MoOde Player, its sound and how to install it on a Raspberry Pi

On 1/15/2018 at 10:58 PM, allhifi said:

I nearly fell off my chair reading + 38 C. from my -20 C perspective. lol

Having lived most of my life in a cold climate country before moving to Australia, I can even not imagine what it is to go through those long dark winters in the North :D  (although it can have very beautiful sides to it, eg fresh snow).

Yes, try to compile the new MoOde and see whether you like it. I agree that it is so much more  flexible as it has heaps of options to choose from.

The good thing is that you don't have to overwrite anything with the Pi. Just take the micro SD (mSD) with your working MoOde out and use a new one for the new compiled one. If you are unhappy with it, just swap your old mSD back...

Cheers

Edited by LongtimeListener

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing I would do if you go the Pi route:

Format your external hard disk with a Linux disk format. This ensures the optimal data transfer. I use for example ext4 but there are many other formats available. Stay away from Windows file formats like VFAT etc, they are not native to your music server Linux OS on your Pi.

The occasionally clicks and pops, which are data transfer hickups are gone since I use ext4, the sound seems (I stress "seems") to have improved, too. I guess this has to do with the DAC not being  stressed to re-read missing packs in the data stream.

And make sure the hard disk has all read/write rights for the Pi after you have played back all your music to the re-formatted external hard disk. If you don't have a Linux computer to format your external hard disk, you can do this from your Pi via ssh and terminal. Best is to ask a friend with a Linux computer to do this for you if you are not familiar with ssh and terminal.

Cheers

1 hour ago, LongtimeListener said:

The occasionally clicks and pops, which are data transfer hickups are gone since I use ext4,

That's odd that you had problems. What filesystem was it - NTFS?  I use a large USB stick formatted to FAT32 and don't experience any problems (with Volumio, but similar situation)   

Also wonder if it's the speed of the Pi.  Which Pi do you have?  Mine is the 3B .

6 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Which Pi do you have?  Mine is the 3B .

Yes, was FAT32 and my Pi is a 3B. It can be so many things really causing those pops and clicks. One could be the DAC itself, the data cable, the external HDD transfer speed, but I think it was the file system in my case. I think it makes sense to take a Linux native format for the storage devices which are  optimised for the Linux OS.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Im hoping for some help, as Ive hit a road block with my moode installation.

I copied all the directions off the moode website, loaded the raspian image, ran it all then did all the moode installation.

I get to a point where it says moode login: .......then it goes to a black screen.

Do i need a second stage of installation ? I was reading on this thread about using a usb as well....sorry Im a bit confused.

This is my first go at a pi.

Cheers

21 hours ago, perth_artist said:

I copied all the directions off the moode website, loaded the raspian image, ran it all then did all the moode installation.

I get to a point where it says moode login: .......then it goes to a black screen.

Do i need a second stage of installation ? I was reading on this thread about using a usb as well....sorry Im a bit confused.

Cheers

Moode takes ages to build itself after it is "installed" and first booted.  Leave it a few hours :)

or, actually now, I would recommend Volumio.   Essentially just as good and works properly from first boot.

@perth_artist, that sounds like a good plan, so you can just swap and use the one you want.

Personally I was not impressed with Volumio at all, and Rune, well, the lack of support put me off. Although that being said, I think mo0de also stopped development if I understand correctly. There's a massive thread at DIYaudio though, and the developer is happy to answer questions.

I've been running mo0de for over half a year now. I ran it for a while with an external hard drive, but that skipped track from time to time. Now I'm running Spotify using Raspotify in mo0de, as well as my FLAC files from a NAS (NFS) server, controlled either through the mo0de interface or MPDroid (Android's MPD client. With the volume knob disabled (100% volume), I get all what I need in things computer audio. Very important though, the Pi's wireless interface is a bit cr@p, so, wherever you can, use a network cable to your main router. It just bloody works!

Cheers,

Alberto

On 11/05/2018 at 9:43 PM, perth_artist said:

Cheers

Hi: Moode (Curtis) ripped me off for $10-bones (lol) for this Meek Audio system -that later was 'free'.

Moode is nothing but a headache. Forgrt Moode fast. Forget Volumio -crappy sounding.

Use Rune Audio -much better (great sounding & decent user interface) and more stable.

Enjoy,

pj 

On 14/05/2018 at 1:24 AM, allhifi said:

Forgrt Moode fast. Forget Volumio -crappy sounding.

Use Rune Audio -much better (great sounding & decent user interface) and more stable.

Enjoy,

pj 

Rune has been a dream for me, have used it for 2 years now.

I'd happily try out other Linux MPDs, but haven't ever found motivation to do so since I haven't seen a persuasive case (or even an adament opinion) that any other system offers better sound than Rune.

Edited by tripitaka

On 14/05/2018 at 1:24 AM, allhifi said:

Hi: Moode (Curtis) ripped me off for $10-bones (lol) for this Meek Audio system -that later was 'free'.

Moode is nothing but a headache. Forgrt Moode fast. Forget Volumio -crappy sounding.

Volumio does not sound crappy.  In fact, the 'sound' is of  mpd (music player daemon) - a well respected backend for linux music playing .  Volumio just provides a convenient front end.    Rune uses the same mpd so potentially sounds the same if you use the same setup..

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Volumio does not sound crappy.  In fact, the 'sound' is of  mpd (music player daemon) - a well respected backend for linux music playing .  Volumio just provides a convenient front end.    Rune uses the same mpd so potentially sounds the same if you use the same setup..

That makes sense.... this can now be my default position until any new info comes to light on the matter.