Sign in to follow this  
WaveR

How to achieve correct HDR output on a JVC projector

Hi all,

Just started to get 4K running in my system, as a newbie in this area, I would like to get your advice on how to output HDR correctly.

When playing 4K UHD discs, I cannot seem to get correct HDR on my projector, picture turns very dark and reddish when projector is set to HDR.

Picture looks fine when in Cinema mode though. Also, noticed that HDR is ok when watching Netflix via Apple TV 4K although, I noticed it's a little dark.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Edited by WaveR

did you make sure disc has hdr encoding? my jvc automatically selects hdr output mode. If non hdr input it looks very odd. With HDR content, hdr projection looks fantastic.

On 20/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, WaveR said:

Hi all,

Just started to get 4K running in my system, as a newbie in this area, I would like to get your advice on how to output HDR correctly.

When playing 4K UHD discs, I cannot seem to get correct HDR on my projector, picture turns very dark and reddish when projector is set to HDR.

Picture looks fine when in Cinema mode though. Also, noticed that HDR is ok when watching Netflix via Apple TV 4K although, I noticed it's a little dark.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

which jvc do you have ? 

you do need to setup for HDR. whether auto selects or not just need to make sure the right colour space is selected and that mode is properly setup. if you have a X5000,7000,9000 ive got some basic directions here, even jvcs setting will get you close but a bit of optimisation is suggested. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=1632336

Thanks @:) al and @audible1

I’ve got the Panasonic ub900->denon x7200-> jvc x5900. I’ll have a read on that thread Al.

Hi @WaveR,

Along with the thread  @:) al has linked above, have a look at another thread from September:

From my limited knowledge of the Xx900 series, it looks like they have markedly improved the tone mapping of HDR content from the Xx000 series ( Al and I have the X7000), where the JVC defaulted to gamma D which produced a very dark image.

In the JVC Auto cal thread you'll see I talk a fair bit about custom Gamma curve creation using an application developed by Arve.

According to @Javs the Arve curves are still slightly better than the new curves introduced with the new series , but he has much more experience with these models, so hopefully he can have some input here to assist you.

At the end of the day, 4k/UHD/HDR is far from "plug and play" for us PJ owners, but with a little bit of effort it can produce some great images.

PS be mindful that if you accidentally play a BR disc using 4k/UHD/HDR settings and colour space ( BT2020) it will look pretty over saturated, dark and have a red tinge. ( Just saying,:), you wouldn't be the first to load a BR thinking it was 4k)

Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck.

Thanks @IMDave. That might be it! I might have played a BR disc when I noticed the over saturation in HDR ;-). With 4k hdr sources though, I find the picture quite dark in HDR, hopefully will be fixed once I’ve played around with the PJ settings

@WaveR Did you end up getting your HDR settings sorted? I also have an x5900 and the HDR image is quite dark and flat.

Non HDR content looks amazing which is why it's so noticeable how flat the HDR image is. 

I've done a few auto-calibrations with a Spyder 5 Pro to the HDR picture and BT.2020 colour profile and am playing 4k HDR content from a 4k ATV (iTunes + Netflix) and a PC with 4K HDR blu-rays.

Auto-cal isn't working and most threads I've found refer to the older 5000, 7000 series so am at a bit of a loss. 

24 minutes ago, wippetgood said:

Did you end up getting your HDR settings sorted? I also have an x5900 and the HDR image is quite dark and flat.

Non HDR content looks amazing which is why it's so noticeable how flat the HDR image is. 

have you checked your light output with a light meter at all ? are you achieving in the order of 30FL or 100 nits at a minimum ? it is key you need significant step up from what is needed for SDR ie 12-16FL ~14FL nominal. 

I've done a few auto-calibrations with a Spyder 5 Pro to the HDR picture and BT.2020 colour profile and am playing 4k HDR content from a 4k ATV (iTunes + Netflix) and a PC with 4K HDR blu-rays.

while doing an autocal is ok, it doesnt eliminate the need for very basic setup eg what linked to up above.

Auto-cal isn't working and most threads I've found refer to the older 5000, 7000 series so am at a bit of a loss

keep in mind whether 5000/5500 or 5900 there isnt a great difference in these projectors. bar mostly in firmware. perhaps if lucking out yourself need some help from a professional ? worth considering a professional calibrator :) am sure will have snapped into line :)

I agree with betty boop, best to get a pro to do it. I’m new to PJ scene so just left things as they are, at least until I get some onsite help with people who understands proper PJ set-up.

27 minutes ago, WaveR said:

I agree with betty boop, best to get a pro to do it. I’m new to PJ scene so just left things as they are, at least until I get some onsite help with people who understands proper PJ set-up.

Projectors ... non of them are plug and play. If think they are likely not getting best from them or seen them at best .... A great deal of basics can do self. But if can’t best get help :)

If getting calibrated will go way way beyond basics as well

yes costs but then having invested 1000s it’s small cost in scheme of things ...

Watched "LIfe" in HDR last night as the wife has taken the kids to the inlaws hobby farm, so house to myself. Great movie BTW, but still find it frustrating that even when changing from 4K HDR disc to another 4K HDR disc my X7000 defaults back to D Gamma instead of the custom one my calibrator set up

Hi Blybo 

you need a vertex setup 😉

I live in a regional city (Cairns) so definitely wouldn't pay for anyone up here to do it.

Surely with a Spyder 5 I could get most of the way myself?? Just that the instruction on using auto-cal are pretty terrible and the software doesn't seem to work very well.  Others are taking about custom gamma curves with JAVS too but there's no real 'guide' on what to do or what to change. 

Stuffed if I can work out how to set a custom gamma curve and take measurements using auto-cal.

On 05/07/2019 at 1:03 PM, wippetgood said:

I live in a regional city (Cairns) so definitely wouldn't pay for anyone up here to do it.

Surely with a Spyder 5 I could get most of the way myself?? Just that the instruction on using auto-cal are pretty terrible and the software doesn't seem to work very well.  Others are taking about custom gamma curves with JAVS too but there's no real 'guide' on what to do or what to change. 

Stuffed if I can work out how to set a custom gamma curve and take measurements using auto-cal.

Hi wippet understand the quandary :) there is s link here to auto cal procedure for jvcs. With the loading of curves Javs has had a link in his sig I remember to do this. But no none of this is for everyone even though jvc provide facility :)

re pro calibration. Might be surprised there are often calibrators everywhere ... these guys also do travel ... might be few folks out your ways to take avail ...

id post in the calibration sub forum as a call out, if haven’t already :) might be someone in your neck of woods that can help even if not a pro calibrator :) 

On 05/07/2019 at 12:27 PM, muriwai said:

Hi Blybo 

you need a vertex setup 😉

???

1 hour ago, blybo said:

???

HD fury vertex :) if you want auto switching ...