Sign in to follow this  
Aussieamps

Audio Grade DC Blocker - HF Filter by Holton Audio

Here is the latest product from Holton Audio.

Holton DC Blocker One AC mains conditioner.

If your amplifier has ever suffered from a noisey buzzing power transformer that seems to come and go depending on the time of day.

Your sound system is most likely suffering from DC on the AC mains.

DC on the mains is generated from a lot of modern appliances like air conditioners, laser printers, switchmode power supplies etc.

its causes clipping of the AC mains waveform and this generates direct current to be formed which is piggy backed on the AC mains.

The result is it saturates power transformers primary winding creating a very loud acoustic buzz which can more often than not be heard across your listening room.

It also robs the power transformer of power and dynamics, which in turn rob the amplifier of sound quality.

The Holton DC blocker is a very high power AC mains conditioner which not only removes the DC from the mains but also filters high frequency noise from the mains as well.

The Holton DC blocker is capable of power devices as high as 2400 watts from your standard Australian GPO without any drop off in power delivery.

The DC blocker also comes with high quality AC volt and AC current meters so you can see exactly what is happening with what you are powering.

The result of using the Holton DC Blocker is restored dynamics and resolution in your sound system and no noisey power transformers.

See holtonprecisionaudio.com to purchase.

DC Blocker One-4.jpg

DC Blocker One-2.jpg

DC Blocker One-1.jpg

DC Blocker One-6.jpg

Bugger, you beat me to it.

I had drawings for a similar device a few years ago. Had a couple of extra features also. It was to be in collaboration with another Melbourne Audio Club member. Permission to use a unique protection circuit from a retired engineer never returned, so the project got moved to the bottom of the pile.

Anyone who is serious about their gear should have (at least) one.

Anyway, congrats! Hope it's a winner for you.

On 12/13/2017 at 2:48 PM, Guest said:

I want one just to see the current gauge jumping to the beat

Nice work @Aussieamps

I have the first version of this, and it works great, But no jumping current meter with my Holton power amp; there's just too much storage capacity to allow current feed to vary, which is of course the way it should be! :-)

Just to revive this thread, I managed to grab the unit that Anthony was using for the HiFi Show last weekend, before he took it back to Tassie with him.

My dear gods, was that an excellent spur-of-the-moment decision.  Frankly, I'm gobsmacked what a difference this unit has made to the clarity of my system. I'm sitting listening to very familiar material & I just keep shaking my head.   Sure, I've played with a series of power treatments so far, and each have made some improvement, but nothing like this bit of kit.  All of a sudden there is so much more 'air' to the sound & the soundstage is open, clear & precise.  This is a real cracker !

Great work @Aussieamps  !  

How does one know if a device like this would be of benefit? Is DC similar to jitter? i.e. you notice it when it's gone?

2 minutes ago, Ugly said:

How does one know if a device like this would be of benefit? Is DC similar to jitter? i.e. you notice it when it's gone?

Correct, you notice it when it has gone. 

I thought my system was sounding pretty sweet & clear.  The blocker removed another layer crud & mud in the sound that I thought I'd dealt with, but obviously not completely.  Removing that muck revealed so much more of the soundstage that was not evident before.  The instruments / voices all of sudden had air and space around them which made them sound more alive & holographically precise . 

Another example for me is that some singers are notoriously bad mumblers, and it can be hard to hear what they are saying / singing on recordings.  Removing the crud in several instances gave much better diction to their vocals and allowed the lyrics & the song to make sense (finally).  That's nice ! 

But having said all of that - that was my experience, and I'm sure it will be system-dependent.

3 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

What's the cost bbn of one of these units?

Hi @AudioGeek

The DC blocker One can be found on my web site holtonprecisionaudio.com the retail cost is $565.00

17 hours ago, lumholtzii said:

Just to revive this thread, I managed to grab the unit that Anthony was using for the HiFi Show last weekend, before he took it back to Tassie with him.

My dear gods, was that an excellent spur-of-the-moment decision.  Frankly, I'm gobsmacked what a difference this unit has made to the clarity of my system. I'm sitting listening to very familiar material & I just keep shaking my head.   Sure, I've played with a series of power treatments so far, and each have made some improvement, but nothing like this bit of kit.  All of a sudden there is so much more 'air' to the sound & the soundstage is open, clear & precise.  This is a real cracker !

Great work @Aussieamps  !  

Do you put the DC blocker before or after the power conditioning? Also what kind of power treatment do you have currently? Passive or active regeneration? 

2 minutes ago, cyberkank said:

Do you put the DC blocker before or after the power conditioning? Also what kind of power treatment do you have currently? Passive or active regeneration? 

@cyberkank

The Holton DC Blocker One gets connected before any other active power conditioning if used, as some conditioners use power isolation transformers that can also suffer from DC on the mains.

I am working on a 3KVA Balanced AC mains isolation unit that will also have the Holton DC Blocker One built in as standard.

This should be out in the next couple of Months just working out the casing for it.

It is a passive unit.

5 hours ago, lumholtzii said:

Correct, you notice it when it has gone. 

I thought my system was sounding pretty sweet & clear.  The blocker removed another layer crud & mud in the sound that I thought I'd dealt with, but obviously not completely.  Removing that muck revealed so much more of the soundstage that was not evident before.  The instruments / voices all of sudden had air and space around them which made them sound more alive & holographically precise . 

Another example for me is that some singers are notoriously bad mumblers, and it can be hard to hear what they are saying / singing on recordings.  Removing the crud in several instances gave much better diction to their vocals and allowed the lyrics & the song to make sense (finally).  That's nice ! 

But having said all of that - that was my experience, and I'm sure it will be system-dependent.

Actually - couldnt have said it better.  I'm using a PS Audio Dectet, coz i need all 8 outlets for my system.  I'm using a DIY blocker made by a forum member (name withheld)  but with similar findings reported here.  

Without a dc blocker, the sound has less resolution and depth.  Only way to know is to try one out and see if there is a difference.

1 minute ago, Aussieamps said:

@cyberkank

The Holton DC Blocker One gets connected before any other active power conditioning if used, as some conditioners use power isolation transformers that can also suffer from DC on the mains.

I am working on a 3KVA Balanced AC mains isolation unit that will also have the Holton DC Blocker One built in as standard.

This should be out in the next couple of Months just working out the casing for it.

It is a passive unit.

Hi Anthony,

Looking forward to this one! :)

3 minutes ago, Aussieamps said:

@cyberkank

It is a passive unit.

Will putting this before a power regenerator have benefit? Always a big believer of power treatment. If this have potential benefit, I am interested. 

Happy to take this offline (via PM). 

32 minutes ago, cyberkank said:

Will putting this before a power regenerator have benefit? Always a big believer of power treatment. If this have potential benefit, I am interested. 

Happy to take this offline (via PM). 

@cyberkank

It could help yes if the power regenerator uses a toroidal power transformer.