Spider27

Best Nearfield Speakers for Listening (Not monitoring)

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Just watched the video and very interesting indeed. analog active vs digital active... Like the idea of analog active so external dac and preamp can be used. The Elac Argo price would be more or less similar to LS50W. Great to see more and more all in one solution speakers becomes available in marketplace and hope Elac's one has better warranty period than LS50W.  Again, thank you very much for sharing the news :) 

ELAC's current speaker lineup in Australia have 5 year warranty... If the Argo's follow, no complaints there.

There's also GoldenEar coming out with active bookshelves. They typically have 3+ years warranty too.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-digitalaktiv-3-poweredwireless-bookshelf-speaker

Edited by Sean84

16 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

ELAC's current speaker lineup in Australia have 5 year warranty... If the Argo's follow, no complaints there.

There's also GoldenEar coming out with active bookshelves. They typically have 3+ years warranty too.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-digitalaktiv-3-poweredwireless-bookshelf-speaker

Great to know. KEF passive speakers also comes with 5 yr warranty but active is only 1 year. Hope ELAC does offer at least 3 years warranty on active.  

@Spider27 wondering if have heard the kef's ? if found the pmc forward in top end I am not sure how will handle the kefs. I would definitely suggest getting to demo if have the chance :)

Has anyone here heard the JBL L705i or 708i? Id be interested to hear thoughts on these

Sponsor
14 hours ago, PKay said:

Perhaps Mike could elaborate on the near field switch. @Lenehan Audio

Hi PKay

there are quite a few ML1's in recording studios being used as nearfield monitors ! the nearfield switch is for when the speaker is being used within 1m listening distance . Flick the switch back the other way and your in farfield mode .

Xanadu Studios in New York for instance has one pair in the office in farfield mode while another pair used as control monitors in the studio are in nearfield mode.

Nearfield requires a flatter on axis response at 1m whereas Farfield must take into account room reflections which are in play when listening at 3 or 4mtrs.

Cheers Mike Lenehan

12 hours ago, :) al said:

@Spider27 wondering if have heard the kef's ? if found the pmc forward in top end I am not sure how will handle the kefs. I would definitely suggest getting to demo if have the chance :)

Thank you for suggestion. Yes, I used to own LS50 passive version and had mixed opinion on the speaker. In my humble set up (NAD 3020 as preamp, Coda Class A/B 250w power amp), the bass was AMAZEBALL and loved the bass quantity coming out of it. I found that it was Fantastic with modern music (modern pop and EDM). However, when I play with acoustic, jazz and blues/roots, there was something unnatural/artificial about treble region and i mainly listen in that genre hence moved on. It could be my matching system issue at the time but did not have any other amps to pair with....

I only auditioned LS50W briefly (for 15~20 minutes) at Addicted to Audio in Kew a few months ago and could not find any fault with it and it was nice overall.

I am too lazy and willing to bypass the joy of speaker-amp pairing journey. Hence, my upgrade path will be more likely to Active speakers. My shortlist will be HD6, LS50w, Elac Argo....  Dynaudio Focus 20XD would be nice but it is out of budget. 😅 

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, Spider27 said:

Tight space. The room is 3m x 3.5m but my desk is quite close to the wall. The current distance from the speaker to the wall is 40cm and speaker to where I am sitting is 80cm apart.  

Pop down to clef Hi fi and try out the new Proac Tablette 10. These are a sealed box and are spectacular in smaller rooms. They use the same tweeter as the Response series.

Cheers Frank.

I'll add to the KEF recommendations. Not necessarily the LS50, but small coax speakers are inherently better for up close listening than other layouts.

Similar size room to yours with desk and speakers either side of iMac, I use Adam Audio F5 actives, front ported on isoacoustic stands, Schiit Vali 2 valve pre, Modi Multibit DAC & Pro-ject MaiaCD/transport (I stream from the iMac or play CDs). Very musical and non fatiguing to my ears. I have much much older TDL Near Field Monitors (1990s - passive) which are also fantastic. I would also look at Genelac, EVE & Presonus R65s depending on budget. Don't be biased against active studio monitors they offer some of the best bang for bucks and most will have EQ correction which can help in small, corner against the wall type spaces.