Carried on from the DIY Thread. @Upfront @davewantsmoore, @BioBrian @soundbyte @Auracle 

Scope of project is to house 2 pairs of 21" AP neo SD1800w for in field Professional use, but will live in a large room for most of their lives..

Aiming for efficiency of +100dB (for the first watt) which the WinISD simulator seems to agree with same as the Factory Specifications.

Idea is to build a better match to the JBL Cinema 3 way horns than the  18" Eminence Magnum Enclosures (chasing efficiency) +4dB actually for same power or more.

Will be an interesting project, will pop up some photos, simulator results and real time testing when finally at that stage.

Have the materials on the bench, time to start marking out and crack the first can for the day.

MERRY XMAX to the Forum Members

IMG_2119.JPG

4632M-HF.pdf

SD21-1800N4.pdf

Edited by Guest

Carried on from the DIY Thread. [mention=111049]Upfront[/mention] [mention=108814]davewantsmoore[/mention], [mention=135890]BioBrian[/mention] [mention=153397]soundbyte[/mention] [mention=159635]Auracle[/mention] 
Scope of project is to house 2 pairs of 21" AP neo SD1800w for in field Professional use, but will live in a large room for most of their lives..
Aiming for efficiency of +100dB (for the first watt) which the WinISD simulator seems to agree with same as the Factory Specifications.
Idea is to build a better match to the JBL Cinema 3 way horns than the  18" Eminence Magnum Enclosures (chasing efficiency) +4dB actually for same power or more.

Will be an interesting project, will pop up some photos, simulator results and real time testing when finally at that stage.
Have the materials on the bench, time to start marking out and crack the first can for the day.

MERRY XMAX to the Forum Members
IMG_2119.JPG.eb9ab70a6206148003f26da176a4fb58.JPG
4632M-HF.pdf
SD21-1800N4.pdf
Big project mate. Looking forward to hearing the outcome. Get cutting!

Always reward the first cut of many

Simple as a straight edge, couple of clamps and an 18v battery saw to cut all the parts, no cnc or saw bench. Vacuum up as I go.

Router work done as far away from the house as the cord will get me. 

IMG_5694.JPG

Always reward the first cut of many
Simple as a straight edge, couple of clamps and an 18v battery saw to cut all the parts, no cnc or saw bench. Vacuum up as I go.
Router work done as far away from the house as the cord will get me. 
IMG_5694.thumb.JPG.0390fd6b0d3b24bb17791edfb7caa97d.JPG
And some good beer always helps.

7 minutes ago, Hippy said:

These look like they'll be good for new years eve...

They probably won't be going for NYE, but I might get a good run and not stuff up another sheet. (would be a liar if I said I never made a mistake) 

Routing next and laminate together the pieces for each double baffle being 36mm thick.

15 minutes ago, Upfront said:

There seems to be a lack of photos Mattemoji13.png

Fits tight as a ............ 7 to go, must remember to change size at 4, is easy to make a mistake, again :no:

(I should learn how to operate a tape measure) or add 100mm to every cut I do, would be cheaper 

IMG_5700.JPG

16 minutes ago, Upfront said:
26 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:
Fits tight as a ............ 7 to go, must remember to change size at 4, is easy to make a mistake, again :no:
(I should learn how to operate a tape measure) or add 100mm to every cut I do, would be cheaper 
IMG_5700.JPG.7ca388d0ce5d8b214c9cf226285a23de.JPG

Read more  

Tidy. Nice.

Massive would be a better word.

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG.7ca388d0ce5d8b214c9cf226285a23de.JPG IMG_5702.JPG.cb4a0287dc01b89f445157a4f262833e.JPG
Looks good Matt. Same size as the horns is a good idea.

49 minutes ago, Upfront said:
50 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

This wasn't a good idea, park the vac out the door, keep it quieter I will less dust inside (guess where the dust went ?) that cutter blow out is fine, Ill turn over the sheet

I love DIY, you just have to grit the teeth and keep going no matter what, recon it's a good idea to put in all the faf ups as well as the money shots

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

Edited by Guest
because it's Christmas

8 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

You want one of these Matt, to add into the  extraction system. They work a treat :)

https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/accessories/dust-deputy-deluxe-1-c-6kg-35-35-49-cm

Enjoying the build BTW, thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Matt.

Nice idea Matt, cheers.

I despise the mdf but luckily the rest of the enclosures are in ply and solid timber, not so bad.

Trying to decide weather the boxes get a black carpet job on the baffle front, or vinyl.

Baffle framed with timber batten stained black clear coat satin. Satin black texture paint finish. Speaker grill fits inside the baffle timber frame.

Getting things done, seems slow but on the other hand, if it takes all day, let it.

Cutting the vent holes, little trick is to transpose the cuts to the second sheet, saves a lot of time re marking. The go is to clamp exactly 2 pieces together and plunge cut into the second sheet a mm or 2

Trying to work within 1mm, is working nicely.

To get 1 front baffle laminated today would be enough amongst everything else.

:) 

PS those Ryobi 1800w soft start variable speed routers for 147 dollars are a bargain

EDIT first blunder for the day is, having to do some cuts for the ports again as there wasn't allowance made for the 18mm port wall thickness, I considered it practice thankfully no more sheets lost today, yet.

IMG_5708.JPG

Edited by Guest

Getting there, have no doubt in the mind the job as a whole will be 40 hours.

At least it's progressing well today and very accurate as in you could swap or invert the sheets and still come out fine, in the 1 mm tolerance 

tricky but very do able.

Builders bog used very sparingly on this.

Now for the inner baffles :) fronts are done might even get to glue 1 together today which would get me cutting the boxes tomorrow.

(rather do this than paint weatherboards)

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

@Upfront

Black indoor/outdoor carpet in the black and grey or black leather look vinyl for the baffle faces ? any other ideas other than paint or veneer  ?

Anyone ? these are to look smart and tight out as well as inside.

Keen on the vinyl actually as it would look trick with the hardwood trims.

Edited by Guest

[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention]
Black indoor/outdoor carpet in the black and grey or black leather look vinyl for the baffle faces ? any other ideas other than paint or veneer  ?

Anyone ? these are to look smart and tight out as well as inside.
Keen on the vinyl actually as it would look trick with the hardwood trims.
I've used Duratex before with good success. https://cannonsound.com.au/collections/duratex

Cannot help with the finish as I prefer a raw wood finish.

You will need something though.

Do you think it needs to be like the JBL's, or something completely different?

Leather look vinyl might be the go as it should look like the JBL's.