Jump to content

LongtimeListener

Volumio vs Daphile sound

Recommended Posts

Hi greetings to all the unicorn hunters out there from a hunter myself :D,

 

Just sharing my little discovery:

 

Sound from Volumio better than from Daphile :) 

 

I have come across the Volumio (Debian Linux based) OS. I installed it on a USB stick to test it out on my laptop which usually runs Daphile.

With other words, the whole audio chain is exactly the same, just the laptop boots with Volumio instead Daphile.

 

Verdict: The sound is so much clearer and balanced. I always had issues with the balance as the high frequencies were a bit too harsh and the bass was lacking a bit. My CD player running via my DAC always was showing me exactly what I have missed and now with Volumio my laptop seems to have caught up sound wise (see my topic here at the forum).

 

It is so funny as we always talk 0 and 1 but somehow even in the digital chain there are things influencing the sound. Volumio is using MDP as transport and Daphile LVI as far as I understand.

 

Anyway, something to ponder about ;)

 

Cheers

Edited by LongtimeListener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s at times like this that I wish that I had a Babel Fish in my ear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found Daphile not as good also but realtime kernel version was better than the normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, frednork said:

I found Daphile not as good also but realtime kernel version was better than the normal. 

Yes, I used the realtime kernel version and found it very good. However, still I had this little bit harsh sound of the strings which was annoying over the time. Playing the same file via the original CD using the same DAC gave me a more balanced sound. My laptop with Volumio now has caught up there and seems even to be a bit more transparent, too.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when i used these programs i noticed an improvement when i went from Daphile to Snakeoil. i see Snakeoil has been updated recently. great to have options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Interesting. I am back to using Daphile and found it very good and very resolving. I installed the latest Kernel version on my NUC (rather than USB). I tried installing Snakeoil but failed twice. Maybe i should try Volumio based on the op findings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment I run Volumio from the USB only and have Daphile on my laptop installed.

After this weekend good long hearing sessions Volumio is really soundwise much better. The downside, however, is that I have dropouts and clicks, the playlists are not updated on the client computer etc. Generally the GUI is prettier but less functional than Daphile's.

I hope those hickups of Volumio will be gone after installing it properly on the laptop rather than running it completely from the USB... (this is all the x386 version)

 

I will keep you updated...

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t know if the last few posts are serious or if they are extracting the urine. Either way, I have absolutely no idea what language is being used. I do know most of the words, it’s just the order that they’re in that I cannot fathom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

I love Daphile’s simple install, setup options & functionality but found both Vortexbox & JRiver MC sounded considerably better. Sounds like I better give Volumio ago. I have tried it on a Raspberry Pi/I2S/DAC but had lots of problems with clicks & pops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

I really don’t know if the last few posts are serious or if they are extracting the urine. Either way, I have absolutely no idea what language is being used. I do know most of the words, it’s just the order that they’re in that I cannot fathom.

Google is your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I have installed Volumio now on the laptop harddisk and set the buffer back to the factory settings. So far almost no pops/clicks. The client GUI (graphic user interface) is still having issues eg the play button is not functional when having search result listed and other hickups.

I also would love to play from RAM which was so easy in Daphile. However, the sound with Volumio is so much better, that I have to give up on Daphile...

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All, update from my experience with Volumio.

 

Volumio is now installed on my laptop and the audio buffer / buffer before play set to factory settings 4Mb/10% .

There are no clicks/pops anymore and the sound is amazing. I am hooked and play all my music for hours as i am re-/discover all the details...

 

Mind you, Daphile was already fantastic...

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Now Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 3. The sound seems to be even a bit clearer, have to do some listening now...

 

Getting it going was a breeze...

  1. $100 for a Raspberry Pi 3, a power supply, a case to fit it in on the table of the computer shop
  2. Download the Raspberry Pi image of Volumio from their website
  3. Writing the image on a micro SD card
  4. Unpacking RB pi, connecting external USB harddisk with my songs, inserting SD card with Volumio, connecting power, connecting DAC
  5. Power on RB pi boots
  6. Connecting with other computer to Volumio WiFi Hotspot -> Volumio already up and running indexing my songs
  7. Configuring  WiFi so Volumio connects to my router -> after ok it immediatly is connected to my router
  8. I start listening to my music

 

The whole process from step 4 did take less than  10 minutes :D Isn't LINUX a fantastic OS :)

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LongtimeListener said:

Hi All,

 

Now Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 3. The sound seems to be even a bit clearer, have to do some listening now...

 

Getting it going was a breeze...

  1. $100 for a Raspberry Pi 3, a power supply, a case to fit it in on the table of the computer shop
  2. Download the Raspberry Pi image of Volumio from their website
  3. Writing the image on a micro SD card
  4. Unpacking RB pi, connecting external USB harddisk with my songs, inserting SD card with Volumio, connecting power, connecting DAC
  5. Power on RB pi boots
  6. Connecting with other computer to Volumio WiFi Hotspot -> Volumio already up and running indexing my songs
  7. Configuring  WiFi so Volumio connects to my router -> after ok it immediatly is connected to my router
  8. I start listening to my music

 

The whole process from step 4 did take less than  10 minutes :D Isn't LINUX a fantastic OS :)

 

Cheers

nice work .. i just put volumio on a pi 3 with a digi + pro last night . nice easy set up and im very impressed with the sound .  running it to my klein 2 dac.

im using an ifi power adapter but my linear power suppy comes monday .

what sound card hat you using on yours ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boomboy said:

nice work .. i just put volumio on a pi 3 with a digi + pro last night . nice easy set up and im very impressed with the sound .  running it to my klein 2 dac.

im using an ifi power adapter but my linear power suppy comes monday .

what sound card hat you using on yours ?

not  sure about the soundcard on the pi, I send the data straight to the DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put volumio on a Pi2 with HiFiBerry DAC+ nothing, even my router couldn't see it via ethernet cable :(

no idea what to do next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Batty said:

I put volumio on a Pi2 with HiFiBerry DAC+ nothing, even my router couldn't see it via ethernet cable :(

no idea what to do next.

Make sure:

  1. Volumio is really booted up, eg. do you see the green LED flashing when switching the Pi on?
  2. Is the SD card ok?
  3. Make sure the ethernet cable is not broken, eg try different sockets on your router, and/or change to a another ethernet cable
  4. Reset the router, there have been reports that after a reset the Pi was able to get an ip

    If still problems
     
  5. get a new volumio image from their website and try step 1 to 4 again.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it up and running, but now it doesn't recognise much of the content of my NAS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Batty said:

Got it up and running, but now it doesn't recognise much of the content of my NAS.

depending on how much is on the nas it may take a while to index it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It stops indexing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory, (as its been a while since I used volumio) even though it appears to stop it hasnt , come back tomorrow and see if it is all there especially if you have 10's of gigs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@LongtimeListener Thanks for sharing your experience. Had Volumio running via USB and there is a positive change on sq. If i would  summarise - all freq are clearer, sound pops more and can discern more details. Would do more critical listening over time but it does step up from Daphile (which i enjoyed over JRiver MC).

Does it sound better when installed on your laptop than on USB?

@Batty I had lots of trouble getting my NAS working. After lots of googling, got it working. NFS is troublesome. It finally worked via cifs. Make sure SMB/cifs is enabled in your NAS (test by accessing the music folder via windows pc using the NAS ip); also enter your username/password .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×