ah-um

Okki Nokki dealer in Sydney?

I'm looking to get a vacuum RCM under the $1000 mark and the Okki Nokki seems to fit the bill but google doesn't seem to come up with a dealer in Sydney. Anyone know a dealer that currently stocks  them?

Admin

Consider the Consonance as well?

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance/

@Krispy Audio should be able to help you out with a Okki Nokki in Sydney however.

Sponsor

Thanks for the plug Marc! Although now only offering the VPI RCMs (albeit at a higher price). 

@ah-um May I suggest you consider a cleaner that vacs from the underside?  That way, if you decide to get an ultrasonic cleaner down the track (which I would recommend) you don't have to worry about making a shim to keep the wet face of the record off the cleaner.  The Record Doctor V fits the bill nicely and is well within your budget.  It cleans records just as well as any of the more expensive vacs and it makes a better partner to an ultrasonic cleaner than most. 

Thanks Marc and ABG for your suggestions. Looking into the Consonance, and an ultrasonic could indeed come later - the only thing is I quite fancied an automatic table because I'll be doing quite a bit of cleaning .

Edited by ah-um
spelling!

An automatic cleaner definitely makes the process easier, but you can't beat the results from an ultrasonic. It's noticeably better than a vac machine. You're welcome to come around to my place and see how it works/test if for efficacy. PM me if you're interested. My whole process takes about a minute of manual labour per record and about 16 minutes total cleaning time from start to finish. 

Thanks ABG, really appreciate that. I'll probably start with a vacuum RCM for now though as I guess it'll help in conjunction with an ultrasonic in the future anyway. 

I have the record doctor V and it really isn't a lot of work. Does a great job especially with Melody Mate https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Melody-Mate-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Solution-for-45s-LPs-and-12-singles-1-lit/131538506651?hash=item1ea04e539b:g:xloAAOSwyP5aDoe0.

Like many others I started with a RCM and have gone down the US route which is far superior. The record doctor is also much cheaper and will leave you with funds for more records.  Most RCMs get very hot so there is only a limited number of records you can clean before you need to let the machine cool down.

10 hours ago, ah-um said:

I'm looking to get a vacuum RCM under the $1000 mark and the Okki Nokki seems to fit the bill but google doesn't seem to come up with a dealer in Sydney. Anyone know a dealer that currently stocks  them?

i ordered mine from Wyndham Audio and had it delivered.

Didn’t know that about RCMs getting hot.

US being better does seem to be the consensus. I’ve delved a little into one or two threads but with DIY not being one of my strong points and some possible safety issues with the cheaper US baths, a vacuum unit seems the starting point atm to get through the big pile I have to get through.

9 minutes ago, ah-um said:

Didn’t know that about RCMs getting hot.

US being better does seem to be the consensus. I’ve delved a little into one or two threads but with DIY not being one of my strong points and some possible safety issues with the cheaper US baths, a vacuum unit seems the starting point atm to get through the big pile I have to get through.

More important than the actual choice of machine, IMHO, is the choice of applicator/brush. I have found this (non-audiophile) applicator to be significantly more effective than any other and extremely effective at actually getting into the grooves and agitating the cleaner where it needs agitation. Using Melody Mate cleaning fluid and this brush, I rarely have the need to revert to an ultrasonic bath before a vacuum clean. On records with stubborn noise, an ultrasonic bath then vacuum is the ticket.

edger-pad-cut-outs.jpg.42c22ee2555670e214a431878363f712.jpg

It's a Shur-Line paint applicator available from Bunnings.

Edited by Hensa

14 minutes ago, Hensa said:

More important than the actual choice of machine, IMHO, is the choice of applicator/brush. I have found this (non-audiophile) applicator to be significantly more effective than any other and extremely effective at actually getting into the grooves and agitating the cleaner where it needs agitation. Using Melody Mate cleaning fluid and this brush, I rarely have the need to revert to an ultrasonic bath before a vacuum clean. On records with stubborn noise, an ultrasonic bath then vacuum is the ticket.

edger-pad-cut-outs.jpg.42c22ee2555670e214a431878363f712.jpg

It's a Shur-Line paint applicator available from Bunnings.

I've got one of those! Up to now I've used a Spin Clean, and used one of the smaller  Shur-Line applicators for stubborn spots (might have been your recommendation I read in the past?), but didn't realise they were that good. Will give it a go - thanks! And Melody Mate keeps coming up so that's on my shopping list.

Edited by ah-um
Had another thought

Cheers, looks a good buy, but rather go for new. @Wimbo

Edited by ah-um