Vincent bargain time is here.

On 29/08/2018 at 10:24 PM, initforthemusic said:

@1224 Have you tried both Gain Settings on the SA-94?

I have and it seems to have not made a difference. With -2db of gain headroom applied digitally by ROON, it does not do it. I think the issue lies with the gain/ loudness that is coming off Tidal is maybe clipping the signal to the DAC.  I would like to get the CD to see if it does it also. It perhaps is a compliment to the SA94, that it is so resolving as to a reveal this distortion. Whereas the Primare Pre-32 and Schitt Valhalla do not.

7 minutes ago, 1224 said:

I have and it seems to have not made a difference. With -2db of gain headroom applied digitally by ROON, it does not do it. I think the issue lies with the gain/ loudness that is coming off Tidal is maybe clipping the signal to the DAC.  I would like to get the CD to see if it does it also. It perhaps is a compliment to the SA94, that it is so resolving as to a reveal this distortion. Whereas the Primare Pre-32 and Schitt Valhalla do not.

Good luck.?

• Thanks 1

I emailed Vincent in the fatherland, and they confirmed in their opinion that the 3v output of the 2qute is causing the distortion. 

They said the preamp is 2-2.5v max input voltage.

This would perhaps explain why the gain control on the preamp does nothing. 

So gotta find some way to reduce the voltage from 2 qute.

I know there are gain control rca devices. Not sure if they'd work in actually reducing voltage. 

Might be time to get a Qutest..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hooking up my Vincent SP T-800 monoblocks at the moment to a pair of KEF LS50 and Schitt Freya. First amp i'm trying with the LS50, so i still can't compare yet. But i love the sounds that i'm hearing in my ears. Last night i tried balanced connection using the XLR, and i can feel more details and a bit more bass. Awesome. 

It doesn't sound like the amp is struggling at all with LS50.

On the side note, after using XLR i'm getting a very small noise/distortion, i think it's coming from the tubes mode in Freya. It didn't do that with RCA though.