Spider27

Acoustic Diffusion or Absorption?

Hello,

My rear ported speaker has too much bass in my room so just put more space between the wall and speaker. The distance is now 45cm but still have too much bass. I am thinking to put diffuser or absorption but not sure which one would be ideal for this case. I took a quick photo of rear side of speakers and wall for reference.  

The room is 3x4m room and the wall showing on the photo is 4m wall facing window.

Since I am totally new on acoustic treatment, I watched several videos on Youtube and still confused.. Any feedback or suggestion would be greatly helpful. Thank you in advance.  :) 

IMG_1335.JPG

Hi Spider,

You could try some foam placed into the rear port, if you do not have foam some small towels wrapped up.

This may be an inexpensive way to first see if there is a difference before buying more expensive treatment.

JJ

Agreed plug those ports first :thumb: 

Thank you. I totally forgot about the option.... Does anyone know Where can I find foam that would fit this rear port ?  The diameter is 11cm so quite big...

4 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you. I totally forgot about the option.... Does anyone know Where can I find foam that would fit this rear port ?  The diameter is 11cm so quite big...

Have you tried the towels option already did it help?

Foam doesn't need to be anything special but Clark rubber or Bunnings will have something to suit you might have to cut it or roll it into a tube.

1 hour ago, BATMAQN said:

Have you tried the towels option already did it help?

Foam doesn't need to be anything special but Clark rubber or Bunnings will have something to suit you might have to cut it or roll it into a tube.

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Spider,

You could try some foam placed into the rear port, if you do not have foam some small towels wrapped up.

This may be an inexpensive way to first see if there is a difference before buying more expensive treatment.

JJ

Yes, I just filled with face towel rolled tight and plug it in and it definitely helped.  Thank you..  :) Looks quite ugly though. I will try to search for foam that may fit this large port to give a try.  

IMG_1336.JPG

Bass definitely tamed by filled the rear port with tightly rolled towel and now much easier to listen. Only downside is that the sound a bit congested and lost a bit of air and soundstage it used to have without the towel... Maybe, the towel was too tight or dense... :cool:

I've read that paper straws work well filling a port whilst still retaining the sound you are missing with a towel. Maybe a search on the net?

I never been satisfied plugging the port on speakers as you loose the original sound a fair bit as it becomes a closed design with the bass extension reducing by about 10-20hz depending the on the port freq. If you can’t pull speaker more forward another 10-20cm, try lengthening the port inside with an equal diameter tube by about twice or half which will lower the extension and reduce the bass bump or resonance that may have been designed for.  That way it will more or less retain that open sound.

Straws are a vintage method that does the same by retuning the port resonance.

5 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I've read that paper straws work well filling a port whilst still retaining the sound you are missing with a towel. Maybe a search on the net?

Edited by Al.M

2 minutes ago, Al.M said:

I never been satisfied plugging the port on speakers as you loose the sound a fair bit and it becomes a closed design with the bass extension is reducing by about 10-20hz depending the on the port freq design. If you can’t pull more forward say another 10-20cm, try lengthening the port inside with an equal diameter tube by about twice or half which will lower the extension and reduce the bass bump or resonance that may have been designed for. 

Paper straws are a vintage method method that does the same by returning the port resonance.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Do you mean putting same diameter tube towards inner rear port further or extending the rear port towards the wall?

The plastic rear tube port is all the way in so not sure the purpose of putting another tube inside. On the other hand, if it is extending towards wall with extra length of tube connecting from rear port, then it will be even closer to the wall... Have i misunderstood? Sorry...