Do we get too caught up with gear to enjoy the music?

22 hours ago, Happy said:

Nowadays you just need to pay $30 a month for lossless streaming music the library of which is way bigger and better updated than any individual can possibly dream of.

Which allows you to feel ok with spending more money on gear, if desired.

Can you still play all of that library when you stop paying $30 a month?

• Like 1

Just now, Monk said:

Lol of course not.

If things go so wrong that I can’t afford $30 a month I’m prepared to go cheaper plans on a lower resolution though. Less than half the price I think.

if things go even worse, well there’s always Spotify with ads for free :D

Guest Misterioso
On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Kaynin said:

In regards to getting caught up in the gear, I've found two types of enthusiasts.  Those who love the gear and talk about it with a passion and love for the craftsmanship or value, and then there's those who talk about it as an extension of their penis.

I sincerely hope there is space for a third group because I certainly don't belong to the first group.

24 minutes ago, Happy said:

Lol of course not.

If things go so wrong that I can’t afford $30 a month I’m prepared to go cheaper plans on a lower resolution though. Less than half the price I think.

Hmm, yeah okay.  But what about when they go belly up?

Because I'm pretty sure that no software based service has ever stopped working before.

Just now, Monk said:

Hmm, yeah okay.  But what about when they go belly up?

Because I'm pretty sure that no software based service has ever stopped working before.

Well usually something even better comes up by that stage when it comes to tech stuff ;) 

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Well usually something even better comes up by that stage when it comes to tech stuff ;) 

I was going to try and argue with you.  But uh, yeah.  Good point!

But it does mean whatever you own has to work with it though.  

• Like 1

Just now, Monk said:

I was going to try and argue with you.  But uh, yeah.  Good point!

But it does mean whatever you own has to work with it though.  

Dang man when was the last time buying something new wasn’t fun in this game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Monk said:

So? I can't play CDs I haven't bought, either.

9 hours ago, Satanica said:

What was bought, did not work.

What I notice is that the newer item often tends not to work either in those circumstances and for people who do such.

56 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

If you look at the number of posts in the various forums it’s pretty clear where music ranks compared to gear 

On the other hand, most days are "won" in terms of likes on the forum these days by people posting in the currently spinning threads. Maybe there's a different balance to what you might think...

8 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Yeah, but I can play CDs I've bought after I've paid for them regardless of whether the company I bought them from is still operational?

2 hours ago, Monk said:

Yeah, but I can play CDs I've bought after I've paid for them regardless of whether the company I bought them from is still operational?

Yes you can. 

I've bought CD's, downloads and streamed from Spotify all in the same day. 

• Haha 1

G'day all, here is a photo of all my accumulated phono stages over the past few years!  16 plus or minus one or two others!  What does that say about me?  Regards, Felix.   

DSCF2664.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
9 hours ago, Monk said:

That's true, and I've warned about the losses that streaming companies are making in other threads.

That's no reason to be down on streaming though. It's a reason to continue buying as well. There are others, like supporting the artist who may get a larger royalty from a purchase.

Getting hung up on where music is coming from is worse than getting hung up on gear. This may be a short golden age for accessing music, but a golden age it is.

10 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

What I notice is that the newer item often tends not to work either in those circumstances and for people who do such.

On the other hand, most days are "won" in terms of likes on the forum these days by people posting in the currently spinning threads. Maybe there's a different balance to what you might think...

I still think we are still gear bias. I'm 100% DIY across three systems (I don't make CD players or TTs). Not sure where that places me in the gear/music bias. Some DIY parts have been I severice for many years unchanged. I swap out some components, generally my DIY power amps but also they came stay in play for many months at a time without a swap out. I don't buy any commercial gear I can't make.

To show my music preference I play music 4 hours a day 5 days a week and sit and stare at a blank wall. Serious listening not background music. 

3 hours ago, catman said:

G'day all, here is a photo of all my accumulated phono stages over the past few years!  16 plus or minus one or two others!  What does that say about me?  Regards, Felix.   

I think that you love this hobby and enjoy seeing what a change will make to your listening pleasure of music.

For me while I can still hear ok, I am going to make sure I try lots and lots of combos along the way. :)

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mwhouston said:

To show my music preference I play music 4 hours a day 5 days a week and sit and stare at a blank wall. Serious listening not background music. 

Bloody nice for some! ;)

Is that for a job? If so how do I get one?

14 hours ago, catman said:

DSCF2664.JPG

Which one do you like the best?

Guest Point source
22 hours ago, Happy said:

Lol of course not.

Seriously, there is a LOT of awesome Redbook around, you just have to find it!

2 minutes ago, Point source said:

Seriously, there is a LOT of awesome Redbook around, you just have to find it!

I can’t tell any difference between lossless streaming and redbook sound

But is the quality as good, my so called super duper NBN can’t cope. They run the u beaut cabling along the street then the old crap to the house. That would be like my speaker cable ( kimber 3038) being a tad short so extend length with my old 3 in one speaker string.

On 14 July 2018 at 11:54 PM, mwhouston said:

Just a simple snap of a pretty amp.

image.jpeg

I'm putting this great sounding 300B up for sale tomorrow for $330 with donation to SNA. Get in early and it's yours. In 2009 it sold for about $1K. Condition is 8/10. A few scuffs. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Citroen said:

Bloody nice for some! ;)

Is that for a job? If so how do I get one?

Mate, I worked for 40years and have been semi-retired for about twelve. I make all my own gear in three systems and fortunately get the chance to enjoy them at length. The wife works through the day so the place to myself. 

Nice part about 100% DIY is I get to enjoy the gear I have made and the music it produces. If there is something wrong with the sound, it's my fault. If it's good I get to pat myself on the back. Hard to reach my back these days so a big cheesy smile will suffice. 

• Like 4