2 hours ago, Besty22 said:

Hi all, so some interesting/annoying developments.

The Onkyo receiver i bought , which was only 580 down from $1400 was rubbish,

I installed it over Australia day weekend , within one week the HDMI board was on the fritz. It would play video to the projector for 5 or 10 or 15mins then sound and picture would drop right out , then come back , sometimes with audio, sometimes not.

Anyway it wasn't my first rodeo so I did some troubleshooting, and located the amp as the problem. 

I took it back to JB HIFI and they refunded me no questions, 

They offered me a deal on the sony 1080 but I declined and got my refund.

Then I went to Eastwood HiFi and picked up the Yamaha RX-V3083. We have an old  RXV3900 in the front room so I knew the quality would (hopefully) be better and it was.

After re hooking everything up everything works as it should, We watched The Empire Strikes Back. Flawless. 

I did come across one issue where our Fetch TV box wasn't showing a picture on the TV so i looked into the settings on the Yamaha and turns out it has a setting to check the TV for max resolution. It was trying to send 4k to my 4k tv but the 10m cable I used is , well , rubbish. I did a double check with the Xbox which actually has a resolution test page in the settings. 

So , my question is . Does anyone know of a good brand HDMI cable for 12m run. I dont want to run a cable for a third time. lol

Am I better off going for HDMi over Cat6 or use an active HDMI cable? I prefer the single cable solution if its viable. Ideally I want to put a cable in that can do 4k/60 if there is such a thing. 

Besty

For 4K / UHD over a 12m cable the only reliable option is the Ruipro cable from EzyHD. Not cheap, but it will save a whole lot of mucking around with junk that doesn't work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quark said:

For 4K / UHD over a 12m cable the only reliable option is the Ruipro cable from EzyHD. Not cheap, but it will save a whole lot of mucking around with junk that doesn't work.

Thanks Quark

Thats not cheap but nothing is really. 

I will likely get that , there’s no rush but I am missing the 4K a little bit. 

I appreciate the link. ?

1 minute ago, Besty22 said:

Thanks Quark

Thats not cheap but nothing is really. 

I will likely get that , there’s no rush but I am missing the 4K a little bit. 

I appreciate the link. ?

I'm about to move into a new place and do a HT build - I'll be using a Ruipro after finding my current active cable won't carry 4K if the frame rate is >24Hz.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm about to move into a new place and do a HT build - I'll be using a Ruipro after finding my current active cable won't carry 4K if the frame rate is >24Hz.

That’s good to know. I was tossing up getting an active cable but I had some concerns 

thank you

6 hours ago, Besty22 said:

I did come across one issue where our Fetch TV box wasn't showing a picture on the TV so i looked into the settings on the Yamaha and turns out it has a setting to check the TV for max resolution. It was trying to send 4k to my 4k tv but the 10m cable I used is , well , rubbish. I did a double check with the Xbox which actually has a resolution test page in the settings. 

So , my question is . Does anyone know of a good brand HDMI cable for 12m run. I dont want to run a cable for a third time. lol

Am I better off going for HDMi over Cat6 or use an active HDMI cable? I prefer the single cable solution if its viable. Ideally I want to put a cable in that can do 4k/60 if there is such a thing. 

Besty

why doesnt surprise me with the onkyo besty, they are now doing the pioneer receivers too heaven forbid ! good to hear you found an option that works in end.

ps re the cable. I notice you do mention 10m...well if you can manage to replace the 10m by another 10m then below would be my suggestion in the office works comsol 10m 4k hdmi cable.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

i have been using no issue and it passes 4k 50/60 and is relatively inexpensive at $69 and comes with a good replacement guarantee no questions asked. have been using with uhd as well goodness knows how many discs played and same with the xbox one X, fetchtv, apple tv 4k etc all work.

but if stuck with 12m requirement then no choice at all the ruipro as suggested by quark, though expensive is the only way to go.

wiht any cable I would make sure you test it well with a variety of source before running it internally through walls under house etc.

20 minutes ago, :) al said:

why doesnt surprise me with the onkyo besty, they are now doing the pioneer receivers too heaven forbid ! good to hear you found an option that works in end.

ps re the cable. I notice you do mention 10m...well if you can manage to replace the 10m by another 10m then below would be my suggestion in the office works comsol 10m 4k hdmi cable.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

i have been using no issue and it passes 4k 50/60 and is relatively inexpensive at $69 and comes with a good replacement guarantee no questions asked. have been using with uhd as well goodness knows how many discs played and same with the xbox one X, fetchtv, apple tv 4k etc all work.

but if stuck with 12m requirement then no choice at all the ruipro as suggested by quark, though expensive is the only way to go.

wiht any cable I would make sure you test it well with a variety of source before running it internally through walls under house etc.

Thanks Al. Yeah the 10m would work in a pinch. 

It just doesn't leave me much room to play with at the receiver end. 

At the moment I have to put the reciever on the middle shelf of the rack due to the short cable length. I could cut another hole with another cable plate but the wall will be more hole than wall hahaha.

I think I will save for the ruipro and just wait a little while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Everything is going well with the room now. We had an issue where the new Yamaha was dropping signal as well though when playing movies via the projector. 

So I went out and bought better HDMi cables , same thing happened. Then I hooked the HDMi directly to the projector, no issues. Anyway reaching the end of my rope I rang the HiFi shop to discuss.

After a lot of back and forth and troubleshooting we realised that the Receiver has the option to display on HDMI 1 out, HDMI 2 out or HDMI 1+2. So I pressed the button for HDMI 2 only and the problem disappeared. 

So after at least 10 hours of troubleshooting, I have now concluded that the 4K tv is sometimes working in 4K via the dodgy HDMi cable , sort of. Then the amp gets confused and tries to send 4K to the TV but the cable wont let it work properly. 

The morale to my long winded story is , A:- Buy a good cable for more than 10m runs, and B:- Switch of the HDMi you aren't using if cable is dodgy.

I am going to order the Ruprio Cable soon and I think there will never be an issue again.

In other news, it seems that my neighbours have been unintentionally enjoying my home theatre as well , one of them came over on Sunday and said he could feel the movie in his bed. My daughter reckons that was a bit of exaggeration but I got the message. So in the interest of being a good neighbour I agreed to lower the volume and put in place a 10pm curfew on movies like Tron Legacy haha..

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 6:26 PM, Steve M said:

Thanks ... your dogs look bigger than a MSx? Here’s mine (Snowy) , similar to yours and not sure what breed she is as she was a shelter rescue dog. Terrific little dog :thumb: very intelligent and human in her ways, must get a genetic test done to determine what she is. 

Steve.

574CAFD3-9EFD-4995-A98F-CCDFCA1D1888.jpeg

I just came across this thread. Snowy is such an adorable doggy! Yup, we had to get a dog dna test for our little Curly as well. We found out that he's a mixed breed of a Pomeranian and a Lhasa Apso. Also a very adorable tyke.

4.jpg