VAF DC X63 Speakers

Has anyone bought or listened to these they look interesting, time aligned and multidriver.

Whats the deal with twin tweeters, they seem to feature a little more these days in some speaker lines.

https://vaf.com.au/collections/dc-series-speakers/products/dc-x63

271628D7-3D66-4BD8-B14E-1D6E1A7C3432.png

11196DD6-B39D-477C-8C58-2F0DB6AA02FD.jpeg

C30B7F9A-9819-4B1C-A271-4B05238344C3.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

Twin tweeters would give better high frequency dispersion and greater power handling.

I haven’t had a good listen to them, but Simon did mention once that with the X-63 he felt that he had reached the performance limit of the drivers, i.e. there was not much room for further improvement, this being a good thing.

Cheers,

SS

I have 11 VAF speakers and sub in my ht/music room with 63's as mains. Have been very happy with both music and movies. VAF really are great to deal with as well.

I can't tell you about the technical side of it all, but they sound good.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping to get a set of X63s  late this year / early next year,  will have hands full buying house first. dedicated listening area mandatory :thumbsup:

the spec's state for power "up to 200W," any idea of the lower range? my current amp cam comfortably do 50-60W  into 2 channels. they have good efficiency so hoping it will be right

• Like 1

Speaker power rating are usually just a general guide and there’s nothing stopping you from using much more powerful amps. Even if you had a 400w amp you would generally never turn volume up to full volume to get past 200w. A 20w amp could blow the speaker up more than a higher power amp. One should generally never go above about 1-3pm on volume knob.

The DC-X63 is rated at 94dB (at 6ohms) efficiency which is about twice that of many common speakers around 88-90dB so any amp can potentially sound about twice as loud in comparison so your 50w amp should be ok. It is more complicated than that in reality and there other posts debating that.

What amp have you got?

See also 

• Like 1

They look to be a very high value speaker.

The high sensitivity is interesting but you would need to see an impedance curve.I suspect it might dip well below the nominal 6 ohm if they are using 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel so might not suit low /medium powered amps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, THOMO said:

They look to be a very high value speaker.

The high sensitivity is interesting but you would need to see an impedance curve.I suspect it might dip well below the nominal 6 ohm if they are using 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel so might not suit low /medium powered amps.

ALL decent amplifiers will deal with 4 Ohm loads easily. Just a nit: It's not the "power" per se that may be a problem with speakers that exhibit low(ish) impedance curves. It is the CURRENT that can be an issue. With 94dB/2.83VRMS/M sensitivity, I would expect that a decent, 50 Watt amplifier is all these puppies need to sing. Obviously, I would need to see the impedance curve, but I would think that any amplifier rated to operate with 4 Ohm loads should work just fine. 

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

ALL decent amplifiers will deal with 4 Ohm loads easily. Just a nit: It's not the "power" per se that may be a problem with speakers that exhibit low(ish) impedance curves. It is the CURRENT that can be an issue. With 94dB/2.83VRMS/M sensitivity, I would expect that a decent, 50 Watt amplifier is all these puppies need to sing. Obviously, I would need to see the impedance curve, but I would think that any amplifier rated to operate with 4 Ohm loads should work just fine. 

Not so sure about that.I have owned speakers with similar configurations of two woofers and two midranges using 8 ohm drivers and found them pigs of things to drive.Even more difficult that the Gale 401s.

4 hours ago, THOMO said:

Not so sure about that.I have owned speakers with similar configurations of two woofers and two midranges using 8 ohm drivers and found them pigs of things to drive.Even more difficult that the Gale 401s.

You can't tell be just looking at the driver line-up. You can only tell by examining the impedance curve. 

9 hours ago, THOMO said:

Here is the impedance curve of the DC-X63. As you can see, any decent amplifier, with 4 Ohm capability can deal with these puppies. NAD, Marantz, etc. The list of suitable amps is very broad. And with 94dB sensitivity, 50 Watts should be ample.

Thanks to Simon from VAF for providing this information in a very timely manner.

DCX63IMP.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Here is the impedance curve of the DC-X63. As you can see, any decent amplifier, with 4 Ohm capability can deal with these puppies. NAD, Marantz, etc. The list of suitable amps is very broad. And with 94dB sensitivity, 50 Watts should be ample.

Thanks to Simon from VAF for providing this information in a very timely manner.

DCX63IMP.JPG

Yes I agree.That looks fine for most  SS amps.

How they have managed to keep the impedance above 4 ohms is a bit of a mystery but well done them.

Perhaps the drivers are all genuine 8 ohm whereas most that are rated at 8 ohm are really more like 6-7 ohm and before you know it you are looking at 3 ohms when they are paralleled and that gets far more tricky.

Hi Vi drivers?

Looks even more of a bargain for anybody wanting a big easy full range speaker.

As long as the default colours are not Port Adelaide Football Club!

Edited by THOMO

thanks for input chaps, i spent a bit of time last week trying to get around the whole how power and matching amp n speakers.... then there's the marketing hype when they list the specs. figured at some point i'd just put it to the collective for thoughts

I'm running  an Onkyo tx-8150

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/2/8/7/0/8/ONKYO_TX-8150_datasheet_EN.pdf

https://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/tx-8150/review

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS (on web and retail sites)

Power Output: 135 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 Channel Driven, IEC); 140 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 2 Channels Driven, JEITA)

but from deep in pdf specs - 

Dynamic Power 190 W (3 Ω) 170 W (4 Ω) 110 W (8 Ω)

THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise) 0.08% (20 Hz–20 kHz, Half Power)

** what exactly is half power?

a few blog type reviews state RMS 55W per ch, and I'd hope that their "high current" WRAT tech delivers 

Edited by wasabijim
typo

Some speakers with multiple drivers also use 16 ohm drivers so when hooked up together they present around 8 ohm and the crossover circuit is involved as well.

• 10 months later...

As there are six quality drivers per cabinet (which are also quite complicated to build, stepped baffles various internal compartments and braces) I believe Vaf would have had to increase prices on these

in future to a level approaching their Signature range, so unfortunately they have dropped this speaker (which is a bargain price on their "runout" sale)

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, BenjaminG said:

Had my eye on the X63 range for some time, so have purchased 3x sets and the matching centre speaker. Will beg forgiveness from the significant other. Can't wait to get them installed!

That is an amazing setup! Even more amazing is that your partner will let you live! Hopefully they will get enough breathing room. Well done. Cheers.

8 hours ago, Nigel_pl said:

That is an amazing setup! Even more amazing is that your partner will let you live! Hopefully they will get enough breathing room. Well done. Cheers.

Thanks guys, see how we go. It really has been a dream since I was 16 or so to get them. Yeah, I was a pretty screwed up kid I guess! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just initial thoughts, still letting them settle in (or ears adjust), plus i know my room and set up probably don't do them enough justice. also i'm no expert...

- they are big. i know the dimensions are listed and I have a tape measure etc. but i didn't expect them to half dwarf the tv and entertainment unit. that said they blend in discretely. had to move sofa around and the inlaws noticed that first.

- detail and realism stand out thus far. particularly string plucks and leading edge on percussion. you can pick out he different instruments, e.g. i could tell there was multiple brass players in the mix. 

- generally smooth with nice rhythm but not overly forgiving on a few occasions or just more revealing of shortfalls in the chain. seem to do more for female vocals.

- narrow sweet spot, a foot either direction on the sofa and the balance is gone but this most likely a result of set-up - not being able to get much toe in. hints at instrument depth. hopefully time will improve this. 

- bass is more tuneful, and again sounds like an actual bass or minimoog synth, etc. initially it didn't have the snap and standout presence I was hoping for but this was literally out of the box with less than 1hr of play as i skipped through an "audit test" playlist i have and tested tracks with rampart double kick bass drum (Moonspell - Opium). 

I'll repost my thoughts in a few weeks

• Like 3

On 06/03/2019 at 10:13 PM, wasabijim said:

just initial thoughts, still letting them settle in (or ears adjust), plus i know my room and set up probably don't do them enough justice. also i'm no expert...

Thanks for your initial thoughts. I think a settling period might help with a few of the observations. Looking forward to the next update ?