Yamaha WXC-50 with Dynaudio Excite X14A

Guest jakeyb77
22 minutes ago, What Me? said:

How do you connect the WXC to your laptop to utilise the Tidal Masters and will it decode the masters?

I haven’t tried to connect it. I only know that MusicCast and Airplay won’t play that high resolution. I have two choices. Move to something like a Bluesound or put up with the limitations. But I’m not that savvy on digital as others here 

I connected the WXC via optical in to my Esoteric DV60 optical out and the sou d definitely improved and the sound more defined In the mid-hi and had a sense of more open air.

Working well so far. Will try some concert DVD's tonight.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. 

Question. I have a WXC50 which I think is a great net player, however if say I wanted to upgrade the DAC part of it buy purchasing an external DAC like the Klein DAC III (with s/pdif input) will the Yamaha’s optical just pass through direct 0’s & 1’s via optical out to the external DAC or will it still be influenced by the Yamaha’s own dsp etc. first?

Basicly, can the WXC50 be used an a transport for the Klein DAC?

Cheers. 

EDIT: Haha, not sure how I managed to miss the reply right above mine, but I guess that may answer my question. Sorry. 

Edited by reeza78

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

i have been thinking about upgrading from my wXC-50 to a Bluesound node 2i.

i would be using the node 2i as a streamer and DAC, do not plan to use a separate DAC.

based on the above, is it worth upgrading, is the quality of the node 2i DAC much better than the WXC-50?

I have a trade in offer of $250 for the WXC-50, and would be out of pocket about $750 if I buy the node 2i at retail $999.

Would like to get your opinion/advise

Edited by Ozflyer
Typo

While on the subject; I’m thinking of moving from my WXC50 to a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 or even a V1. Do you think this would be a significant upgrade, and more in the SQ area of things?

Cheers. 

• 1 month later...

Hi......bumping up an old thread.

Any thoughts on using the WXC-50 as a pure transport for streaming. I have active speakers with built-in DAC that accepts digital-in. Was looking for a streamer as a pure transport to move my flac files (mostly CD rips on External HDD) as well as play spotify (for the missus). How would you rate the WXC as a pure transport compared to the likes of Bluesound 2 or Denon Heos? I am guessing that since the internal DAC does not get called into play, the differences should be minimal, and everything boils down to the app from a user experience point

The WXC is by far the cheapest of the three at this point. Would appreciate any thoughts on the WXC vs other similar streamers from a pure transport perspective

Thanks

P.S - I have no requirements for MQA at this stage if that is a consideration. My hi-res collection is also minimal, and is limited to 24/96

Edited by anandpkumar

• 1 year later...
On 12/06/2018 at 8:03 AM, jeromelang said:

Remember to switch to pre-amp mode, use the MusicCast app to change the speaker type from default [bookshelf] size to [Floorstand] size. Then switch back to player mode. 

This is to bypass the stupid and totally unnecessary high pass filter.

I believe that player mode and pre-amp mode use completely different circuits so the fact that in player mode you dont have the option to shoose speaker type means that no such filter is applied.

My question is why there are two different DACa inside WXC-50 which DAC goes where.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Pavlosk said:

I believe that player mode and pre-amp mode use completely different circuits so the fact that in player mode you dont have the option to shoose speaker type means that no such filter is applied.

My question is why there are two different DACa inside WXC-50 which DAC goes where.

Thank you.

If the resultant differences weren't that freaking audible, I won't even have bothered to bring it up here. 

I've done it for 5-6 units and all their owners feel that the extra efforts to make the setting changes is worth it.

On 17/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, jeromelang said:

If the resultant differences weren't that freaking audible, I won't even have bothered to bring it up here. 

I've done it for 5-6 units and all their owners feel that the extra efforts to make the setting changes is worth it.

OK, thanks for your answer.

As you seem to know a lot about the WXC-50, I'd like to ask you if you know why there are two DACs inside it and what is each one of it used for.