Best 2 channel amp around $1k

Hi guys,

Like the tittle says,  what would be the 'best' amp for around a grand?

I will be running it as part of a 7.1.4 home theatre but will be used for the fl and fr channels.

Speakers are b&w 683's set for bi wiring so a 4 channel (or 5 or 6) could also work (but probably out of budget).

So far i have found the emotiva basx 300 that appears to suit my needs and is under budget. Also has good power (150wpc)

Is there any other worthy contenders under $1600?

Cheers.

It will be hooked up with the sony x800 sacd player and a yamaha 3083 avr.

Edited by Home theatre rookie

in a 2ch path the weak link for 2ch will be the x800 sacd.

for $1600 look second hand can pick up likes of a musical fidelity A5, a5.5, M6 series at genuine 200- 250 wpc and which are top class 2ch integrated with ht bypass and work very well for 2ch duties as with supporting multichannel with its multichannel removing weakest link ie the AVR for 2ch.

if wanting to stick wiht yamaha there is also the A2000 or A2100 integrated amps that show up 2nd hand, again great amps for 2ch and with their ht bypass will work in with the avr for ht theatre. matching these amps are also the yamaha 2000 and 2100 dedicated 2ch sacd players

with b&Ws dont ignore rotel which are a great match. there are the rc1570 or model before rc 1580 2ch integrated that would no doubt be a great match. both have the ability to be setup for ht bypass to integrate into AV systems.

I have just installed one (last night) in my 7.1.4 setup for LR and it is fantastic. 

I ordered mine direct from Emotiva ($660AUD landed) or here its listed as $849.

Built  like a brick,  runs extremely kool.  I would suggest more than enough power at:

Power Output (two channels driven)

150 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms
300 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms

Edited by zmacka

Nice one zmacka, i ended up getting the emotiva a 500 and was going to bi amp the 2 front speakers for 220wpc but on some advice i was given, i bi amped using the channels avalible on the receiver and will be using the emotiva to pre amp my 4 atmos channels.

Im just yet to figure out how im ment to connect the 4 atmos channels when theres only 2 pre out channels avalible for atmos/height speakers on the 3070/3083.

On 08/12/2017 at 7:34 AM, Home theatre rookie said:

Like the tittle says,  what would be the 'best' amp for around a grand?

I will be running it as part of a 7.1.4 home theatre but will be used for the fl and fr channels.

For around $1K you'd get better bag for buck power amp wise with something secondhand.

This for $650, has poweramp inputs 

If you want to go to a little trouble:

This would be nice for $600, I know it looks an integrated, but it's just a passive pot in front of a poweramp, and as far as the heat goes it could be re-biased down for 240v conditions without the srep down trany.

Cheers George   

Edited by georgehifi