Sign in to follow this  
Marc

NEW HIGH END HOME CINEMA FROM MARANTZ

Available this month is the SR7012 Network AV Receiver and AV7704 Multichannel Preamplifier which combines the latest in home cinema technology with the legendary Marantz sound quality we've come to expect.

View the full article

I see the 7704 still only supports 4 atmos height speakers!was hoping they would go to 6,like the new emotiva pre amp !
Will hold onto my 7702 mk2 until I can get 6 overheads

So is the 7012 like  the 7011 for 7:1:4 + 1 more for Auro 

1 hour ago, SandS said:

So is the 7012 like  the 7011 for 7:1:4 + 1 more for Auro 

Its important to distinguish auro3d from atmos Sands as using atmos positioned speakers is a compromise - auro 3d uses a channel based system for its speaker positioning rather than an object steered one :winky: This is where extra processing channels and more dsp horsepower makes a difference like the latest adp sharc processors ; 9.2.4 can have advantages if your room can take it ' ears are more sensitive to panning sounds in front than ceilings :)

The principal difference between Auro and Atmos is the speaker layout. To effectively reproduce the height layer, speakers are placed on the walls above the traditional main and surround locations. Then a single “Voice-of-God” channel is installed on the ceiling in the center of the listening area.

Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D: The Technology and The Reality

Installing an Auro-compatible system is a little different from Dolby Atmos. Since Auro has specific height and overhead layers, speakers must be mounted high on the walls and angled down a bit towards the listening position. Only a single speaker need be installed on the ceiling. This alone will make having both standards in your home theater a compromise. Configuring for one codec means the other won’t sound its best. Auro isn’t designed for multiple ceiling speakers

The consideration is the lack of auro 3d encoded bd's as to how important you place on auro 3d placement and whether you have music encoded discs imho .. 

I you want the equivalent dsp chips that Emo will have the Marantz stablemate from Denon the AVC X8500 is conservatively at least a year away . Certainly other important differences exist too like unison .