Sound absorbing curtains?

On 07/08/2019 at 8:06 AM, RA-Bowtie said:

Hi Steve,

I realise that you posted this a while ago, but I would be very interested if you could supply the name of the place that made these and what they cost you.

Michael

@Steve100 I’d be interested in finding out who made your curtains too please....cheers

• 6 months later...

Old thread, I know, but I thought I’d add to it, since I found it helpful in my own need for curtains.

Im placing an order for my curtains next week, and found that OnlineCurtains have been great to deal with.

Pricing wise, for a 5.4m wide x 2.8m high window using Materialised Cameron acoustic fabric is about $860 including track/delivery, using 2.25x fullness ration (ie, 5.4 x 2.25m uses 12.15m width of curtains for the 5.4m wide window).

Adding a Bumph interlining and blockout lining bumps the price up considerably to $2350. In this case, the Bumph would be sewn to the blockout liner, and then attached to the curtain hooks of the face fabric.

The noise reduction specs for the Cameron fabric are pretty decent, so if blockout is not required then they’re probably worth a try without lining first, especially if the curtains are mounted 10-15cm away from the window/wall, as recommended. Even 2 layers of Cameron with some spacing between them might be very effective, if blockout isn’t required?!

Hope this helps the next person after acoustic curtains that are visually acceptable for partners etc!

True. I was a bit shocked, but even if I was to DIY the bumph and blockout linings, the materials cost would be about $700, vs about $400 for just the acoustic fabric.

Edit- i thought the Bumph and blockout liner would be cheaper than the face fabric, which it is, however they're much narrower (1.5m vs 2.8m), so require more sewing, so the cost for each extra layer is much the same as the face fabric layer...

Edited by mikk
More info