with a pretty typical set up. 90cm off the side walls, 70cm from the rear (measuring front corners of the speaker), aiming just behind listening spot. I did do some initial placement experimentation but didn't notice massive differences. at 30kg each my back certainly felt the efforts tweaking positions! so I'm reluctant to undertake anymore moves to "just see"... I'd rather have more clarity with what to try rather than random trial and error. 

the printed user guide states the design does well with placements as close as 10cm off the rear wall but that sounded more of an "if you have to" statement. similar with minimal toe in (if I recall correctly). however I've got the space to avoid this usually compromising position.

things are OK now but it could be a matter of a little effort paying high dividends. stereo imaging and soundstage are OK, better with some recording than others. Bass could be a little more pronounced but is there down to round 38Hz where it starts to roll off. I've a sub and in room that rolls off a little under 30Hz. even with Anit-Mode EQ on the subwoofer I get a null around the listening spot (grr....), so maybe better placement of the mains could help smooth this out - I have the mains running full range for this reason but setting a cross-over at 50Hz still sounds nice and punchy. the amp is not wanting for power (200/400w rms into 8/4ohlms).

I've 'super chuck' corner traps that come 60cm along the walls if that is a consideration for placement and performance. currently they're spiked on carpet over concrete floor. 

thanks in advance! 

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, wasabijim said:

i'm after any thoughts, tips for young players, etc. regarding placement of these bad boys.

Try more 'toe in', ir point the speskers so they cross in front of you .... and try sitting closer (you don't say how far back you sit).   

Extreme versions of this might "look funny" .... and seem very counter intuative .... and be impractical in a multi use type of room.... but forget all of that.

• Like 2

A mate of mine ended up sourcing a pair of these in the run out sale (incredible value for money) paired with a Kinki Studio EX-M1 integrated + Denafrips Ares. Sounds great.  :)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1