SOLD: AM RT-1 Preamplifier.

SOLD

Item: AM RT-1 preamplifier
Price: $3750.00
Item Condition: Like new.
Reason for selling: No longer required.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Audio Music RT-1 pre amp in excellent condition Two box design with twin transformer volume controls and valve amplification. One look at this pre and at the standard of construction should convince anyone of its inherent quality and the audio performance leaves nothing to be desired. Please see Osborn Loudspeakers web site for pictures and all information. There are also great reviews on the net. I have been using this preamp in conjunction with my AM-833S monoblocks but no longer require it in my system as I have a Cd player that incorporates an inbuilt pre amp. This item was purchased from the local importer.

Pictures:

DSCN4748[1].JPG

DSCN4749[1].JPG

Edited by daviddsailor1
Spelling.

Guest scumbag
Just now, pulinap said:

Some nice internals.....

DSC00235.thumb.JPG.4b612004fa39d2f0f032981bc6298b76.JPG

DSC00245.thumb.JPG.dc1fc4c81fdf289f1e638bcd5213d172.JPG

This machine is the "biz". The standard of build makes most high end gear look crappy!

4 minutes ago, scumbag said:

This machine is the "biz". The standard of build makes most high end gear look crappy!

yes..quoting Greg Osborne  who sells both AM and CAT...

"The RT-2 is clearly better than the CAT Legend ($24,000) which is widely considered the Worlds  best pre. It makes it very hard for me to sell CATs...."

....and they are made in Republic of China.....:)

@Tubularbells

I am not sure if this is 'real' balanced on the outputs.

Regardless, buy this and if it isn't then just ditch the ARs for something better.

I have heard this pre and it sounds awesome!  :thumb:  I reckon David is crazy parting with it.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag

They are true balanced end to end.

"The remarkable level of performance has been achieved with an all new audio and power supply circuit design. This new audio circuit is all tube, Class-A, with zero feedback, utilizing a total of four long-life tubes (2 6H30 as the drivers and 2 6922 as the amplifiers); and furthermore, it is a truly balanced circuit design in both the input and output stage, with the support of 2 volume control transformers. "

The 6H30 are the same tubes used in the ARC gear - very long life, low noise, low microphony. The 6922 are well regarded and they can be rolled quite easily.

Edited by scumbag
error on Osborne website

Thanks Mark.

@Tubularbells again

Beg, borrow, steal from under the Chistmas Tree if need be, but this IS what you want!  :party

It will run the AR's perfect and you can sell the pre and the Jensen converter that you currently use.

33 minutes ago, scumbag said:

They are true balanced end to end.

"The remarkable level of performance has been achieved with an all new audio and power supply circuit design. This new audio circuit is all tube, Class-A, with zero feedback, utilizing a total of four long-life tubes (2 6H30 as the drivers and 2 6922 as the amplifiers); and furthermore, it is a truly balanced circuit design in both the input and output stage, with the support of 2 volume control transformers. "

The 6H30 are the same tubes used in the ARC gear - very long life, low noise, low microphony. The 6922 are well regarded and they can be rolled quite easily.

I don't know where you quoted this from, however in 6moons review it said this is not balanced.

This circuit is not truly balanced as that would entail four attenuation transformers. Fang claims that the sound is better single-ended so that's what he went with.

"The balanced sockets are a mere convenience to increase connectivity options. The loss of the double output connections is due to Fang thinking them to be unnecessary plus the unit is physically smaller than the StereoKnight had been to create a lack of back panel space. Some of my customers have heard this preamp and say exactly the same as you. Although enthralled by the sound they need a remote, a display for volume level and markings for the input selector. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiomusic/2.html

Further evidence is the direct shorting on the RCA and XLR output socket as you see in the photo.

That said, this amp is superbly designed that balanced not necessarily improve sound quality.

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Absolutely superb preamp which has seen off a few well known pre’s in my system with out raising an eyelid. Really exceptional for the price. Highly recommended

Hey Max,

Wondering if you would shed some light on what pre's this beat in your system?

Cheers.

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, hotJ said:

I don't know where you quoted this from, however in 6moons review it said this is not balanced.

This circuit is not truly balanced as that would entail four attenuation transformers. Fang claims that the sound is better single-ended so that's what he went with.

"The balanced sockets are a mere convenience to increase connectivity options. The loss of the double output connections is due to Fang thinking them to be unnecessary plus the unit is physically smaller than the StereoKnight had been to create a lack of back panel space. Some of my customers have heard this preamp and say exactly the same as you. Although enthralled by the sound they need a remote, a display for volume level and markings for the input selector. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiomusic/2.html

Further evidence is the direct shorting on the RCA and XLR output socket as you see in the photo.

That said, this amp is superbly designed that balanced not necessarily improve sound quality.

Something fishie going on here. I got that copy from the Osborne website but when I look up the actual manufacturer's website I get this:
"and furthermore, it is a true dual mono circuit design in both the input and output stages, with the support of two volume control transformers".

So Osborne needs to adjust their copy as it is wrong!

Having said that, in my experience a "non-true" balanced when designed properly can be superior to a single ended design especially if the ancillary gear is set up for balanced operation.

Edited by scumbag

3 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

@Tubularbells

I am not sure if this is 'real' balanced on the outputs.

Regardless, buy this and if it isn't then just ditch the ARs for something better.

Dude your complicating my life as ill then have to buy a separate phono, cables etc.

Happy with the Modwright but the Audio Research amp can go (and good riddance too!)

1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

the Audio Research amp can go (and good riddance too!)

Oh dear...you definitely have not had a good run TB...

If I won Lotto any time soon I would buy you an amp...

My good deed for the year...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob181 said:

Oh dear...you definitely have not had a good run TB...

If I won Lotto any time soon I would buy you an amp...

My good deed for the year...

You sir are a good man!!

I'll look forward to receiving my  new amp from you in the new year :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Dude your complicating my life as ill then have to buy a separate phono, cables etc.

Phonos are easy, cables are easy.  Doug, this pre is a winner!

If I was not chucking my job in end of Jan, I'd be all over it.