Best Nearfield Speakers for Listening (Not monitoring)

5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

All the SVS stuff is great for its price. At 1700 RRP they're not cheap but they're easily a class above.

Great to hear. It is definitely one of few I am particularly interested in. I just wonder how it compares with LS50 which same class I believe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Great to hear. It is definitely one of few I am particularly interested in. I just wonder how it compares with LS50 which same class I believe. 

Alas I've never done a comparison having never heard the LS50, but technologically they're quite different: One is all the classic standard things we know about loudspeaker design while the other is quite a radical departure. I'm always wary of any speaker with the monitor label attached.

• Like 1

Guest yamaha_man

I used Wilson Audio Sasha with huge success. Many members heard them in the then tiny room sand can attest to their performance.

Just now, Yamaha Man said:

I used Wilson Audio Sasha with huge success. Many members heard them in the then tiny room sand can attest to their performance.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. It might be too big for my small room and more importantly it costs over 30K which is way above my pay-grade. :) 

Just now, Yamaha Man said:

BTW, my room was also 3x3.5. 

Much less than 30k these days. 

Above my pay grade also but you only live once. :party

So True... :) Never tried it before but it must be darn GOOD.

For my personal situ... I listen behind desk so I cannot imagine putting massive and yet beautiful Sasha behind desk  :)  

I listen in the nearfield in my study system, the room being small-2.5m by 3.5m give or take a bit. I've used a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydns for 7 or 8 years now and they work really well. I've got them out in the room a bit but even close to the back wall there's no problem as they have a front port cleverly integrated with the tweeter so the size of the speaker box can remain small. Bass never overpowers the room which is something that can be a real issue in a small place.

Excuse the mess but the in laws are here and I'm sorting through some unused gear so the boxes have to go in my study.

5a28add574032_Study(1).jpg.25ad92ff4d09f2d0b0d36acb9d5280e3.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spider27 said:

For those who mainly listening at near field (1-1.5m from speaker), which speakers would be ideal?

Just from my own highly subjective experience, not any expertise - LS50's with an SVS SB-2000 under the desk, driven by a Peachtree 125se.

I had the LS50's  as a HiFi system too, ~3m away but they really were something else (for me) as a nearfield setup.

I've moved a couple times (including interstate) since, so I had to part ways with my old desktop setup but when I'm ready to get another nearfield desk setup, I'll probably go for the active LS50's. And again with a sub under the desk :-)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Just found this whilst googling the LS50's, probably common knowledge for many

http://soundmag.com.au/2017/01/4132/exposed-kef-price-goughing-hi-fi-gear-in-oz/

Good to know. But the price comparison is somehow incorrect. Author compared KEF LS50 Wireless in AU and KEF LS50 standard in Canada.

If we compare same non wireless speaker the price difference is $1944 (AU), $1498 (CAN).

Genelec - depending n budget try 8330 if more disposable income try 8341 or 8351 - not fatiguing clean and clean.

These models have room correction, DAC, pre and power amps built in - you can use outboard DACs ad pre if that is your thing.

If you crave the sleepy Harbeth sound by all means go that way.

I have heard a pair that are flat to 32hz in room - 2 way with 5" drivers in a large room .

The heartbeat at the beginning of DTSOM can be felt.

Another bonus is the tone can be adjusted to suit the users taste.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Phred said:

Genelec - depending n budget try 8330 if more disposable income try 8341 or 8351 - not fatiguing clean and clean.

These models have room correction, DAC, pre and power amps built in - you can use outboard DACs ad pre if that is your thing.

If you crave the sleepy Harbeth sound by all means go that way.

I have heard a pair that are flat to 32hz in room - 2 way with 5" drivers in a large room .

The heartbeat at the beginning of DTSOM can be felt.

Another bonus is the tone can be adjusted to suit the users taste.

Thank you for sharing.  I just watched a video to understand the speaker and this one was interesting comparison between KEF Q30 old speaker and Genelec 8030a. The guy says that it is amazing speaker for monitoring and sound engineering purpose but not there yet to replace his KEF Q30 old speaker completely.  It must be an amazing speaker for nearfield and accurate sound reproduction.  I am just not sure if anyone is using it for purely listening instead of monitoring.  It seems to me that monitoring speaker's main purpose is dead accurate sound reproduction when audiophile speakers' main focus is listening pleasure. I guess that it comes down to personal preference again.. :) 

22 hours ago, Spider27 said:

And a few people suggested Neumann KH120A. I was told that it has even better sound than LS50 with cheaper price. Not as beautiful as the other two options above but may be good contender?? I personally never had a chance so do not know how good it is but interesting to learn more if anyone tried.

attachment.php?attachmentid=618148

Greetings Spider,

My wife uses the little Neumanns for all her mixing. They measure absolutely ruler flat, exceptional even in professional terms. They will blow your head off without compressing if that is your thing. My wife choose them over  numerous other monitors she has worked with. They are not lookers but are built like little bricks. They are built to analyse mixes, no warmth, no bloom, clinical tellers of the truth.For the right listener they might be the bomb, but my wife certainly doesn't sit down to listen to music with them, they are an exceptional tool built to hear everything in a mix.

If if you are plonking them on the desk a set of the little (overpriced) Iso Acoustics stands tightens everything up even further.

There was an add a few months back on SNA for a set of their bigger three way brethren and the matching sub woofer. The sub is worth as much or more than the speakers. If those three ways, (310A?) were still available and the seller was willing to seperate I would want to give them a listen.

My wife brings her mixes out to play on my NS1000s because they are more romanatic....then again they are being driven by 300b's...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Spider27 said:

And a few people suggested Neumann KH120A. I was told that it has even better sound than LS50 with cheaper price. Not as beautiful as the other two options above but may be good contender?? I personally never had a chance so do not know how good it is but interesting to learn more if anyone tried.

attachment.php?attachmentid=618148

Greetings Spider,

My wife uses the little Neumanns for all her mixing. They measure absolutely ruler flat, exceptional even in professional terms. They will blow your head off without compressing if that is your thing. My wife choose them over  numerous other monitors she has worked with. They are not lookers but are built like little bricks. They are built to analyse mixes, no warmth, no bloom, clinical tellers of the truth.For the right listener they might be the bomb, but my wife certainly doesn't sit down to listen to music with them, they are an exceptional tool built to hear everything in a mix.

If if you are plonking them on the desk a set of the little (overpriced) Iso Acoustics stands tightens everything up even further.

There was an add a few months back on SNA for a set of their bigger three way brethren and the matching sub woofer. The sub is worth as much or more than the speakers. If those three ways, (310A?) were still available and the seller was willing to seperate I would want to give them a listen.

My wife brings her mixes out to play on my NS1000s because they are more romanatic....then again they are being driven by 300b's...

Edited by Ooogh
Double post
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Greetings Spider,

Thank you very much for sharing those info. Very helpful.  Neumanns and NS1000s seems like HD800 vs HD650/600 for headphone if I understood correctly.

I used to have HD800 and found that it has amazing clarity and huge soundstage but it was quite fatiguing and cold sounding. On the other hand, HD650 has much easier and more enjoyable to listen with for pure music listening purpose (both paired with hybrid amp). If I monitor, then HD800 would be my weapon of choice but for pure listening enjoyment, HD650 would be my pick for me  :)

Nonetheless, very keen to have a chance to listen to Neumann or Genelec monitors for nearfield listening. They both have great reputation and I admire engineering behind those speakers.

P.S.) I used to have JBL LSR305 monitors for a brief period and got rid of it. I found that it has everything such as clarity, microdynamics and powerful bass but I am just not getting engaged or moved when I listen with it.  I could not figure out why... Sound out of it was just a bit boring or tasteless to me.  It is just my experience and I know that many people are happy with it. :) 

• Like 1

Guest yamaha_man
10 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

My gosh... You have Sasha and Krell amp? That must be magnificent combo. :thumb:

Here's a little tease for you.

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

Guest yamaha_man
16 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Amazing Combo... Just curious.. What speaker is it? I have not seen this speaker before :) 

Wilson Audio Sasha, Yamaha NS-1000 and TAD Reference 1 Mk2.

Edited by yamaha_man