SONY OLED A1

I have made my mind up that I am going to buy the A1 ( 99% ) after viewing the LG  and Sony it came down to that the up-scaling was better when watching free to air TV , DVD , BLU RAY and Foxtel on the A1 .

My only concern at the moment is the lean back of the A1 when going in stores to see all the demos have been on a low table top or wall mounted , wall mounted for me is not a option 

it has to sit on top of my HiFi table made by SGR the height is 85cm .

Has any one who has a A1 on top of a unit of about this height have any problems with viewing the screen with this tilt back .

I will be seated 3m from the TV and the seat height is 450mm any comments would help me .

Thank you

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, shihan171 said:

I have made my mind up that I am going to buy the A1 ( 99% ) after viewing the LG  and Sony it came down to that the up-scaling was better when watching free to air TV , DVD , BLU RAY and Foxtel on the A1 .

My only concern at the moment is the lean back of the A1 when going in stores to see all the demos have been on a low table top or wall mounted , wall mounted for me is not a option 

it has to sit on top of my HiFi table made by SGR the height is 85cm .

Has any one who has a A1 on top of a unit of about this height have any problems with viewing the screen with this tilt back .

I will be seated 3m from the TV and the seat height is 450mm any comments would help me .

Thank you

Solution LGC7.

I don't think the lean back on the A1 is that significant and if you are keen on it over the C7 (which I decided to go for after serious consideration of the A1) then I reckon it would be fine on your SGR shelf.

Its a great looking TV as well as providing a great picture.

44 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

I don't think the lean back on the A1 is that significant and if you are keen on it over the C7 (which I decided to go for after serious consideration of the A1) then I reckon it would be fine on your SGR shelf.

Its a great looking TV as well as providing a great picture.

lucmor, you didnt consider the pana oled ? i have seen them going very cheap. i know they dont do DV, but then no display has the 10,000 nits capability to do DV in anycase ! 

al - I was thinking about the Panasonic (particularly the EZ1000) and like it's better calibration controls.  But I was lazy and just went for the good online price Myer was offering on the C7 without seeing if anyone could price match the EZ950 to the C7.  The best price I saw on the Panasonic was still $500 more than the C7.

As the TV is for the family room I used the money saved to also get a soundbar on special for the C7. That way its still $600 cheaper than the best price I could get on the A1 and I would suggest I now have better sound than what the A1 could do.

• Like 1

I went ahead and bought the A1 it was $3495 at Harvey Norman and I also had the Sanus Table Top Stand thrown in which made all the difference for me .

I first assembled the A1 with its own stand and as I thought that slight lean back on the height of the unit I placed it on was a slight problem the image was a little bit blurry at the bottom edge of the screen

not all that noticeable but once seen its all ways there .

So I put the A1 on the stand and perfect fit .

Have been watching for a few hours now and the only thing I changed on the settings was set Cinema Pro and all I can say is amazing the best picture on a screen I have ever seen , with more use the image will get better , just using a cheap Blu-Ray player for now later on I will have to buy a 4k player to get all the better image improvement that a Oled TV can bring .

I could have bought a LG Oled for cheaper and had change to buy that 4K player now , the picture quality is exllent good as the Sony ( to my eyes ) but it came down to the upscaling in the Sony when I viewed the same DVD in store on both sets the Sony was better for me .

12 hours ago, shihan171 said:

I went ahead and bought the A1 it was $3495 at Harvey Norman and I also had the Sanus Table Top Stand thrown in which made all the difference for me .

I first assembled the A1 with its own stand and as I thought that slight lean back on the height of the unit I placed it on was a slight problem the image was a little bit blurry at the bottom edge of the screen

not all that noticeable but once seen its all ways there .

So I put the A1 on the stand and perfect fit .

Have been watching for a few hours now and the only thing I changed on the settings was set Cinema Pro and all I can say is amazing the best picture on a screen I have ever seen , with more use the image will get better , just using a cheap Blu-Ray player for now later on I will have to buy a 4k player to get all the better image improvement that a Oled TV can bring .

I could have bought a LG Oled for cheaper and had change to buy that 4K player now , the picture quality is exllent good as the Sony ( to my eyes ) but it came down to the upscaling in the Sony when I viewed the same DVD in store on both sets the Sony was better for me .

Wrong choice. Also if you didn't use your own player and cables in store to make your assessment you cant get a true indication.

3 hours ago, bigzee3 said:

Wrong choice. Also if you didn't use your own player and cables in store to make your assessment you cant get a true indication.

Wrong answer.

shihan171 made their OWN choice as to which TV they preferred based on their own requirements. You're entitled to have your opinion and can make your own choice, but to tell someone they flatly made the wrong choice is simply rude and obnoxious.

The Sony is an excellent TV and as noted by shihan, has better upscaling of SD content.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Wrong answer.

shihan171 made their OWN choice as to which TV they preferred based on their own requirements. You're entitled to have your opinion and can make your own choice, but to tell someone they flatly made the wrong choice is simply rude and obnoxious.

The Sony is an excellent TV and as noted by shihan, has better upscaling of SD content.

+1

Also not sure why testing on a common player with the same settings etc to test upscaling is not a valid way to test processing but I am probably ignorant of something.

The A1 is a great set, as it appears all the 2017 OLEDs are, it's just a matter of determining what aspects/features are most important to you. 

1 hour ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Wrong answer.

Rude and obnoxious is your opinion and a bit harsh. I can only assume you are Sony owner to be upset like that. Id be interested in your proof regarding upscaling besides looking at the TVs on the shop floor. Like I said unless you hook it all up as you would at home you wont get the true results. In the end its everyone's choice even though I say its the wrong choice.  

1 minute ago, lucmor444 said:

What set would you recommend bigzee3?

I would say the LG Oleds. But if upscaling is crucial for someone and the Sony provides that better than the LG then that's all that counts for that particular buyer . But overall performance I think LG takes it over the Sony.   

• Like 1

i had a peep while in jb the other day, taking advantage of the sales. to be honest guys is there really anything in it ? sony, LG pana. heck perhaps from calibration ability and dvd processing not much else ? 

the only toss up for me would be 55 or 65 ? reality is i have a projector screen drop down for main show and projector screen  would be still 50% larger than the 65 ! . so dont specifically think need 65" but in some ways ... way prices have dropped in TVs so much you'd think might as well buy the 65

gosh the pana was THE most expensive i thought wiht the EZ1000 which is only available in 65" though. best picture ? hard to say in JB  ! with them all displaying different maker supplied demo loops. gone are the days of TVs playing fta...whcih was always I thought the best torture test and could see how each handled. we dont have that luxury of late.

29 minutes ago, bigzee3 said:

Rude and obnoxious is your opinion and a bit harsh. I can only assume you are Sony owner to be upset like that. Id be interested in your proof regarding upscaling besides looking at the TVs on the shop floor. Like I said unless you hook it all up as you would at home you wont get the true results. In the end its everyone's choice even though I say its the wrong choice.  

Not a Sony owner, never have been actually.

I've highlighted the part of your post that is actually relevant.

Agree that you can't make a judgement just by watching what is displayed at a retailer.  You need to be able check/tweak the settings to get some type of parity (still very difficult) and test with a common source such as fta. That is why reputable reviews have benefit to a potential purchaser to combine with your own judgement.  Even the EZ1000 has dropped significantly in price in readiness for the new 2018 models.  I went 65 because bigger is better for me (still a long way from my 140" projector screen) but it appears the 55 Oleders are the sweet spot for pricing and better screen uniformity etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

Agree that you can't make a judgement just by watching what is displayed at a retailer.  You need to be able check/tweak the settings to get some type of parity (still very difficult) and test with a common source such as fta. That is why reputable reviews have benefit to a potential purchaser to combine with your own judgement.  Even the EZ1000 has dropped significantly in price in readiness for the new 2018 models.  I went 65 because bigger is better for me (still a long way from my 140" projector screen) but it appears the 55 Oleders are the sweet spot for pricing and better screen uniformity etc.

I guess I've never been to concerned with fta as long as it performed for 1080P and UHD to its highest standard. But that's just me so for my needs I guess the LG Oled is the way to go.