New walls A.pdf

Hi guys,

As per title my wife wants another dog so as part of the negotiations I brokered the conversion of our rear family room into a new home theatre. (Fair trade I reckon)

I was initially going to have the screen on the short wall but as part of the trade talks it was decided it should be on the long wall.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the attached plan if possible.

If you can see any glaring issues of any sort , please let me know.

Thanks

Chris5a29f142ab455_RoomCapture.JPG.244a119e9a9c24285d34d5e14828550e.JPG

Seems like a fair deal.

Not sure about your room dimensions but it seems to me at least having six seats wide is a bit to wide.

also will the room house a surround sound system,PJ or tv?

it may make a difference.

edit, I just saw the 65" tv and lots of openings.

and noticed the ht speakers

Hi Joz

The room is approx 3.9 x 5.5 long with 2.4m ceilings.

I agree with the 2 x 3 seaters being big so may end up with one 4 seater theatre lounge. 

No plans for a projector at this stage as we have a 65" and 75" TV which we could use.

I am thinking of installing a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 system

That door on the front wall - is it used at all? Can it be blocked? It looks like it could be ruining your speaker placement and you may end up not really having a stereo sweet spot at all. Side seats will be dominated by eiter L or R speaker, while in the middle you will have plenty of side wall reflections. 

Hi the front opening door is only to access the rack ,so wont be used very often. I understand about the far left and right seats being dominated , but that's only the kids seats haha. More than likely we will end up with a smaller 4 seater lounge so maybe it wont be as bad.

How can I avoid "Side Wall Reflections"? 

Excuse my ignorance , but would the room calibration help with that?

I'd personally go the other way with potential 2 rows of 3 seats (back row on a riser). I'd enter thru what you currently plan the rack to be built in, close the current entry door to hang your screen on. Put all equipment AND a projector at the bay window end. That will mean shorter HDMI run to projector if considering UHD, and equipment will be behind listening position so not distracting and leaving a clean "stage area". Once you've watched a movie at home on a 100+ inch screen through even a mediocre projector, you'll never be able to go back to even a 75" TV.

Leave the TV for FTA/Foxtel and live sports. If it is your only viewing room install a drop down screen in front of the telly.

• Like 2

Agreed, I will put a cavity slider in at 90 degrees to front wall and delete the entire 45 degree wall. 

I did prefer this layout as its actually more like a theatre room.

Plus I can sit front and centre as well .

Yes the whole idea of this room is to keep pets away from my gear  

Edited by Besty22

My room is 3.9x6m and I view from 3.5m to screen. Your room will be fine but may need a slightly closer seating position to allow access to gear behind seats. You may end up with a 2nd sub there too, so keep that in mind, mines firing straight into the back of my central back recliner.

5 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

Agreed, I will put a cavity slider in at 90 degrees to front wall and delete the entire 45 degree wall. 

I did prefer this layout as its actually more like a theatre room.

Plus I can sit front and centre as well .

Yes the whole idea of this room is to keep pets away from my gear  

Cavity slider is terrible for sound isolation unless spending mega bucks. Do you need to consider sound leakage from the room? Kids? Say perhaps when wife is watching/listening to something else in another part of the house?

Edited by blybo

45 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

Unfortunately cant go wider as thats a bedroom next door.

Will probably end up the guest room 

I see (again) it's not a new add on, the room already exists. You are just commandeering it for your own pleasure :thumb:

19 hours ago, Besty22 said:

I like the idea of a slider

When you close the door there will be nothing to dampen the sound.  All you will have is a cavity where the door recesses to, which is merely plaster board and timber studs.  This will cause immense noise bleeding, no different than leaving a door to a HT room wide open.  You'll hear it throughout the house.

It's no dramas so long as you're aware of the impact that a slider will have...

1 hour ago, Besty22 said:

So after a bit of high level talks, this is what Im "Allowed" to have. 

Thanks for all the input guys

Capture2.JPG.01744d436cad28fd749c56762307080c.JPGs

This is a marked improvement on your first choice, good work, you've got the bones of an excellent set-up right there.