Vincent bargain time is here.

Just bought one of the amps, SP20 Anniversary power amp.

Apparently it's based on the 331MK but with upgraded parts and some pretty flash VU meters.

Hard to find much info on these, seems like there was only 125 built. 

Haven't been able to get a listen as I live in Qld so obviously not optimum.

Any info on these would be appreciated particularly sound quality.

Thanks 

Paul

Guest thathifiguy
5 hours ago, paulk said:

Just bought one of the amps, SP20 Anniversary power amp.

Apparently it's based on the 331MK but with upgraded parts and some pretty flash VU meters.

Hard to find much info on these, seems like there was only 125 built. 

Haven't been able to get a listen as I live in Qld so obviously not optimum.

Any info on these would be appreciated particularly sound quality.

Thanks 

Paul

I have one too, bit of a collectors item that one. Only 125 made globally.

Just bear in mind, if looking to experiment the replaceable tube is actually a 6N15, not a 6N10 as I recently found out.

The distributors of Vincent gave me a speil on their range particularly their "valve" CD player. He explained how the valve stage adds richness to the sound to which I responded -you mean this valve,  which I showed him on my hand.  While listening to it earlier I'd opened to unit to find the valve was only in the headphone circuit so I removed it. 

A company who surrounds the valves in led lights with a brightness control on the back should be treated with caution. 

They did start out in the UK offering to brand their stuff with the shop name. Another company who has little regard for sound. 

2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

I have one too, bit of a collectors item that one. Only 125 made globally.

Just bear in mind, if looking to experiment the replaceable tube is actually a 6N15, not a 6N10 as I recently found out.

Thanks for the info, specially regarding the valve.

Does the 6N15 come in many variations, as in manufacturers choices, to select from.

How would you describe the sound quality of the amp. 

Any info would be mostly appreciated.

I would also like to comment on the excellent service from Eastwood HiFi.

Sorry to hear about your experience Magicdog. Hopefully they have moved forward from there!!???

5 hours ago, Magicdog said:

The distributors of Vincent gave me a speil on their range particularly their "valve" CD player. He explained how the valve stage adds richness to the sound to which I responded -you mean this valve,  which I showed him on my hand.  While listening to it earlier I'd opened to unit to find the valve was only in the headphone circuit so I removed it. 

A company who surrounds the valves in led lights with a brightness control on the back should be treated with caution. 

They did start out in the UK offering to brand their stuff with the shop name. Another company who has little regard for sound. 

I've never seen a Vincent in the flesh but they always 'look' good but seem to suffer from a reputaion that carries  no vibe no decent grounded reputation and they seem to end up in places like Grays online auctions with slightly inflated RRP's but ridiculously low starting bids and middling end bids or winning bids.

No resale va;ue is the bottom line I've thought.

3 hours ago, paulk said:

Does the 6N15 come in many variations, as in manufacturers choices, to select from.

Sorry to hear about your experience Magicdog. Hopefully they have moved forward from there!!???

Eastwood have a good reputation that's for sure. 

Can anyone explain why a new distributor warrants selling the old distrubutor's entire stock?

Does the new distributor get brand new model runs across the board and if they don't then doesn't the big discount on old stocks just undermine the new stock which also has to wear the old stock and brand name failures in the market place?

The whole thing is a bit scetchy, reminds me of the dodgy Persian carpet trade.

31 minutes ago, Luc said:

I've never seen a Vincent in the flesh but they always 'look' good but seem to suffer from a reputaion that carries  no vibe no decent grounded reputation and they seem to end up in places like Grays online auctions with slightly inflated RRP's but ridiculously low starting bids and middling end bids or winning bids.

No resale va;ue is the bottom line I've thought.

Eastwood have a good reputation that's for sure. 

Can anyone explain why a new distributor warrants selling the old distrubutor's entire stock?

Does the new distributor get brand new model runs across the board and if they don't then doesn't the big discount on old stocks just undermine the new stock which also has to wear the old stock and brand name failures in the market place?

The whole thing is a bit scetchy, reminds me of the dodgy Persian carpet trade.

It's probably more a situation of the old distributor clearing their stock and hoping that the majority of it survives the warranty period. I suspect that Vincent themselves would provide some accommodation to the new distributor to shield them from undue warranty exposure anyway as, after all, the public just sees "Vincent", they care not one bit for who the middleman is. This helps protect the brand name and the cut price selling is a clinical way of taking the old distributor out of the equation entirely.

Guest thathifiguy
4 hours ago, paulk said:

I replaced my SV-237 with it and so far it has beeen nothing but impressive. Ive got some NOS 6N15’s on the way (6J6/ECC91) from Sylvania and RCA to experiment with.

I’m happy to dismiss any naysayers of the brand. In my experience, the performance of Vincent has significantly outweighed the price and during initial auditioning, beat out some far more reputable brands comfortably.

10 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

I replaced my SV-237 with it and so far it has beeen nothing but impressive. Ive got some NOS 6N15’s on the way (6J6/ECC91) from Sylvania and RCA to experiment with.

I’m happy to dismiss any naysayers of the brand. In my experience, the performance of Vincent has significantly outweighed the price and during initial auditioning, beat out some far more reputable brands comfortably.

Hi Tarkan thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your comments on your experience with the amp (and brand) and the info on the valve type.

Having no experience with the Vincent brand I will reserve judgement until I've seen and heard the amp. Although I must say I'm looking forward to it.                                                                                                                                                                        Lots of comments have been written about Vincent products, good and bad, so it will be interesting. They do seem to do ok in the press regarding reviews (no recommendation of course) that piqued my interest enough to try one.

If it turns out to be something I don't enjoy, then that's my problem.

Regarding warranty issues, as this was high on my priorities due to current situation, Steve (from Eastwood) assured me that the current distributor will cover any warranty claims until a time when the new distributor is decided.

Anyway everyone's experience is different. I know I'm looking forward to mine.

• Like 2

Well I took a punt today and purchased the Vincent SP-994 power amp in the run out sale. It's rated at 300w in to 8 ohms and 600w in to 4 ohm's, which is of more interest to me given I have VA speakers. Plus possibly the biggest bonus is the first 60w's is class A which should be interesting. 

I originally wanted the SP-998 mono's but as the saying goes "you snooze you loose" but at the price they are sellIng this gear it's hard to imagine that you can loose to much at all even if I don't end up liking its SQ and decide to resell it.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Well I took a punt today and purchased the Vincent SP-994 power amp in the run out sale. It's rated at 300w in to 8 ohms and 600w in to 4 ohm's, which is of more interest to me given I have VA speakers. Plus possibly the biggest bonus is the first 60w's is class A which should be interesting. 

I originally wanted the SP-998 mono's but as the saying goes "you snooze you loose" but at the price they are sellIng this gear it's hard to imagine that you can loose to much at all even if I don't end up liking its SQ and decide to resell it.

cheers Terry

Funny you should mention Vienna's, looking at a pair of either Mozart's or Baby Grands myself.

2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Funny you should mention Vienna's, looking at a pair of either Mozart's or Baby Grands myself.

Seriously Tarkan if you can go the Baby Grands you will not be disappointed at all,, having said that the Mozart's are very nice as well.

I hope you enjoy as much as I have what ever Vienna's you decide to get.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Steve loves us. http://www.duralhifi.com.au/blog.htm

I think Steve owes you a beer or two to say the least, I know of another SNA member who I rang after seeing your original post who then went on and purchased a pair of SP-T700 Hybrid Mono's and a SP-994 power amp just for good measure. I'd hazard a guess that most of the sales of the Vincent gear came from your original post.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3