Sign in to follow this  
vinni9284

Cambridge DAC Magic+ paired with Emotiva XPA2

Good morning everyone.

First time thread for me and thank you all in advance for reading and commenting/advising.

I have done a little searching for similar threads in relation to DAC vs Pre-amp etc and found some knowledgeable advice however I though I would decide to specify exactly what I have so any posters out there had similar spec'd equipment & can share their experiences.

I have recently purchased an Emotiva XPA2 Gen 1 for a bargain price and also have a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus, Pioneer N30 Network player and a set of Polk RTiA9 speakers.

So basically, I wand to connect the N30 Coax out to the Cambridge Coax in and the analogue XLR outs to the XLR in into the Emotiva and bi-wired connected to the Polks.

I believe that the Emotiva earlier Gen amps had an higher input sensitivity and may work well with only the DAC Magic Plus as the pre-amp considering it has a volume control.

I normally crank the music up very loud hence not too worried about the digital volume control (not sure if it is but I assume) being low level.

What are your thoughts?

Do you think the DAC is enough or should I get a Preamp?

Cheers

I ran a similar setup (different DAC) and it worked ok. If too sensitive to volume control, you could get xlr/rca converter.

17 hours ago, vinni9284 said:

Thanks caminperth.

I guess i can go RCA to RCA's as well if that is the case.

Cheers

I ended up selling the DAC/Emotiva combo, moved to a valve integrated and am now onto a valve preamp and Emotiva power amp combo - circular, go figure eh?

What I'm trying to say is that a decent preamp made a big difference in my case.

28 minutes ago, caminperth said:

I ended up selling the DAC/Emotiva combo, moved to a valve integrated and am now onto a valve preamp and Emotiva power amp combo - circular, go figure eh?

What I'm trying to say is that a decent preamp made a big difference in my case.

Thank you.

I guess that we have to dabble a little to get things right :-)

Ok. So what cheap preamp would you recommend that would be better than my DAC?

I guess the word "cheap" is subjective however I'm looking for something under $1K

Cheers

6 hours ago, vinni9284 said:

Ok. So what cheap preamp would you recommend that would be better than my DAC?

I guess the word "cheap" is subjective however I'm looking for something under $1K

Now that is a whole other discussion with a whole lot of different questions. Depends on speakers used, if you want valve or solid state and a heap of things in between!

12 hours ago, caminperth said:

Now that is a whole other discussion with a whole lot of different questions. Depends on speakers used, if you want valve or solid state and a heap of things in between!

Good morning.

I have mentioned the specs on the original post

Amp: Emotiva XPA2

Preamp/DAC: Cambridge Audio DACMagic+

Speakers: Polk RTiA9

Network Streamer: Pioneer N30

I'm open to suggestion to value or SS preamp.

Btw, if you got to read this post before then; then Happy New Year :-)

Cheers

Edited by vinni9284

3 hours ago, vinni9284 said:

Good morning.

I have mentioned the specs on the original post

Amp: Emotiva XPA2

Preamp/DAC: Cambridge Audio DACMagic+

Speakers: Polk RTiA9

Network Streamer: Pioneer N30

I'm open to suggestion to value or SS preamp.

Btw, if you got to read this post before then; then Happy New Year :-)

Cheers

I only have experience with the amp so probably can't help much further, aside from to say that I've found the Primaluna gear to be good value if you want to check out valves.

Worth checking out some reviews and stores to see what fits your needs.

I noticed you're relatively new to this forum - try the "showcase" and "reviews" areas to get a feel for what people use and like.

Best of luck for the journey.

Cheers,

Cam

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blocky
      Item: Cambridge Audio T500 Double Superheterodyne Tuner
      Price: $80
      Item Condition: Working but backlight does not work (LED/globe needs replacing) 
      Reason for selling: Not used 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Not using as I need to minimise my system. 
      Does functionally work but will need to globe replaced for the backlight to see display.
      Apart from the display it is in very good condition. 
      Comes with manual and remote control.
      Pickup preferred. I think I have the original carton too. 

PM me if interested.

Pictures:

• By mrf0ster
      Item: Emotiva XPA-DR2
      Price: 2000.00 (Purchased 3 2 months ago for 2400.00)
      Item Condition: Brand new, excellent, packaging and receipt for warranty purposes. 
      Reason for selling: Change of priorities 
      Extra Info:

Priorities have changed, and audio has to be down the list. This unit is only 3 2 months old and has 4.8 years of warranty remaining. 
      Drove my Paradigm S8’s with ease and grace. Great sounding amp. 

The XPA-DR2 is a high-powered two-channel audiophile power amplifier that combines the exceptional accuracy and finesse of a true balanced differential design with the power you need to deliver musical crescendos and movie special effects with stunning realism and impact. Whatever your listening preferences, the XPA-DR2 will give you the combination of detail and power than only a fully differential amplifier can provide.
      The XPA-DR2 features two of our Differential Reference™ Amplifier Modules, and is the ideal choice to power a no-holds-barred stereo music system, or to power the critical front left and right channels of an absolutely awesome surround sound music or home theater system. The XPA-DR2 delivers 550 watts RMS into 8 Ohms, and 800 watts RMS into 4 Ohms, both channels driven, with less than 0.1% THD.

https://emotiva.com/products/xpa-dr2

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By mrf0ster
      Item: Emotiva XSP-1 GEN1
      Price: $500.00
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Extra Info: https://emotiva.com/products/xsp-1

Used for 6 months then stored in the garage after purchasing the Yamaha CXA5000, also for sale here. Bought back into play 6 months ago and sounds terrific. Power supply and transistors upgraded prior to shipping by Emotiva (Email Attached)  and has never missed a beat! (Still has the plastic protection on the front display). 

If you are interstate and interested, please research shipping and organise yourself.
      Dimensions:
      17” wide x 6” high x 16-1/2” deep (unboxed; includes feet and terminals).
      22″ wide x 19″ deep x 10″ high (boxed)
      Weight: 29.0 lbs.

Thank you. 

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By LWA Staff
      Item: Cambridge Azur 840c CD Player
      Price: Was $950 SN Member's Special $590
      Item Condition: Very good secondhand condition
      Payment Method: Credit Cards, Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer, ZipPay
      Shipping: Anywhere in Federation Space
      Extra Info: Update 26.04.2019 now relisted as the buyer changed his mind
      Many a kind word has been written about the 840c (and the Azur line up generally). This one is in very good secondhand condition and has superb sonic potential. Technically speaking the 840c offers such tricks such as ATFTM (Adaptive Time Filtering) asynchronous up-sampling technology; that wins acronym of the week btw. ATFTM allows for interpolation of 16-bit/44.1kHz CD data to 24-bit/384kHz data, via a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP , which switches to the two (2) x 24-bit/384kHz DACs  in dual differential formation. Each DAC manages one channel for excellent stereo imaging, operating fully in differential mode for exceptionally low distortion and noise. There are unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR outputs. Two digital inputs allowing for the up-sampling / playback of other sources such as a DVD player via the Azur 840C. There is also a Control Bus In/Out, an IR emitter in connection and an RS232 port are provided for easy multi-room connectivity.
      (note: we've plastic shrink wrapped the unit for protection which is why the finish may look a little strange in pictures)
      Pictures:

• By Selby Thornbury
      Item: Cambridge Audio CXC CD Player Silver
      Price: $499  (RRP $799)
      Item Condition: Ex-Display. Some minor marks, but no major dents or deep scratches.
      Reason for selling: Clearance Stock
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal 
      Extra Info: Can be viewed in person at the Thornbury retail store before purchase.
        Manufacturers Sales Pitch: Designed specifically to do one thing only and do it well. The CXC spins CDs and retrieves the audio data with perfect precision so you can hear things that you’ve never heard before in tracks you’ve heard 100 times. 
      At the heart of the CXC is Cambridge Audio's legendary ‘S3’ servo design. 
      Designed for efficient recovery of CD digital data with state of the art error correction it’s been engineered to play audio CDs brilliantly. Multi-purpose drives simply can’t compete. 
      The design was developed for Cambridge's flagship 851C CD player, giving minimal disc jitter and excellent error correction for precise and accurate playback of CDs.
        Specs and Features:  DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUTS: S/PDIF coaxial and TOSLINK optical
      S/PDIF OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: <75ohms
      MAX POWER CONSUMPTION: 25 W
      STANDBY POWER CONSUMPTION: <0.5W
      DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 85mm x 430mm x 315mm (3.1" x 16.9" x 12.4”)
      WEIGHT: 4.7kg (10.3lbs)
      GAPLESS PLAYBACK: Yes
        Condition:  New Open Box Ex Display Unit.  This unit was used for display purposes in a retail environment, minor scratches are present, but no major dents or deep scratches. Excellent working condition. Includes Full Manufacturers Warranty   Feel free to ask for more information.