Gremrock

Do we get too caught up with gear to enjoy the music?

16 hours ago, Citroen said:

Bloody nice for some! ;)

Is that for a job? If so how do I get one?

Mate, I worked for 40years and have been semi-retired for about twelve. I make all my own gear in three systems and fortunately get the chance to enjoy them at length. The wife works through the day so the place to myself. 

Nice part about 100% DIY is I get to enjoy the gear I have made and the music it produces. If there is something wrong with the sound, it's my fault. If it's good I get to pat myself on the back. Hard to reach my back these days so a big cheesy smile will suffice. 

Here you have to watch out because the Dared M7 is the worst in the basic way I heard, so you may not say because it had no bass.

A slight conclusion can be drawn and it is  that the transformers on it are not good.

Dared m7.jpg

I have the Dared 300B which I think is very good. About to sell it though. I have more amps to make. 

4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have the Dared 300B which I think is very good. About to sell it though. I have more amps to make. 

is it a pre or power or integrated?

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

is it a pre or power or integrated?

Yes a true integrated. At least a two stage preamp section with 6N3s and 6N3 driver stage. Tubes are Shuguang "Electron Tube 300B-98" which they claim are a copy of the Westren Electric 300B. The 300Bs certainly look impressive enough and the amp, sounds fab. But I must sell it. 

A very wise move "But I must sell it.".
Wisely and wisely, I would like to say.
The firm magic eye was fascinating.

Posted (edited)

I try and spend 20% of the time listening to my system and 80% listening to music...works for me because i enjoy maximising what i can get from what i have, tuning my system, rather than just endlessly spending...but i mainly just want to listen to music an chill out.

Edited by JPete9

16 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

I try and spend 20% of the time listening to my system and 80% listening to music...works for me because i enjoy maximising what i can get from what i have, tuning my system, rather than just endlessly spending...but i mainly just want to listen to music an chill out.

The big problem is you get lost between better and different. Different is not better, it's just different. Gear churning is the result.

Posted (edited)

This I believe is on topic if a little different to the course of the discussion.

I have just over 230 vinyl albums and around 300 (I actually haven't counted) CDs. More CDs. My CD player is a fairly modest Primare CD22. Retail $1800.

My turntable/vinyl playback system is a SRM Arezzo, Goldring 2100, Rega 220 arm, Schiit Mani pre amp. Around $2600.

Both sound good to me and I have as much pleasure from either.

The vinyl replay system offers an almost endless avenue to "upgrade" obviously. So I have contemplated gradually upgrading it bit by bit. The first stop was a better cartridge, then perhaps phono amp, then arm. The TT has in itself the ability to have parts upgraded also.

So the orignal plan was a cartridge around the $800 - $1000 mark, a phono stage around the same price point and maybe an arm. I have researched and short listed a few products.

However.

I am still having a whole lot of trouble with new $50 vinyl and second hand $20 to whatever vinyl. A few weeks back I bought my first second hand record for probably 20 years (the last second hand records I was buying were about $5 on a bad day). Not too bad with only a few minor flaws. Tolerable even if I probably could have bought a perfect CD for half the price. I lashed out and bought another last week and it has noticeable scratches. Bin material as far as I am concerned, Ill never play it. I could have also bought a new CD of the same album for $10. Less probably. 

So.

I am very close to ditching my plans and settling on something like a Nagoaka MP150, perhaps a Orign counter weight upgrade for the arm and I'm not sure with the phono amp. As good as my CD is for my ears if I am going to splash a total of $3000 on the vinyl replay and have to pay 4 or 5 times the price for records I may as well splash that on upgrading my CD player and buying $10 CDs..

Edited by crisis

I get the odd bargain but most of my CD's and digital downloads cost well in excess of $10.00.

47 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I get the odd bargain but most of my CD's and digital downloads cost well in excess of $10.00.

There are occasional CDs that are "full" price however my taste results in material that is mostly quite cheap... ;)