Just now, Upfront said:
3 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:
One just was stuck in an awkward angle and bent enough to let about half of the swivel bearings out of the gap, is only $9 to replace, it's a bit bent. Otherwise today fixed a couple of minor mistakes and both cabs should be back in here by weeks end, will get on with another project

At least you'll have the week off then!

Nah, get cracking tomorrow night. Amplifier stands, that won't take long, only a day or 2 in that. fairly well ready to go on it also

IMG_2315.JPG

On 22/02/2018 at 11:05 AM, Auracle said:

5a8e0793c5a8b_BillDart.jpg.c9befaef83845475faee84a13eaeb3d2.jpg

Vale Bill Dart: 29/7/1954 - 16/2/2018

A true unsung pioneer in the Australian professional audio scene.

He will be sadly missed. RIP

R.I.P. Bill Vale Dart

Well almost finished, discussing the last few trims to be added 

just lovely

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

front face of both (one edge tape to unpick) trim in 75mm on mesh front, with fold over as a drip line, particularly along the top edge

@Upfront might be interested in the winter clothes for the Twins System

Edited by Guest

just lovely
[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention] might be interested in the winter clothes for the Twins System
Looks good Matt. So Mesh in front and waterproof in the back?

46 minutes ago, Upfront said:
1 hour ago, 125dBmonster said:

just lovely
[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention] might be interested in the winter clothes for the Twins System

Looks good Matt. So Mesh in front and waterproof in the back?

Yes Linc, mesh with a drip line around, via a 75mm folded over surround that will actually sew over the mesh. Waterproof material is rubber one side and canvas bonded together, quite tough and hardy

That mesh is really tough stuff, used on gravel trailers to cover the load normally, so has to be absurdly resistant to abrasion and continuous flexing.

Horns get a double surround, one in front of the mesh one behind, which is installed

The Twin Cover has to have the edge tape removed to finish that surround or doubled up with another

over $1K in that job for the 4 pieces

1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

You took the Mountains to Mohammed?

Hope you told them their shed needs re-purposing?

Well done

Cheers Brian, icing on the cake Maate

Yes Linc, mesh with a drip line around, via a 75mm folded over surround that will actually sew over the mesh. Waterproof material is rubber one side and canvas bonded together, quite tough and hardy
That mesh is really tough stuff, used on gravel trailers to cover the load normally, so has to be absurdly resistant to abrasion and continuous flexing.

Horns get a double surround, one in front of the mesh one behind, which is installed

The Twin Cover has to have the edge tape removed to finish that surround or doubled up with another

I know the stuff your talking about. Your never going to have to buy another set thats for sure. Money well spent.

2 minutes ago, Upfront said:
14 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Read more  

I know the stuff your talking about. Your never going to have to buy another set thats for sure. Money well spent.

(quietly Man Hugged the Upholsterer who appreciates people who pay cash don't ask for discounts  and love his work)

Really very happy with this project

(quietly Man Hugged the Upholsterer who appreciates people who pay cash don't ask for discounts  and love his work)

Nice when people do good work on something you love dearly.

1 hour ago, Upfront said:
1 hour ago, 125dBmonster said:

Nice when people do good work on something you love dearly.

To be honest Linc, I love all the Blokes dearly that have been involved in this project in whatever way and not embarrassed to say

It's one thing to love a project, it's another thing to be able to share, involve and be part of a  group with  common interest and to me the connection is far more valuable than the speakers.

Keep on

Matt 

Why did I build these speakers ?

So thousands of people can enjoy the Artists and Performers that will use them to portray their performance over decades to come.

Performers + People = Great times (some of the best times)

There is way more to these than "me" that I can assure everyone

First Gig in under 3 weeks, 500 people, 13 performing groups/individuals/ensembles over 6 days of programming 

no generator :) (quite a lot of solar panels and a dang good battery)

Geez, wide eyed for this piece of magic, what a beauty

from what I can work out, made in 1951, would make this Shure Unidyne 556S Super Caridoid Dynamic mic 57 years old 

It looks like it's never seen the light of day. Stolen from the USA

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

from what I can work out, made in 1951, would make this Shure Unidyne 556S Super Caridoid Dynamic mic 57 years old 

IMG_5892.thumb.JPG.a0d48574e7bf66812c7d0f15ad6b3624.JPG
IMG_5893.thumb.JPG.73011054ef0b4ff60b83ccbe211c1fed.JPG
Time to learn to sing Matt!

14 minutes ago, Upfront said:
40 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

IMG_5892.thumb.JPG.a0d48574e7bf66812c7d0f15ad6b3624.JPG
IMG_5893.thumb.JPG.73011054ef0b4ff60b83ccbe211c1fed.JPG

Read more  

Time to learn to sing Matt!

This is an area I can be a gear lover and learn the character of all this gear, very happy to be the Tech at the Gig rather then a performer. When I sing it goes

Check, Test 12, 123, 2 2 2. 

Gosh what a ripper have it under a big light running over  a cotton bud and metho, scrubbing the silver XLR input and where some ownership sticker was removed. Mint

Good excuse to plug it into the Ultimate Preamplifier. Impedance would be comparable on a low impedance setting on the mic, can't hurt anything.

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

Oh my...I never had a mike like that...

Happy to volunteer my vocals...

Apparently it'll make one sound like Elvis 

• 3 weeks later...

It is with great honor that I have been asked to post details of completion for the following threads:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/242308-quick-diy-flex-racks/
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/115789-battery-based-audiophile-beyond/
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/238625-the-twins/

Each thread will have corresponding photos pertaining to the respective DIY project/thread.

Final build thouroughly tested and in action.
backstage.thumb.JPG.3f25ac4065127686044e9cd036dc9f3c.JPG

View from backstage

5ab59afbb4cdf_stagesetup.thumb.jpg.92699b942c2c2a244fa31e37ea9ad823.jpg

front of stage view

t-stack.thumb.JPG.89401b3477d21ca8d644a9621e930773.JPG

Close-ups

horns-rear.thumb.JPG.5b55847a8dc412eb9b75951a13f071f8.JPG

In the nude for photo opp.

horn-tall.thumb.JPG.41f87cd0002305414d0e23a9a3c75314.JPG
Rather imposing up close.

5ab59b4f37442_hornprotection.thumb.jpg.2c64fa4ee7f2baa3b2f46b28ac956708.jpg
True size perspective against ladder. (Your horns should always wear protection when performing)

How do they sound, I hear you say?
In short-
No noise/hum anywhere in the chain.
Crystal clear frequency response. Clean from 35Hz to the limits of your own hearing,  and  L O U D !!!!
I'm sure you could hear it across the ditch. Even the attendees had their dreadlocks unknotted by the dynamic SPLs.

This (IMO) is how all PA systems should sound when it's done right.

Conclusion (for all associated threads)

This build thread/s has been a good read to say the least. But to actually hear the final product used as intended, is something else altogether. All the elements have come together perfectly for this alchemic task in such short amount of time. Yes, you could almost say it was "magic".

And yes, it did actually achieve 125dB as viewed on the RTA (and witnessed by yours truly). Mic was in front of the mixing desk, 8 metres from the speakers, with about 100 live bobbing bodies in between. (hard to catch peaks on a still camera)

So if his avatar name was the aim, then he has definitely achieved what he set out to do. Those that know him personally, will know that he is passionate, and does things with conviction and honesty. The loss of this SNA member is sad and I'm sure he will be missed by many. I hope closure has been achieved by this post, by all parties involved.

Cést La Vie

• Like 3

For Tony:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/125dbmonster.html

Yes, I made it a little more dramatic than necessary, but that was a personal philosophical point of view hinting more at the loss of future input for the benefit of other members.

There is a technical reason for non outright ban, but details were sketchy, so I won't comment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1