Sign in to follow this  
perth_artist

AR turntable modifications

Hi Im looking for some help with some modifications to my Ar77xb turntable.  It is very similar to the AR XA turntable, so mods work for both.

If you have experience or know of someone that does mods like mass loading, spring upgrades or tonearm upgrades please let me know.

Thanks guys

No, you buy it direct and fit it yourself.  No need to send the turntable.

It's not very difficult but you could get someone in Perth to fit and fine tune it. Some of the mods, like fitting the better motor and pulley, might require some handyman skills but the basic mods are pretty simple to fit.

He has other mods which aren't on his website so best to email him and he'll let you know what he recommends and the cost.

You can make tonnes of changes or just stick to the basic changes, it's up to you how far you want to take it.

Everything has been replaced, the only part remaining from the original is the plinth.

New subplatter and springs, new inner and outer platter including mat, new motor, belt, pulley and outboard power supply etc etc.

That must have cost a fair bit for all those.  I dont know if you can answer this, but which mod/s do you think gave the most improvement....or is too hard to say.

It's all incremental improvement but hard to say which provides the most.

I've had the turntable for over 20 years and gradually spent money on it so it hasn't cost too much. Plus how it sounds compared to the original, or most other turntables, has made it more than worthwhile.

I'd be contacting George Merrill and asking him what he'd recommend on your budget as the first set of mods.

I had an AR XB, it was the first upgrade from cheaper turntables I had, in the 1980's.  Many fond memories of it. 

I had the arm replaced with a Grace 707.  Needed to get the aluminum t-bar machined for the arm to be able to be mounted, fortunately I could get this done at work.  The Grace was a wonderful improvement on the stock arm, and is recommended if you want to keep this turntable.  When I upgraded a friend took the AR, I caught up with him a couple of years ago and he said it's still going strong. 

I didn't do any other mod's.  The guy who installed the Grace arm suggested hot-glue around the edges of the underside of the metal plinth.  I didn't have a glue gun at the time, so never did this mod.

The following link is a detailed restoration of an XA turntable:

http://johnsweather.com/Turntable.html

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

On 12/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, Herbyj said:

Everything has been replaced, the only part remaining from the original is the plinth.

New subplatter and springs, new inner and outer platter including mat, new motor, belt, pulley and outboard power supply etc etc.

This sounds good. More George Merrill info.http://www.tnt-audio.com/intervis/merrill_e.html