Do we get too caught up with gear to enjoy the music?

@13000km  I think you might change your mind if you heard vinyl done correctly, and it doesn't take that much money if things are well thought out.

I have the chance because I have left everything in vinyl.
For some, then I'm going to start a machine but had no room for it.
Ok i enjoyed vinyl time too but got happy when cd came.

May see if I can fit, but it's a difficult upturn.
I have plenty of place but none available.

Cream is a word of power here. More power on apple ... thank you lady.

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, 13000km said:

@13000km  I think you might change your mind if you heard vinyl done correctly, and it doesn't take that much money if things are well thought out.

I have the chance because I have left everything in vinyl.
For some, then I'm going to start a machine but had no room for it.
Ok i enjoyed vinyl time too but got happy when cd came.

May see if I can fit, but it's a difficult upturn.
I have plenty of place but none available.

Cream is a word of power here. More power on apple ... thank you lady.

I was doing both digital and vinyl, but came a point and I had to decide to commit my resources to just one of them, I ended up going vinyl as that seemed the best path, for me at least. Unfortunately I had to sell all of that vinyl side due to finances and now don't listen much, but that's just me.

I believe each can be done very well, or not very well, so comes down to personal choice :thumb:

Edit: if you are happy with digital, stay with it :thumb:

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Eggcup The Daft
2 hours ago, yamaha_man said:

If someone can show me how these expensive paperweights play music I would much appreciate it.

46FA8473-75EA-4D3A-87F3-BD22BC2E34CC.jpeg

Nice vase. So that's where I'm going wrong.

3 hours ago, yamaha_man said:

If someone can show me how these expensive paperweights play music I would much appreciate it.

46FA8473-75EA-4D3A-87F3-BD22BC2E34CC.jpeg

A mobile phone and a 3.5mm to rca plug will have them singing in no time! Will have to split the rca cables to make them reach though. ?

In regards to getting caught up in the gear, I've found two types of enthusiasts.  Those who love the gear and talk about it with a passion and love for the craftsmanship or value, and then there's those who talk about it as an extension of their penis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Iv'e spent a lot more money/time buying records & cd's than on gear,

no point having a flash system without heaps of music to play on it.

Each to his/her own at the end of the day.

Edited by kab

Music is available online so I can handle it. Too much because it was a long time since I checked Amsterdam. There they had broadcast from the deas concert hall which was great!
  Now it's a bit semi-dashy Emmylou Harris but good anyway.
  You must not be poor and high-grade!

On 09/12/2017 at 10:47 PM, Snapper() said:

I never went into 'high end' hi-fi - i'm currently listening to Ben Harper through a restored sansui AU-222 and Yamaha NS-690II. Less than $1k all up. I've had some Osborn, Logan Martins and Duntechs but these have all been passed on. Absolutely loving all manner of coral speakers currently, and i still think my Coral X-VII (which i purchased for $100) are the best sounding speaker i've ever heard. I heard nothing at the hifi show (last year) that inspired me to spend more $. 

The Sui 222 has a relatively high noise floor which doesn't bother me, but i'm sure it would have others screaming :) I'ts such a lovely tubey vintage tone. 

I spent the last 2 years buying and selling any and all manner of amps/speakers and found some absolute gems that are giant killers for the money - just as JP-1, some mid-80's Tannoys, Corals, Yammie 690's, Sansui amps, Canton Karats (etc). 

Anyhoo .. 'Excuse Me' is playing, and coffee getting cold ~ 

Ahhh a man of my own heart...here is my lil sui 222 re-capped...those crappy black plastic switches that finally gave up the ghost after 40 plus years...replaced...the case resprayed to that loverly reddish colour of the high end sui models...the power light indicator replaced with a green led to match the sui green embossed stencil on the face plate...and to top it all off for effect...led green lights under the chassis that come on when the power switch is pressed to play...just a lil night time candy!

She has a lil brother to match with the same mods....tu-555...

All set up as my bedroom system...

Matching Marantz CDP 63 11 K 1 Signature...and bookshelf JBL speakers...

Still looking for maybe another set of smick bs speakers...but for now... :)

20170611_091533-jpg.947680

Edited by BLAH BLAH

On 12/07/2018 at 10:29 PM, 13000km said:

Can there be other factors that affect and make mp3 a bit difficult for the vinyl gang?  

For my part, I have not heard anything from a vinyl that somehow convinced me of its excellence.

Looks like they can be something extra!

Something ridiculous yet !!

Skivspelare.JPG.91a9179ae0664b1d532724a5ef94adbb.JPG

WOW..interesting dust trap!

Those TTs need to come with their own personal cleaner! :)

Edited by BLAH BLAH

Citat:

How loudly we listen to any given recording is yet another factor. This would be easier to deal with if recordings were mastered at a reference volume level and that information was included with the recording, but they're not and it isn't. In determining the "correct" volume for a particular recording, we audiophiles are on our own. I suppose the more obsessive among us could note down their own personal reference levels: the volume level or setting they prefer for each album or tune they listen to. Then again, as system components come and go, there's no practical way of ensuring you playing music at the same level every time.

The volume of sound is of great importance to the experience. For my part I measure it to the small ear.
This is the volume volume that has allowed Dac to be sold on a regular basis. Actually, it only raises the volume and then it gets much better hehe.
  I have a cheap dac but also have a volume control.
Also have a comparative material around bugging me in the form of expensive hifi that others have.
  If you are wrong and believe in it, no one can even bother one's faith.

A lady who bought Meissen on the beautiful street in Mynchen was completely impossible
  to change. I pointed out that it was not porcelain without other ceramics and they would not have done that.

It is probably the same with the necessity of dac in relation to the one in the computer.

Bought a failed Dared 300B and fixed it for $30. There was a lot of labour involved so not as easy as it sounds. 

But I now have a $130 300B with Shuguang Electron tube 300B-98 tubes. A true full integrated amp requiring no premp and with three inputs perfect for me. 

The music comming from this amp and my 100db effcient speakers is truely great. I'm so much enjoying everything playing through this amp. Simple gear and a great sound. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 13000km said:

Citat:

How loudly we listen to any given recording is yet another factor. This would be easier to deal with if recordings were mastered at a reference volume level and that information was included with the recording, but they're not and it isn't. In determining the "correct" volume for a particular recording, we audiophiles are on our own. I suppose the more obsessive among us could note down their own personal reference levels: the volume level or setting they prefer for each album or tune they listen to. Then again, as system components come and go, there's no practical way of ensuring you playing music at the same level every time.

The volume of sound is of great importance to the experience. For my part I measure it to the small ear.
This is the volume volume that has allowed Dac to be sold on a regular basis. Actually, it only raises the volume and then it gets much better hehe.
  I have a cheap dac but also have a volume control.
Also have a comparative material around bugging me in the form of expensive hifi that others have.
  If you are wrong and believe in it, no one can even bother one's faith.

A lady who bought Meissen on the beautiful street in Mynchen was completely impossible
  to change. I pointed out that it was not porcelain without other ceramics and they would not have done that.

It is probably the same with the necessity of dac in relation to the one in the computer.

I'm finding I'm listening a little louder these days. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kab said:

Iv'e spent a lot more money/time buying records & cd's than on gear,

no point having a flash system without heaps of music to play on it.

Each to his/her own at the end of the day.

Nowadays you just need to pay $30 a month for lossless streaming music the library of which is way bigger and better updated than any individual can possibly dream of.

Which allows you to feel ok with spending more money on gear, if desired.

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

Nowadays you just need to pay $30 a month for lossless streaming music the library of which is way bigger and better updated than any individual can possibly dream of.

Which allows you to feel ok with spending more money on gear, if desired.

I stream a lot of free internet radio via my DIY Pi server. But still of the "buy once play many times" gang. 

Just now, mwhouston said:

I stream a lot of free internet radio via my DIY Pi server. But still of the "buy once play many times" gang. 

Nothing stops you from playing the same stuff many times with streaming too. Then again I still do buy vinyl.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

Nothing stops you from playing the same stuff many times with streaming too. Then again I still do buy vinyl.

Same here. Like my vinyl. Pull out the old rock from the 60s, 70s and 80s now and then. For me mainly classical with some Opera.

• Like 1

Does it give the bass as a big amplifier, so there is no problem with this one would think.
The only thing that can be suffering is usually the base.

But then we are so tolerant in the case of bass, how many times is the pure bass and in the amount that is in the game and yet it sounds good.

What was it wrong before it was ....?

8 hours ago, 13000km said:
Does it give the bass as a big amplifier, so there is no problem with this one would think.
The only thing that can be suffering is usually the base.

But then we are so tolerant in the case of bass, how many times is the pure bass and in the amount that is in the game and yet it sounds good.

What was it wrong before it was ....?

I'll  assume we are talking about the Dared. Bass from a SS amp would probaly be more extended and forceful but for me plenty.

The amp had four bulging large filter caps and kept blowing a limiting resistor which fed them. 

Edited by mwhouston