Best Nearfield Speakers for Listening (Not monitoring)

Just now, Janjuc said:

Hi,

Just my $0.02 worth, what sounds best to others may not sound  the best for you, you have to go and try to listen to as many speakers as possible, if able try to have a home audition....

JJ

Yes, I agree. Since i cannot audition every speaker, this thread gives me which ones are worth audition since those are recommended by members here are tested by themselves. Out of those suggested ones, will audition handful number of them and will proceed. :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Batty said:

Yes, I had a pair on my desktop at work, very nice they are too and the finish is extremely good.

Thank you. The speaker may not be possible to purchase here in Australia. The Dealer listed in Australia no longer exists if I understood correctly. 

3 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Yes, I agree. Since i cannot audition every speaker, this thread gives me which ones are worth audition since those are recommended by members here are tested by themselves. Out of those suggested ones, will audition handful number of them and will proceed. :)

Alas the SVS can't really be auditioned in a showroom, but Peter from deephzaudio has been obliging for me in the past allowing me to audition subs in my own system before buying one, though they were more expensive than their bookshelf speakers.

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Alas the SVS can't really be auditioned in a showroom, but Peter from deephzaudio has been obliging for me in the past allowing me to audition subs in my own system before buying one, though they were more expensive than their bookshelf speakers.

Yes. SVS ultra is hard to audition. Shops told me that they can order it for me but they do not have them in stock so cannot audition. :( 

Had a chance to listen LS50W from neighbour's house and it was impressive. It was powerful, dynamic and fuller sounding than other similar sized bookshelf speakers.  I wanted to test in nearfield environment so sat close to 1.1m distance. 

The bass goes deeper than ATC SCM7, Harbeth P3ESR, and Genelec G4 and high is clear without any nasty harshness. Only thing that wanted me more was midrange. Somehow, it was a bit grainy for both male & female vocal for me. I may not noticed it if I did not hear Harbeth for instance first but midrange vocal clarity and purity is a bit to be desired at least for me.

Keen to have a listen Lenehan MK1, SVS Ultra, ProAc Response series speakers if there is any chance in the near future.....  :) 

Had a chance to listen LS50W from neighbour's house and it was impressive. It was powerful, dynamic and fuller sounding than other similar sized bookshelf speakers.  I wanted to test in nearfield environment so sat close to 1.1m distance. 

The bass goes deeper than ATC SCM7, Harbeth P3ESR, and Genelec G4 and high is clear without any nasty harshness. Only thing that wanted me more was midrange. Somehow, it was a bit grainy for both male & female vocal for me. I may not noticed it if I did not hear Harbeth for instance first but midrange vocal clarity and purity is a bit to be desired at least for me.

Keen to have a listen Lenehan MK1, SVS Ultra, ProAc Response series speakers if there is any chance in the near future.....  [emoji4] 
Vienna Acoustics Haydns need to be heard if auditioning Standmounts - well set up will sound excellent even from 1 - 1.5m .
Happy to bring a pair along to a shootout! [emoji4]
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, evil c said:

Vienna Acoustics Haydns need to be heard if auditioning Standmounts - well set up will sound excellent even from 1 - 1.5m .
Happy to bring a pair along to a shootout! emoji4.png

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

any of the ls3 5a style...

I particularly loved the little pmc DB1i's lovely little speakers :)

Thank you very much for those suggestions.   I believe that Class A audio in Melbourne carry Vienna and PMC speakers. I will try to contact them and try to demo both at the same time  :) 

I auditioned the Proac Tablette 10's  and bought them from Clef hi fi in South Melbourne, didn't bother with the LS50's because the Proac's sound is what I was looking for.  They are the most complete bookshelf I've owned. 

I could rave all day about these but at approx 2k, I found them to be a no brainer. 

What astonished me more than anything was their ability to fill my 6mt x 7mt room with two large archways opening to a hall and dining section.

If anyone in the market for a fairly accurate bookshelf that won't bleed your ears, I whole heartedly recommend them.

PMC 5.21 and Totem Sky would be my next choices...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maximus said:

I auditioned the Proac Tablette 10's  and bought them from Clef hi fi in South Melbourne, didn't bother with the LS50's because the Proac's sound is what I was looking for.  They are the most complete bookshelf I've owned. 

I could rave all day about these but at approx 2k, I found them to be a no brainer. 

What astonished me more than anything was their ability to fill my 6mt x 7mt room with two large archways opening to a hall and dining section.

If anyone in the market for a fairly accurate bookshelf that won't bleed your ears, I whole heartedly recommend them.

PMC 5.21 and Totem Sky would be my next choices...

Great to know. Thank you very much for sharing. :) 

Guest Runaway

I’m trying to put together a bit of a shootout for @Spider27 and so far, have an original Rogers LS3/5a, a modern Rogers LS5/9, a ProAc Tablette (8 I think), a B&W 805s, @evil c‘s Haydn.  Trying to get a Harbeth and Spendor (yeah room may get a bit crowded) - can anyone help?  I do think speakers react to different amps so may arrange for a couple of different amps.  Will be interesting..  

Just now, Runaway said:

I’m trying to put together a bit of a shootout for @Spider27 and so far, have an original Rogers LS3/5a, a modern Rogers LS5/9, a ProAc Tablette (8 I think), a B&W 805s, @evil c‘s Haydn.  Trying to get a Harbeth and Spendor (yeah room may get a bit crowded) - can anyone help?  I do think speakers react to different amps so may arrange for a couple of different amps.  Will be interesting..  

Thank you so much. That would be really helpful, and also by listening together, can share impression together to get better judgement on speakers. Love to listen together :)  

7 minutes ago, Runaway said:

I can also bring my Epos ES14 if it helps. I recently tested different options (positions and angles) and noticed that it really helps by adding port bungs.  Before putting port bungs, bass gets woolly and getting too much due to not enough space (within a foot) between wall and speaker. After applying bungs, it changed sound characteristics very noticeably and sounds surprisingly good to my ear. :) 

Guest Runaway
6 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

I can also bring my Epos ES14 if it helps. I recently tested different options (positions and angles) and noticed that it really helps by adding port bungs.  Before putting port bungs, bass gets woolly and getting too much due to not enough space (within a foot) between wall and speaker. After applying bungs, it changed sound characteristics very noticeably and sounds surprisingly good to my ear. :) 

Yes, it will be useful to listen to the Epos as esp as you are familiar w it’s sound.  Rear ported speakers requires a bit of space to do well, otherwise you have bung them as the reflection from the rear wall can mess up the sound.  In my living room, I have limited space for my second system and had to look for front ported speakers (the LS5/9) or completely enclosed bookcase (the LS3/5a).  

I do the majority of my listening at my desk so nearfield is highly important for me.

Vaf i90's were brilliant with voices and imaging, sad I sold them when cash poor.

Paradigm 3Se an old pair that are a touch harsh in the tweeters.

Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand se, my current pair that I love.

Axis Voicebox S, these are making a come back in my estimation didn't like them originally but after a few hours they are cleaning up nicely.

Kef LS50 - what's all the fuss I found them lacking in excitement factor despite the glorious looks.

I run with a pair of Vaf subwoofers on the desktop too for truly epic gaming and movies.

Using a Nad D7050 dac/amp with each speaker combo and it's a really useful pc desktop amp.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, warweary said:

I do the majority of my listening at my desk so nearfield is highly important for me.

Vaf i90's were brilliant with voices and imaging, sad I sold them when cash poor.

Paradigm 3Se an old pair that are a touch harsh in the tweeters.

Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand se, my current pair that I love.

Axis Voicebox S, these are making a come back in my estimation didn't like them originally but after a few hours they are cleaning up nicely.

Kef LS50 - what's all the fuss I found them lacking in excitement factor despite the glorious looks.

I run with a pair of Vaf subwoofers on the desktop too for truly epic gaming and movies.

Using a Nad D7050 dac/amp with each speaker combo and it's a really useful pc desktop amp.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with those speakers. :) 

I never tried VAF speaker and keen to try it out in the near future. 

May I ask what amp did you pair with KEF LS50 passive version? I saw some reviews that it goes really well with tube amp.... Have you had a chance to pair with tube amp?

You are welcome. I tried the LS50's with three different amps and in two different spots, on desktop they ran with the aforementioned nad d7050 and a Harman/Kardon HK990.  In the main room I ran the LS50's with a psaudio BHK250 and DSJunior or the HK990.  They did sound their best with the psaudio gear but couldn't compete with the vaf i66 that are the main speakers for the main room.

I like the Dynaudio x18 and the now discontinued S1.4 LE which I would add to any shortlist for new purchases, but then again the vaf evo1 sounded magnificent in their showroom and would look really nice in my custom colour.

There are a lot of great nearfield speakers out there.

• Like 1