Yamaha WXC-50 with Dynaudio Excite X14A

Hi everyone, does anyone have experience with the Yamaha WXC-50 at all? It seems to fit the bill as a preamp and/DAC/streamer for my system with a pair of Dynaudio Excite X14A, but I'm not sure whether it will be of similar quality to be doing the Dynaudio's justice. Please share experiences and opinions. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

No many posts on SNA on the X14A. How did you go law18 with finding a preamp for this active speaker?

I'm downsizing as well (due to time constraints) and have ordered a pair of X14A that I'll pick up this weekend.

After much reading elsewhere, I just purchased the WXC-50, it should arrive early next week, so I'll update this thread then of my impressions regarding its suitability.

I hope you like your X14A's as much as I do, they are all I hoped they would be and more, they suit what I wanted perfectly. In the time being they are being played with a 2017 MacBook Pro Touchbar, which actually doesn't sound too bad, though I am expecting (hoping) the Yamaha to be markedly better. 

Just hooked mine up this morning. Fresh out of the box it’s very good already. I’m driving it from my Conrad Johnson ET3SE pre amp.

If the X14A continue this path, I’ll have to seriously consider the 200XD in a few years when the kids are more grown and I can get back to HiFi.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone researching the Yamaha WXC-50... I would say it is good but that it has some annoying habits. Sound is fine, with Spotify Connect it is good and with FLAC files played from USB excellent. Personally I liked the sound from my old USB DAC better, I feel like it was less coloured, but I suspect this comes down to taste and in any case it is still good.The control app is okay, it is neither exciting nor difficult to navigate. The flaws I find are in its networking capabilities. I run audio to it from phone, tablet and laptop. If I turn any one of the devices on the unit wakes from standby, you can turn it off again through the app but nearly every time I turn around it has turned itself on again. I have started to leave it unplugged when I don't need it. If I am listening to podcasts via bluetooth on phone or tablet and I turn on my computer it over rides the connection and the podcast stops. To stop this I have to disable the bluetooth audio connection through the computer. Audio also goes out of sync and occasionally jitters when I have my laptop hooked to my projector and send audio through bluetooth. I had a lot of trouble in having to set up my networks repeatedly earlier on, it turned out to be due to my having two networks sent out by my router, all devices have to be on the same network or they will work for a while and then lose each other. Of course having all my devices on one network slows down speeds if I am trying to do more than one thing at a time. I got a very good deal on my unit, it is cheaper than most of its competition and it does do what I need it to do just in a fiddly slightly annoying way.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your opinion 'The Gog'. I have experienced similar issues and am considering having the WXC-50 repaired under warranty as Bluetooth flat out refuses to work on any device I attempt to connect it to. The network works intermittently with my MacBook Pro though is largely fine with my Samsung S7, Bluetooth was the most reliable means of connection without input lag through changing the volume or general cut outs, but now it doesn't work at all and the unit is only two months old. 

No need to be formal here please, call me Gog.  I'm interested to hear whether they can 'fix' the WXC or whether they just blame you for not being able to properly use their flawed tech. Please do keep us updated on your communication with Yamaha. At this point if I knew I could return it I'd probably consider shelling out for a Bluesound Node. 

Bebop and Jeromelang... How are you guys going with your WXCs

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

How do you use the WXC-50 without the preamp on a integrated amp?

Do you use the preamp output on the wxc and chose player mode then connect to the mains in on the integrated amp? I assume this mode would allow me to use the volume dial on the integrated amp?

I prefer to let the amp do the volume if possible. I would thought the aux out from the wxc then connect to the line in on the integrated amp because it has no digital in. But now I am a bit confused with the wxc options.

Yeah just use it in player mode and it is like any other component connected through line in to an integrated amp. It can be an infuriating piece of equipment but it does do the things it is made to do... Good luck with it

• Like 2

Remember to switch to pre-amp mode, use the MusicCast app to change the speaker type from default [bookshelf] size to [Floorstand] size. Then switch back to player mode. 

This is to bypass the stupid and totally unnecessary high pass filter.

6 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Remember to switch to pre-amp mode, use the MusicCast app to change the speaker type from default [bookshelf] size to [Floorstand] size. Then switch back to player mode. 

This is to bypass the stupid and totally unnecessary high pass filter.

I am taking the above is for  floor standing speakers otherwise if you have bookshelf then the default can be left as is?

23 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Always use the pre-out. Fuller resolution, and should sound better. 

What you said about the pre-out is what also the manual has indicated to connect to other amps as a player mode, thanks for confirming.

2 hours ago, Nhuhoai said:

I am taking the above is for  floor standing speakers otherwise if you have bookshelf then the default can be left as is?

Even if you are only using bandwidth-limited bookshelf speakers, applying additional electronic circuits to filter out lower bass frequencies is never a good thing. 

Makes a difference to entire bandwidth transparencies and top end freq airiness 

Edited by jeromelang

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm hoping that the WXC-50 is a precursor to a bunch of devices that act as digital pre-amps that can support both (volume controlled) digital outputs - all this being perfect for those active speakers with digital inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys experience Music Cast App connection not stable? I tend to get error code -201 with connections not established properly mostly on Tidal.

My connection is wireless and my router is in the same room.

I now have 2 WXC50. At home and office. No problem at home, but plenty of issues with the office unit. When I switch those 2 units into different locations same problem... Our IT people is a bunch of useless idiots! 

• 3 months later...

I like the fact that the WXC-50 has USB Out which is missing on my Cambridge CXN which I am considering selling. My plan is to connect the network streamer to a high quality external DAC such as the Chord Qutest or Gieseler Fein DAC - my understanding is that USB is the best option for connecting these units.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:15 AM, PeteD said:

I like the fact that the WXC-50 has USB Out which is missing on my Cambridge CXN which I am considering selling. My plan is to connect the network streamer to a high quality external DAC such as the Chord Qutest or Gieseler Fein DAC - my understanding is that USB is the best option for connecting these units.

I don't believe it has usb output. Just usb input. I too would like that as an option.

Just now, DdDesign said:

I don't believe it has usb output. Just usb input. I too would like that as an option.

Sorry, yes you're correct the WXC-50 does not have a USB output - I misread the specifications.  I'm really hoping something with plenty of features such as Spotify/Tidal/internet radio, USB Out and doesn't cost an arm and a leg comes along soon.

I reckon something like the Bluesound Node 2 with USB Out would suit me perfectly. I want USB Out - no more compromises!

• Like 1

On 03/10/2018 at 6:34 PM, PeteD said:

Sorry, yes you're correct the WXC-50 does not have a USB output - I misread the specifications.  I'm really hoping something with plenty of features such as Spotify/Tidal/internet radio, USB Out and doesn't cost an arm and a leg comes along soon.

I reckon something like the Bluesound Node 2 with USB Out would suit me perfectly. I want USB Out - no more compromises!

Considering digital/wireless audio is the future for the majority, I'm surprised there aren't more options out there. For now the WXC-50 will have to do, for me at least. It does work quite well for the price, I recently switched to Tidal and I have to say, the 'Hi-Fi' streaming option sounds noticeably better than Spotify, CD like as described and a tad louder/cleaner. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
On 10/10/2018 at 5:56 PM, law18 said:

Considering digital/wireless audio is the future for the majority, I'm surprised there aren't more options out there. For now the WXC-50 will have to do, for me at least. It does work quite well for the price, I recently switched to Tidal and I have to say, the 'Hi-Fi' streaming option sounds noticeably better than Spotify, CD like as described and a tad louder/cleaner. 

Is there a way to get the WXC-50 to play Tidal higher than CD rate? You can only play master via the desktop Tidal as far as I know.