Help on 55 to 65” choice ? Hisense 55n7

Hi all.  We still use a CRT (!) so be gentle.  We have a new lounge, and despite my protestations to keep it for music only, looks like time for a telly.  We will sit about 3m away.  It’ll likely be wall mounted.  Use it for tv, Netflix, and PlayStation.  Have Panasonic DVD player/recorder.  Will hook up stereo with HD bypass eventually for surround (so will use main stereo for fronts, and setup surround).  Will likely eventually setup Roon for Audio, and maybe a NAS to store stuff on.  Everything is Ethernet cabled. 

Don’t want it to become the dominant focus of the room (that’s what my Osborn Epitomes are for!).

eyeballing current sales.  Reviews suggest maybe Hisense for best bang for buck (and reasonable quality).  Shortlist is maybe the 55n7?  Ideas?  Happy to look at second hand if anyone selling too!  All the best, Mat (Thornbury, Melbourne)

I am sure you can do better with cash on the price.  I was looking at a Panasonic Z950 OLED today at JB and it has a sticker price of $3495.   I was looking at  the number of tech jargon they have on this TV and a sale person came up to me said he can knock another $1000 off the price.  But at $1888 LG is probably the best value  TV at the moment,   it is hard to justified the extra for the Pana.  I know the Pana has better picture out of box without calibration.  I guess soon we will see 55 inch OLED panel under $1500 and that will be sweet.   I am usually a person who buy a TV when the old one is dead, surprisingly my Samsung D8000 is still going strong after almost 8 years of uninterrupted service.  Sometime I wish it will die tomorrow so I can have an excuse for a new TV.

Edited by Jliang70

23 hours ago, Jliang70 said:

I am sure you can do better with cash on the price.  I was looking at a Panasonic Z950 OLED today at JB and it has a sticker price of $3495.   I was looking at  the number of tech jargon they have on this TV and a sale person came up to me said he can knock another $1000 off the price.  But at $1888 LG is probably the best value  TV at the moment,   it is hard to justified the extra for the Pana.  I know the Pana has better picture out of box without calibration.  I guess soon we will see 55 inch OLED panel under $1500 and that will be sweet.   I am usually a person who buy a TV when the old one is dead, surprisingly my Samsung D8000 is still going strong after almost 8 years of uninterrupted service.  Sometime I wish it will die tomorrow so I can have an excuse for a new TV.

I'm in exactly the same situation. D8000 still pumping along, giving excellent picture and does FTA better than all current TVs too!

Run Plex on it and it doubles as a media streamer, playing files from my network.

8 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

I'm in exactly the same situation. D8000 still pumping along, giving excellent picture and does FTA better than all current TVs too!

Run Plex on it and it doubles as a media streamer, playing files from my network.

You got another good D8000,  our ones seem to outlive some of the other unit.  Mine is still going strong without a hint problem.  It was definitely a good buy considered I paid around $1600 for it .   Just maybe it can get me over the time when a 65 inch  OLED or QLED will be under $3000.

6 minutes ago, Jliang70 said:

You got another good D8000,  our ones seem to outlive some of the other unit.  Mine is still going strong without a hint problem.  It was definitely a good buy considered I paid around $1600 for it .   Just maybe it can get me over the time when a 65 inch  OLED or QLED will be under $3000.

Yep. Mine does suffer from a little bit of buzz, especially when displaying bright/white scenes, but otherwise it has been flawless to the point we may just move it into the bedroom when it comes time to upgrade as it doesn't look like dying any time soon. Picture quality, once calibrated, is exceptional.