Sign in to follow this  
Jeddie

LG OLED C7 or Samsung Q7 / Q9

Hello all,

My last TV purchase was a Sony Bravia 52" back in 2009. We decided we might look at buying a new TV.

Holy crap things have changed since 2009.

Heres my list of requirements;

* min 65 inch

* connect to my home network

* Great picture ( without me having to frig around with it too much. One salesman was talking about paying somebody to calibrate the picture ?? Really?)

* Good audio (is that even possible with these slim screens. My Sony is slim and the audio is good. I do have an amp / floorstanders if the sound is crap)

* Want a good interface for apps eg youtube, Freeview, catch up TV etc. Good interface = easy to navigate.

* I don't to buy something that is gone tomorrow (eg Plasma). Is OLED here to stay? Or is it like 3D which never took off?

Went around to the usual shops and short listed the LG C7 ($4500) or Samsung Q7 ($4000) or Q9 (forgotton the price - think 6K).

Read/heard some bad things about the panasonic. Guy in shop said good picture but poor interface?

Welcome your suggestion /comments?

Most powerful interface, at the moment, would arguably be Sony with their Android-based smarts. They also have some fantastic TVs...X9300E for LCD or A1 for OLED.

LG C7 is arguably the best picture quality, being the most mature OLED manufacturer (Sony and Panasonic both use LG panels in their respective OLED offerings)...but the C7 has had some quality issues (banding) that they are currently trying to ignore.

What is your budget, what are your primary uses for the TV and what other equipment will be connected to it?

Just buy the LG C7 and if you don't like it return it within 7 days for a full refund.That is it done and dusted because i know once you get it home it's not going back!

10 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Most powerful interface, at the moment, would arguably be Sony with their Android-based smarts. They also have some fantastic TVs...X9300E for LCD or A1 for OLED.

LG C7 is arguably the best picture quality, being the most mature OLED manufacturer (Sony and Panasonic both use LG panels in their respective OLED offerings)...but the C7 has had some quality issues (banding) that they are currently trying to ignore.

What is your budget, what are your primary uses for the TV and what other equipment will be connected to it?

Thanks Spyne.

Budget; around 4.5k

Connections; TV will be used for FTA and local movies from my network. No games. Connected to PVR (Beyonwiz).

BTW what is banding? Should I be concerned?

5 hours ago, Jeddie said:

Thanks Spyne.

Budget; around 4.5k

Connections; TV will be used for FTA and local movies from my network. No games. Connected to PVR (Beyonwiz).

BTW what is banding? Should I be concerned?

For examples of the banding 'issues' people are experiencing, see this AVS thread

Sony TVs arguably have the best picture processing for FTA viewing. Unfortunately their OLED sits around $6k for the 65".

LG C7 and Panasonic EZ950U both are regularly on sale around $4.5k.

You could save a few $ and opt for an LCD (LED) TV. Sony X9000E/X9300E, Panasonic EX780A, Samsung Q7. They're (usually) brighter than OLED sets, so suit bright rooms better, but can't quite match the black levels of OLEDs. The VAST majority of people would be perfectly happy with any of these sets though (as far as picture quality goes).

And yes, some people will pay a few hundred $ to have their TVs professionally calibrated. It can (does) give a MASSIVE improvement compared to the factory/default settings.

19 hours ago, Jeddie said:

requirements

... you didn't mention your viewing environment.

If you watch mostly in dark room conditions, an OLED is best.

If you watch with ambient light in the room or even more light during the day, then an LED LCD will perform better due to higher peak brightness being able to combat the ambient light. Perception of black levels is different when there is light in the room too, hence the use of bias lighting in the past for dark room conditions where the panel needs help with blacks.

LED LCD's can be beneficial for HDR too due to the higher peak brightness... but HDR in dark room conditions is better with an OLED IMO as it's bright enough and the blacks are completely black.

JSmith :ninja:

The LG C7 has no problems with bight rooms guys.It goes to 700 nits and the sony 9000e goes to 800 nits so both are very similar in bright conditions.

HDTV Test recommended the Sony 9400E as their best FALD TV for 2017.

In Australia, that is available in 75” - the ZD9 is only available up to 65”. It doesn’t have as many zones as the ZD9 but it has more dynamically backlit zones than the equivalent Samsung and Panasonic FALD.

That said, the LG already has Dolby Vision enabled out of the box. The Sony (all of them A1 ZD9 9400E) are still being promised but no sign of when they would be released.